PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 3-year transition Brady/Garoppollo theory - is there any merit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair points. I think the main assumption here is this would not be a wacky experiment to see how good Garoppollo is. The entire premise is based on the idea the Patriots FO know what they have and like it. They see him practice every day and have seen enough of his scrimmages, limited game action, preseason games, and overall skills to make a fairly good evaluation of how he will perform in a full-time starter role. See: Packers and Aaron Rodgers. You can definitely think we are speculating wrong, but no one is advocating that we anoint Garoppollo as the successor unless it's clear the team thinks he would be really good, and some recent moves and non-moves give that idea some legitimacy.

Ice, you may not be anointing Garrapolo as the successor but many I have responded to certainly are. And unlike most positions on the team the element of performance under duress and in the most critical and pressure packed situations comes heavily into play as QB for the Patriots. It isn't a factor if it's the Jets, Bills, Dolphins, Bengals, Browns, Jaguars....you get the idea, but it's a huge factor if you are going to QB the Patriots, and even Belichick, as brilliant as he is has absolutely no idea how Garrapolo will respond with the season on the line. Brady, on the other hand, is quite simply the greatest clutch player to ever play the game, and with the team they have assembled could very well end up winning them another 2-4 Lombardi trophies, depending upon how long he decides to play.

I disagree with a large number of fans here in assessing how much longer Brady can play like this. Looking at his game it is based almost exclusively upon reading defense's, which he continues to get better at, and his accuracy, which like the rest of his game appears to be improving. And as far as his body goes he has done something no other QB has ever thought to do, which is to train and treat his body, through nutrition, hydration, sleep, yoga, and other efforts to be able to play well into his forties. Where others see a guy who is going to "fall off a cliff" I see a guy who is fully prepared in every way to continue at the top of his game into his mid forties. Christ Brett Favre made it to forty plus on the John Daly Fitness plan of suitcases of Bud and Vicodin, so I certainly think Brady can go an extra five seasons having trained for a decade to do just that. None of the quarterbacks before him ever thought to train to play to 45 but Brady decided to do just that, so now we get to see if he can pull it off, and I for one am a big believer in everything he is doing. They have a great young team around him, the best coaching staff in football to support him, and as long as his receivers are getting open there is no reason to think he won't be able to hit them.

I get why people are high on Garrapolo, he's a hard worker, he's a good guy, and he played well when given the chance. The downside is that he only lasted 6 quarters when they needed him to play 16, and he may not be able to hold up physically to the pounding of the NFL. Additionally he has no tape on him so coordinators haven't been able to scheme against his strengths and weaknesses, and we all saw what happened to RGIII, Kaepernick, and Foles after defensive coordinators got a season of tape on them, great QB's have to be able to see those changes and adapt constantly to them, and that is an unknown with Garrapolo. Likewise we have never seen Garrapolo up against great teams or playing from behind and don't know how he would fare against them or in those circumstances. And the last point echoes what I said earlier, Jimmy G has never been in a pressure situation, such as having the season hanging on the next play, so we have no idea if he would deliver or crumble. On the other hand Tom Brady has been through all of these situations many many times and has passed with flying colors. So the bottom line for me is that it makes no sense to move on from greatness when you have a great team that can win multiple championships with their GOAT QB, just to see if the back up might be able to have some success. It's too bad Garrapolo can't stay long enough to answer some of these questions but it's very clear from his play and his conditioning that Brady isn't close to the end yet, despite the evermoving Kellerman Cliff.

I honestly believe that given this team Brady is going to win at least two more Lombardi's, just as he did after many Patriot fans called for his head in 2014. I think he can play at least four more seasons at his current level, and have honestly not seen anything from him that suggests otherwise, and I see the rush to conduct the Jimmy Garrapolo Experiment as Ill informed and foolhardy. To me getting rid of the greatest while he is still the greatest makes absolutely no sense at all.

Last edited:
Nobody is crapping on Brady. You're asking a level of commitment that the team never gives to anyone. no one hates Brady but you're SOOOOOOOOOO over the top about it that it's easy to want to try to bring you back to reality by posting something pragmatic

Bullsh.t. Saying Tom Brady has earned the right to be the starting QB for the first play next season is taking a big smelly Ron Borges sh.t all over him, as is your desire to replace him asap with Garrapolo. Go play with your binky somewhere else.

Nobody is crapping on Brady. You're asking a level of commitment that the team never gives to anyone. no one hates Brady but you're SOOOOOOOOOO over the top about it that it's easy to want to try to bring you back to reality by posting something pragmatic

Eat me, douchebag.

If JG is traded it will be right before or during the draft when the PAts have maximum leverage.

I don't really see why we have more leverage at the draft than we do now. care to explain?

Bullsh.t. Saying Tom Brady has earned the right to be the starting QB for the first play next season is taking a big smelly Ron Borges sh.t all over him, as is your desire to replace him asap with Garrapolo. Go play with your binky somewhere else.

You do realize that, as good as Brady is, he also plays for one of the best managed and coached organizations in sports. I'm not taking anything away from Brady. The idea that he and Belichick are both the GOAT can both be true. Anyway, one major reason for the Patriots success, and Brady's ability to capitalize from that success, is being one of the most cutthroat teams in the league in terms of getting rid of players without sentimental attachment. Just a thought, that he is not immune from the same philosophy that has helped provide him with a wining formula and championship level teammates.

You do realize that, as good as Brady is, he also plays for one of the best managed and coached organizations in sports. I'm not taking anything away from Brady. The idea that he and Belichick are both the GOAT can both be true. Anyway, one major reason for the Patriots success, and Brady's ability to capitalize from that success, is being one of the most cutthroat teams in the league in terms of getting rid of players without sentimental attachment. Just a thought, that he is not immune from the same philosophy that has helped provide him with a wining formula and championship level teammates.
You're exactly right. The idea that BB doesn't already know exactly what would cause him to replace Brady is a fanboy fantasy. Hell, he's probably already made sure Brady knows.

Belichick moves on when players are no longer the player they once were or they price themselves off the team, not while they still represent great value and are playing at a really high level. Their best chance for more Lombardi's is clearly with Brady and he won't move on from that situation as long as it lasts.

You're exactly right. The idea that BB doesn't already know exactly what would cause him to replace Brady is a fanboy fantasy. Hell, he's probably already made sure Brady knows.
And Brady has probably concurred as to what a decline in his play should look like. You Brady haters act like Brady wants to play when he sucks when everything he has said and done in his career is completely the opposite.

Maturely and circumspectly argued

The truth is that imo you don't actually read or address anything in your posts, you just keep repeating your poorly developed opinion, thus you really don't deserve a well thought out response. Ice Ice Brady provided a well thought out post to mine so I responded in kind. My tolerance for douchebag's is really low, and my tolerance for people crapping on Brady even lower. The guy has given more to his franchise and its fans than anyone else I can think of, and seeing those same fans turn on him a month after the greatest game we have seen is pretty repugnant imo. He deserves far better imo,

Belichick moves on when players are no longer the player they once were or they price themselves off the team, not while they still represent great value and are playing at a really high level. Their best chance for more Lombardi's is clearly with Brady and he won't move on from that situation as long as it lasts.

He also moved on from players when they reach typical ages of decline, with indicators that fans don't notice. Mankins, Welker, Moss, Seymour, Vrabel to name a few. All seemed productive and were out of the league soon after, maybe one good season post-Pats.

I'm not saying this is the deal with Brady. Just that players don't have to break down in an obvious on-field fashion before they are moved.

He also moved on from players when they reach typical ages of decline, with indicators that fans don't notice. Mankins, Welker, Moss, Seymour, Vrabel to name a few. All seemed productive and were out of the league soon after, maybe one good season post-Pats.

I'm not saying this is the deal with Brady. Just that players don't have to break down in an obvious on-field fashion before they are moved.

I actually think most of those guys (don't forget Milloy and this goes for him too) were moved for reasons beyond what they were doing on the field. If Brady starts making noise about say, getting paid, I have no doubt it will happen to him too.

I also think with QBs it's the arm strength that goes first. Brady's arm strength is excellent.

Vrabel, Moss, and Mankins had just crossed the line starting their decline, and Welker and Seymour both wanted big new deals they weren't going to get so I don't think they are analogous, Brady has actually been getting better and his value is off the charts, he's the best player in football and nowhere near the top in pay. He's also sacrificed like no one else in sports to give them the leeway to build around him, and he's a big reason they have been able to build the team they have right now.

I don't dismiss Belichick's willingness to move on from players I just think Brady's play makes that decision much much harder than anyone else. Even if Brady threw 10 interceptions next season I doubt there is anyone he or we would want at QB with the season on the line. You can't teach clutch it's in a players make up, and gambling that someone else will replace that is a huge bet to make:

I actually think most of those guys (don't forget Milloy and this goes for him too) were moved for reasons beyond what they were doing on the field. If Brady starts making noise about say, getting paid, I have no doubt it will happen to him too.

I also think with QBs it's the arm strength that goes first. Brady's arm strength is excellent,

I also think arm strength is highly overrated. The number of times Brady throws the ball as hard as he absolutely can is pretty small, almost all of his throws are gauged to hit the receiver in stride not to rifle it as hard as he can. Christ Manning got a Lombardi with an arm that couldn't make a girls junior high softball team.

And Brady has probably concurred as to what a decline in his play should look like. You Brady haters act like Brady wants to play when he sucks when everything he has said and done in his career is completely the opposite.

Winner

I also think arm strength is highly overrated. The number of times Brady throws the ball as hard as he absolutely can is pretty small, almost all of his throws are gauged to hit the receiver in stride not to rifle it as hard as he can. Christ Manning got a Lombardi with an arm that couldn't make a girls junior high softball team.

In this offense Brady has to throw it hard to hit the slants and intermediate seams. He can do that... I don't think Manning could at his end.

Once those darts get knocked down or picked more often then that will be a sign that Father Time has the upper hand...

If BB truly believes that Brady can play for 3 or more years then I think he should trade JG this year to maximize his value. If he thinks Brady will only play for 2 more years then he should stick with JG to take over in 2019 - assuming BB believes he is a franchise quarterback. It appears BB may hedge his bets and keep JG in 2017 to gain additional intel on Brady's future but I do not see any way he keeps JG beyond next season.

Agree with Ice Ice that finding another franchise QB is a risky proposition and if BB truly believes JG is that guy then it will be difficult to move him. Despite this I still think they should because the contract/playing situation just does not work out for JG.

How do you account for the experts?

Stephen smith said Brady is eighteen months from the cliff

Kellerman says he is already burnt

Shannon sharpe said he is washed up.

Can u explain this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back