PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm seeing people saying last night (Rams-Chiefs) was an awesome game. It sucked

I couldn’t watch the game as the Rams yellow uniforms caused me to temporarily go blind. I’ve always thought the Rams nickname never fit the LA community, so based on the yellow Unis, I’m suggesting they change their nickname to the Los Angeles Urine Samples. It fits the community much better.

Taking physicality out of the game has completely destroyed any concept of defense. If I was a coach, on 3 or 4 occasions in a game, I’d just ignore the inevitable personal foul call and unload on someone. Make them leery of the hard hit again. It’s the only to way to return a semblance of defensive to the game. No headhunting obviously but some good shots to the ribs

The chiefs are a shoot out team, much like the 2007 patriots. Score as many points as possible and hope the other team can't keep up.

Is this true? The 2007 defense roster is a who's who of New England mythology (Bru, Vrabes, Rosie, Big Sey, Wilfork, Warren, Rodney, plus guys like Seau, Adalius and Asante). They kept teams to 20 or under in 11 games and only allowed an opponent into the 30's once. The LB corp made the cover of Sports Illustrated, IIRC.

november-12-2007-sports-illustrated-cover-football-portrait-of-new-picture-id121219258

2007 were a high scoring team, but I don't think they were like the 2018 Chiefs defensively.

If Pats were playing last night against either LA or KC, I doubt they'll win the game with the current state they are in. I say that because as bad/inconsistent as our defense has been over the course of the season, our offense hasn't been good either. Usually our offense carries the team to start the season while defense finds its groove. Unfortunately, whether it's for lack of execution or injuries or whatever it may be, we have struggled so far on both side of the ball.

The outcome may be different if it were a home game though. All that said, I am happy KC lost because that gives us a chance to get HFA. It sucks that we have to win out and hope that they lose a game along the way (which seems highly unlikekly). It is also unlikely that we will win out. :D

I don't disagree with you at all, but I hope TB and team would have a few less turnovers.

When do you know that defense is a dying art? When the couple of good plays need to stem the whole narrative of defense because the remaining 70+ were a complete suckfest.

The game was fun to watch and reminded me of how pi$$ed we were during the Super Bowl against the Eagles for playing such inept defense.

I don't think either one of those two teams will be in the Super Bowl. They make mistakes on offense and their defenses can't stop anybody. Both QBs had two strip sacks each, and theyr threw a combined six interceptions. Anybody that knows how to manage the clock and move the chains beats either one of those teams.

When the Rams had that 40-30 lead after the pick six, they played man-to-man press coverage on Tyreek Hill, the one guy they had to stop. He wound up in the end zone with the ball on a 25-yar d pass play that was blown coverage with no safety help. Morons.

The Rams took no one away and hoped for (and got) turnovers. Lucky is better than good, I guess. The Chiefs defense just plain sucks.

If the Patriots play the Chiefs in the playoffs, Tyreek Hill will be in for a long day and lots of hits. Mahomes needs to be forced to stay behind his offensive line. When he steps up and throws moving forward he's deadly. Flat-footed he sucks. Mahomes was also exhausted at the end. That last interception was ten yards short and looked like the common Denver Manning Duck.

Even the defensive juggernauts of Wade Phillips and McVey couldn't stop Tyreek Hill, a.k.a. Speedy Gonzalez. He's a short, agile reciever with incredible athleticism that's beaten our slow, unathletic defense a number of times.

He reminds of a more athletic prime Amendola, who would do the same thing in the endzone or on 3rd downs, when we needed him the most.

As we saw last night, all the Chiefs need to do is have Hill in the backfield and just chuck it up for grabs (which he will grab and expose whomever covers him) for an easy TD...

Nobody has experienced the horrific effects of "miracle catches" like the Patriots have. See Plaxico Buress, Mario Manningham, Doug Baldwin, Marshawn Lynch, Zach Ertz, Nick Foles, etc...

The question makes zero sense. On top of those two stats that I quoted for you previously, Kansas City became the first team EVER to score over 50 and lose. You're welcome to believe that anything remotely resembling defense was playing last night if you wish, but everything else points to the contrary.

KC's offense scored 36.

Welp, I was entertained. Lead changes, missed XPs (one resulting in a tie game at the half). Defensive scores. It was a crazy game. When I am not watching the Pats I think a game like that is more interesting than watching teams punt 12 times.

My preference is for more defensive football. My problem with last night wasn't really with the game itself (though it was personally boring to me because it really felt like two offenses playing against air), but with two things:

1) It was entirely too predictable going in. I would have enjoyed a crazy 54-51 game in a league where no one saw that coming. But this was the highest over/under in Vegas history I believe, and not a single person didn't see a shootout coming. That's not intriguing to me.

2) There was a concerted effort to push the narrative in the broadcast that what we were seeing was AMAZING. They are trying way too hard to try to convince me that I should enjoy this more than tough, defensive ball, and I just never will.

My preference is for more defensive football. My problem with last night wasn't really with the game itself (though it was personally boring to me because it really felt like two offenses playing against air), but with two things:

1) It was entirely too predictable going in. I would have enjoyed a crazy 54-51 game in a league where no one saw that coming. But this was the highest over/under in Vegas history I believe, and not a single person didn't see a shootout coming. That's not intriguing to me.

2) There was a concerted effort to push the narrative in the broadcast that what we were seeing was AMAZING. They are trying way too hard to try to convince me that I should enjoy this more than tough, defensive ball, and I just never will.
When playing football in my school says my preference was playing defense because I could TACKLE people and push them around. I can't imagine what it's like these days for defenders having their hands tied by crap rules changes. Must be frustrating as hell. All because of fantasy football.

When playing football in my school says my preference was playing defense because I could TACKLE people and push them around. I can't imagine what it's like these days for defenders having their hands tied by crap rules changes. Must be frustrating as hell. All because of fantasy football.

You think the rule changes were made for fantasy football o_O

Can we at least put into perspective that this was one game? Both of these teams are constructed to where they have unbelievable innovative offenses, and very flawed defenses. This was bound to happen.
No, we most certainly can not put into perspective that this was one game. Here are some finals from this year:

48-40
42-37
43-37
45-42
43-40
45-35
52-21
51-14
54-51

OK, sure.... if you want to call 54-51 an outlier, fine. But then you can't call all those other games outliers too.

The rams had 5 turn overs, two turned into touchdowns, 3 sacks and a win against the other best offense in the league.

The chiefs are a shoot out team, much like the 2007 patriots. Score as many points as possible and hope the other team can't keep up.
Bull. One thing that Patriots team doesn't get credit for is how great their defense was as well. IIRC, they were 4th in the league in PA. That is nothing like the 2018 Chiefs, currently 29th.

People are out of control here.

Last year the Rams and Iggles were 1 and 2 in offense, played and it was 43-35

In 2016 Falcons and Saints were 1 and 2 and the average score was 42-32

When two high scoring teams with crappy defenses face off, it happens.
Except your above stats support the point regarding how out of control scoring is. Big difference between 74 points and 105 when looking at #1 vs. #2.

Last edited:
Bull. One thing that Patriots team doesn't get credit for is how great their defense was as well. IIRC, they were 4th in the league in PA. That is nothing like the 2018 Chiefs, currently 29th.
The Pats lost the SB 17-14, and it took a miracle to hit 17. Their defense was very good (although aging).

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back