PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm seeing people saying last night (Rams-Chiefs) was an awesome game. It sucked

The game was unwatchable since it was on BSPN. I only watch free TV...

Remember that Jetes, Lolphins game in primetime some years ago, I remember everyone calling that a great game but back then two teams scoring near 50 points was unusal.

Way back in 03-04, the Colts and Chiefs lined up for a shootout in the AFC Divisional game. I don't think either team punted, with the Colts winning 38-31.

Meanwhile, the Patriots and Titans fought it out in the Ice Bowl...17-14 Pats, a field-position, defensive struggle.

I watched the other game shaking my head. Awful football. I feared that was the future of the league when the rule-changes started after the Pats then beat Lord Peyton the following week.

Now I find myself longing for the days when 38-31 was a high-scoring shootout.

I'm becoming utterly uninterested in the product the NFL is putting out.I don't find it particularly exciting to see Tyreke Hill running 80 yards untouched after those cheap little rub-slant plays.

When it's once in a while, it's exciting. When it's every damned drive, it's boring. The rules need to shift back to make defense something more than having four guys scrambling to kill...oops, I mean tickle, a QB within 2 seconds.

I couldn’t agree more! The peak of my NFL interest was the early 2000s easily. I loved those Patriots teams and how they won. It should be hard to score! I respect a dominant defensive effort! But now you can’t do anything to an opposing QB or WR to stop them, and fantasy football is so big now, one’s got to think that this is the direction the NFL wants to go. I don’t like it one bit. If I wanted to watch arena football that’s what I’d watch.

Why did you, when professional NFL defensive players have their hands this close to being literally tied behind their backs?

Meanwhile, Next Big Hope QBs stand and/or run around looking to chuck another Long Ball which we all know the chicks (& the Suits) dig, with the expectation that those entitled punks
will be given yet another Defensive Pass Interference or Roughing The QB hankie, if not both;
and faux-brave WRs are getting away with Offensive Pass Interference on nearly every play, yet are the first ones to scream for a hankie from the nice old men in striped shirts if one of those mean, nasty brutes from the other team dares touch them.

This game, and the Commissioner who controls it, has become a feckin Joke.

If I liked this post 100 times, it still wouldn’t be enough. Great post!

The chiefs are a shoot out team, much like the 2007 patriots. Score as many points as possible and hope the other team can't keep up.
What? Are you confusing the 07 team with the 11 team? The 07 Pats were 4th in both yards and points allowed. You don't go 16-0 by having a bad D.

The game has been consistently changing throughout its entire history. This is just yet another evolution of it and it will certainly not be the last. Nothing about it is dead.
I'm sure that when they outlawed mass formations at the turn of the 20th century there were pearl-clutchers saying "Football is dead!"
And I'm sure that when they required helmets there were pearl-clutchers saying "Football is dead!"
And I'm sure that when they legalized the forward pass there were pearl-clutchers saying "Football is dead!"
And I'm sure that when they changed the shape of the ball to make it more pointy there were pearl-clutchers saying "Football is dead!"
And on and on and on...

What? Are you confusing the 07 team with the 11 team? The 07 Pats were 4th in both yards and points allowed. You don't go 16-0 by having a bad D.
The '07 defense, while not bad, was overrated. The offense seldom gave them a short field to defend and all the scoring forced opponents to go one-dimensional, which also helps the defense a lot.

I'm sure that when they outlawed mass formations at the turn of the 20th century there were pearl-clutchers saying "Football is dead!"
And I'm sure that when they required helmets there were pearl-clutchers saying "Football is dead!"
And I'm sure that when they legalized the forward pass there were pearl-clutchers saying "Football is dead!"
And I'm sure that when they changed the shape of the ball to make it more pointy there were pearl-clutchers saying "Football is dead!"
And on and on and on...

Exactly none of those had the defensive side of the ball going the way of the dinosaur the way the rules changes since '04 have. 1/10 example. Would not post again.

I found it very entertaining mainly because it was competitive with multiple lead changes. For those that complain of the lack of defense, the same argument can be said about offense when there are less than 20 points scored with 15 punts in a game. I like both kinds of games so long as they are competitive and elite skill is displayed.

I don't really understand the "purist" or "real" football argument. This game was an instant classic. The talk shows are buzzing and the NFL loves it. Ratings go up for games like this and that's what it's about.

I grew up watching football in the 70's so I'm not some labelled "millennial" that some like to use in a derogatory way. Football as a sport is at risk due to decreased participation. They are adapting to the environment and their product needs to continue to be developed and marketed. It's simple business and not some sacred tradition that some feel needs to be honored.

What used to make football great was the strategy, and it has been compared to chess for a good reason. You have a whole bunch of different players ranging vastly in weight, size, speed, and skills.

It was at its best prior to roughly 2004. That’s because teams had identities built around various areas: a smash mouth running game, a shut down defense. Games could be won by field position and turnovers were critical, and there were many ways to build a winning team. The variety is what made it interesting, as you often had a clash in styles.

From roughly 2004-17, it got pretty bad with such a heavy focus on the passing game, but defense at least mattered somewhat.

In 2018, it’s just absolute crap. Winning the turnover battle is almost irrelevant. Margins of error are huge and virtually irrelevant. It’s just a gigantic scoring fest. There’s no suspense since the offense just dominates the defense. Bad quarterbacks have better passer ratings then Joe Montana. Good quarterbacks frequently top 40 points. In many ways, it’s a disservice to good QBs and good players in general, since anyone is capable of completely dominating a game rendering 88 players virtually irrelevant...it’s like turning football into a tennis match between two players. This is isn’t a competitive, balanced sport that requires a lot of philosophy anymore, it’s just fireworks and flash. It’s total **** that isn’t worth watching.

What used to make football great was the strategy, and it has been compared to chess for a good reason. You have a whole bunch of different players ranging vastly in weight, size, speed, and skills.

It was at its best prior to roughly 2004. That’s because teams had identities built around various areas: a smash mouth running game, a shut down defense. Games could be won by field position and turnovers were critical, and there were many ways to build a winning team. The variety is what made it interesting, as you often had a clash in styles.

From roughly 2004-17, it got pretty bad with such a heavy focus on the passing game, but defense at least mattered somewhat.

In 2018, it’s just absolute crap. Winning the turnover battle is almost irrelevant. Margins of error are huge and virtually irrelevant. It’s just a gigantic scoring fest. There’s no suspense since the offense just dominates the defense. Bad quarterbacks have better passer ratings then Joe Montana. Good quarterbacks frequently top 40 points. In many ways, it’s a disservice to good QBs and good players in general, since anyone is capable of completely dominating a game rendering 88 players vidtually irrelevant. This is isn’t a competitiveness, balanced sport that requires a lot of philosophy anymore, it’s just fireworks and flash. It’s total **** that isn’t worth watching.

Chief called. He said this is it.

7 turnovers, almost all because the QBs screwed up
21 penalties

Instant classic!
rofl.gif

The game was fun to watch and reminded me of how pi$$ed we were during the Super Bowl against the Eagles for playing such inept defense.

I don't think either one of those two teams will be in the Super Bowl. They make mistakes on offense and their defenses can't stop anybody. Both QBs had two strip sacks each, and theyr threw a combined six interceptions. Anybody that knows how to manage the clock and move the chains beats either one of those teams.

When the Rams had that 40-30 lead after the pick six, they played man-to-man press coverage on Tyreek Hill, the one guy they had to stop. He wound up in the end zone with the ball on a 25-yar d pass play that was blown coverage with no safety help. Morons.

The Rams took no one away and hoped for (and got) turnovers. Lucky is better than good, I guess. The Chiefs defense just plain sucks.

If the Patriots play the Chiefs in the playoffs, Tyreek Hill will be in for a long day and lots of hits. Mahomes needs to be forced to stay behind his offensive line. When he steps up and throws moving forward he's deadly. Flat-footed he sucks. Mahomes was also exhausted at the end. That last interception was ten yards short and looked like the common Denver Manning Duck.

No, it wasn't, and you should feel shame for buying into that nonsense.

Are you kidding me? It's a football game for goodness sakes!! Plenty of things in life to be ashamed of but this isn't is one of them.

You should try to be a little more open to opinions that differ from yours.

If Pats were playing last night against either LA or KC, I doubt they'll win the game with the current state they are in. I say that because as bad/inconsistent as our defense has been over the course of the season, our offense hasn't been good either. Usually our offense carries the team to start the season while defense finds its groove. Unfortunately, whether it's for lack of execution or injuries or whatever it may be, we have struggled so far on both side of the ball.

The outcome may be different if it were a home game though. All that said, I am happy KC lost because that gives us a chance to get HFA. It sucks that we have to win out and hope that they lose a game along the way (which seems highly unlikekly). It is also unlikely that we will win out. :D

yup...I thought it was boring actually..Give me a 20-17 game where TDs actually mean something. Losing interest in the NFL...

I let myself fall asleep shortly after the second half started and I only half regret it. Got the best of both worlds when I just so happened to wake up immediately before the game sealing pick. Saw the score, was like "wtf?" and fell back asleep.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back