PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do Patriot fans have less loyalty to Tom Brady than Browns fans did to Bernie Kosar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's say BB cuts Brady to make JG the starting QB. Brady then signs with the Jets.

When the Jets play the Patriots, who do you root for: Brady and the Jets, or JG and the Pats?

Brady would never play for the Jets. A better example and one I've seen posted before would be if Brady played for the Texans.

It would depend on the circumstances of how he left or was traded. Either way he isn't playing for the jets.

Brady would never play for the Jets. A better example and one I've seen posted before would be if Brady played for the Texans.

It would depend on the circumstances of how he left or was traded. Either way he isn't playing for the jets.

Maybe. But don't miss the point of the question. Would you root for the Patriots against Brady, or for Brady against the Patriots?

Maybe. But don't miss the point of the question. Would you root for the Patriots against Brady, or for Brady against the Patriots?

If it were the Jets. No. Not a chance. But I'm sure that scenario would never happen.

If it were the Texans? Possibly. If the Pats were in the playoff race and needed that game then no. If the Pats were out of the playoff race and the Texans needed that game then yes.

I've always been surprised at any job, blue collar or white, how quickly a guy is forgotten once he leaves. This is so even for coworkers much admired or loved. You're much more likely to hear,"What was that guy's name?" than you are,"Our lives are just not the same now that he's gone." This will inevitably apply to some degree even to TB12. It's just how it is, and it's not all bad. There is no in with the new if there's no out with the old.

I've always been surprised at any job, blue collar or white, how quickly a guy is forgotten once he leaves. This is so even for coworkers much admired or loved. You're much more likely to hear,"What was that guy's name?" than you are,"Our lives are just not the same now that he's gone." This will inevitably apply to some degree even to TB12. It's just how it is, and it's not all bad. There is no in with the new if there's no out with the old.

So Bob the printer repair guy is the equivalent of Brady the NFL's greatest QB of all time.

well, I'm rarely ever forgotten when I leave anywhere...in fact, as a rule, posters of my mug shots get tacked up on bulletin boards and post offices in the immediate vicinity with regularity.

The real essence here is that people are forgetting, dismissing, ignoring or hiding from who Tom Brady is and how irreplaceable he truly is.

Here are some facts.
In 15 seasons Brady has
25 post season wins 7 conf titles 5 SB titles.
Brady is far and away the most important piece of that success and it's arguable none of it could have happened with out him.
So if we are talking about 3 more years given the state of the team everyone can choose to decide what Brady is likely to produce.

So who do we want to expect JAG to be like? Let's make some comparisons.

Brady 15 yr. 25 po wins 7 cc 5 champ
Rodgers 9 9 1 1
Brees. 15 6 1 1
(Yes tom Brady has more conf champ wins than brees has total playoff wins.)
Roethlisberger 13 13 3 2
( next biggest winner who has won less than half as much.)
Ryan. 9 3 1 0
Yes Tom Brady win as many po games this season as Ryan has in his 9 year career. Are we expecting JAG to be better than Ryan?
Rivers. 11 4 0 0
Are we expecting JAG to be beyeer than rivers? Brady has more rings than rivers has playoff wins.

Eli. 13 8 2 2
SINCE Eli won his last SB when Brady was 33 Brady has won more playoff games and as many SBs as manning has won in his 13 year career.

Newton 6 3 1 0
Brady did win as many playof games and more SBs at age 39 than newton in his 6 year career.

Wilson. 5 8 2 1
With what many see as the best team in the NFL surrounding him in his first 5 years he is tracking behind Brady in every area, and his team is going on the wrong direction

Hell let's look at hall of famers.
Brady 15 25 7 5
Montana 13 16 4 4
Marino 16 8 1 0
(Edit just noticed Brady has won more playoff games, conf champs and SB champs than Joe Montana and Dan Marino COMBINED)

Sure JAG ought to be better than Marino. Marino won .5 playoff games per season. Brady 1.7

Elway. 16 14 5 2
Fouts. 15 3 0 0
Kelly. 11 9 4 0
Young. 14 8 1 1
Airman. 12 11 3 3
Bradshaw. 14 14 4 4

Others
Manning 17 14 3 2
Favre. 19 13 2 1

This is the issue. People simply do not recognize how much better Brady has been than anyone else and think dumping him early for anyone is reasonable.

Last edited by a moderator:
He had 232 yards and 3 touchdowns in less than a half of play. How, exactly were the Dolphins figuring him out? :)

The stats say he started hot - 9 of 10 and then went only 8 of 17 or something like that. I remember he started to really feel the pressure around that time. Could be a coincidence or a blip. Most likely the Dolphins figured out how to break his system and he couldn't adjust.

This is the issue. People simply do not recognize how much better Brady has been than anyone else and think dumping him early for anyone is reasonable.

This is the downside of Brady having been so good. He's been such a winner, no matter who's been around him, that too many people here think BB can plug and play even at the QB position.

They ignore the reality, which is that Brady is the system.

Personally I think a Brady vs Belichick matchup would be one of the most intriguing things we've seen in the NFL in a very long time and maybe ever. Hopefully we don't see it but if we do it will be a real treat.

This is the downside of Brady having been so good. He's been such a winner, no matter who's been around him, that too many people here think BB can plug and play even at the QB position.

They ignore the reality, which is that Brady is the system.
I don't know if many people think anyone can be plugged in with the same results, but clearly some do. I long ago concluded that the majority opinions expressed here don't necessarily jive with the opinions of the majority of Patriots fans outside of this board. But, anyone who thinks JG or anyone else can be seamlessly inserted into this offense with similar results as those we've seen with TB is insane, delusional or naive. Or all three.

The above certainly applies to the regular Joe who sits 3 cubicles down in accounting. It does not apply to the greatest QB of all time.

No New Englander of age today will ever say "What was that guy's name?" in reference to Tom Brady.

The real essence here is that people are forgetting, dismissing, ignoring or hiding from who Tom Brady is and how irreplaceable he truly is.

Here are some facts.
In 15 seasons Brady has
25 post season wins 7 conf titles 5 SB titles.
Brady is far and away the most important piece of that success and it's arguable none of it could have happened with out him.
So if we are talking about 3 more years given the state of the team everyone can choose to decide what Brady is likely to produce.

So who do we want to expect JAG to be like? Let's make some comparisons.

Brady 15 yr. 25 po wins 7 cc 5 champ
Rodgers 9 9 1 1
Brees. 15 6 1 1
(Yes tom Brady has more conf champ wins than brees has total playoff wins.)
Roethlisberger 13 13 3 2
( next biggest winner who has won less than half as much.)
Ryan. 9 3 1 0
Yes Tom Brady win as many po games this season as Ryan has in his 9 year career. Are we expecting JAG to be better than Ryan?
Rivers. 11 4 0 0
Are we expecting JAG to be beyeer than rivers? Brady has more rings than rivers has playoff wins.

Eli. 13 8 2 2
SINCE Eli won his last SB when Brady was 33 Brady has won more playoff games and as many SBs as manning has won in his 13 year career.

Newton 6 3 1 0
Brady did win as many playof games and more SBs at age 39 than newton in his 6 year career.

Wilson. 5 8 2 1
With what many see as the best team in the NFL surrounding him in his first 5 years he is tracking behind Brady in every area, and his team is going on the wrong direction

Hell let's look at hall of famers.
Brady 15 25 7 5
Montana 13 16 4 4
Marino 16 8 1 0
(Edit just noticed Brady has won more playoff games, conf champs and SB champs than Joe Montana and Dan Marino COMBINED)

Sure JAG ought to be better than Marino. Marino won .5 playoff games per season. Brady 1.7

Elway. 16 14 5 2
Fouts. 15 3 0 0
Kelly. 11 9 4 0
Young. 14 8 1 1
Airman. 12 11 3 3
Bradshaw. 14 14 4 4

Others
Manning 17 14 3 2
Favre. 19 13 2 1

Here is a simple question? how much longer can Tom play like Tom?

Brady isn't playing until he is 45, I would mildy surprised if he is playing at 43.
Most likely Brady calls it quits before or after the 2019 season.

ETC ETC ETC...

Tom Brady will be remembered until the NFL is gone in the wind. Especially in New England. 9 year olds will remember him when they are on there death beds. And his legend will live on forever surpassing Montana already.

Brady got to play in the age of HD.. and all that footage will always be there. Unless there is a Zombie apocalypse. When people bring Brady's name up they can show Hi Def footage of him and that will hold up over the test of time.

Well I would LOVE to se Brady play until he is 45. Even with BB we will see our chances of winning decline a lot.

But what I wish for frequently doesn't happen. The facts we have are these:

Brady's wife wants him to retire.

His Mom is fighting cancer.

His children are growing.

His agent is also JG's agent.

BB decided to NOT get max value for JG this offseason.

Schefter says the Patriots leadership ie BB and JMD love JG and are planning on extending him.

Don Yee understands both TB12's & JG's goals. He communicates with BB about BOTH players.

Collected together these facts that we could see Brady retire in the next year or two even if playing at the top of his game.

Hopefully Tom and the Pats are on the same page and this ends well. However Kosar might be the analogy to look at where no matter if it's after this year or 4 more fans will be pissed if he's traded to play elsewhere. We all wish he could play forever.

If he did walk away next year winning 3 of 4 to end his career the same way he started it that would be magical and yet we would all still want more.

My post wasn't snarky at all, it was a very direct point that since you acknowledged your thread title was inaccurate you should try to be more precise with them in the future.

And, of course Bill Belichick isn't "calling to throw him over" which would never happen on this planet. That doesn't mean he's not considering things which you apparently aren't.
Of course it was snarky.

I am considering all angles.

I don't know if many people think anyone can be plugged in with the same results, but clearly some do. I long ago concluded that the majority opinions expressed here don't necessarily jive with the opinions of the majority of Patriots fans outside of this board. But, anyone who thinks JG or anyone else can be seamlessly inserted into this offense with similar results as those we've seen with TB is insane, delusional or naive. Or all three.

I'll take it a small step further. It's at least theoretically possible that BB has gotten so adept at working the NFL systems that even a lesser QB will allow him to have great success (a/k/a the hoped for Montana to Young style handoff of the QB torch). However, there's simply no way we can know if that's the case, and NFL history tells us that the odds are against it, so those fans who are buying into some notion that it's a sure thing, or even a likely event, are just not using their heads for anything more than hat holders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes