PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CBS ranks coaches, no wonder NE is so successful

Status
Not open for further replies.
That certainly played into my reasoning. Mike Sherman would not have had the balls to play a 3rd string QB (Brady) over 2nd stringer Doug Pederson. And even if he did, Bledsoe would have had his job back as soon as he was healthy.

Couldn’t agree more. I think Brady demonstrated to Belichick in their earliest QB coaching meetings that he knew what decision Belichick would want in any situation, and they coupled that with an evolving offense that utilized their roster and match up strengths. The fact that Brady can run any kind of offense they want, at anytime they want, and deliver, is what really makes him the GOAT

They would just as well with Manning/Luck, Favre/Rodgers, or Brees?
No way they win 6 SBs and go to 9 with those guys.

Tom performed his best in clutch moments 90% of the time. Those guys have not

Neither Belichick nor Brady would be anywhere near where they are now without each other. Same deal with Walsh/Montana, Johnson/Aikman, Lombardi/Starr, or Noll/Bradshaw.

And Paul Brown/Otto Graham

And Paul Brown/Otto Graham
Only coaches to win championships w 2+ different QBs are Seifert, Ewbank,J Gibbs (3 QBs) and Tuna.

As good as his system was with Dandy Don and Danny White, Coach Landry need Staubach to get over the hump.

No reason for me to believe that Manning would have been nearly as successful in New England especially in the playoffs as he was a warm weather player and often came up small when the moment was biggest. He beats Tennessee in single digit temps? Scores 18 4th Qtr points against the Panthers? Scores 3 straight TD's against the Chiefs? Did he ever do that once in the playoffs? I don't think so. BB is great and I do not doubt he would have won championships with Manning, Favre, Rogers or Brees but there is no way he goes to 9 and wins 6 with any of them. Too many games came down to must have plays and drives and I have yet to see any of them succeed anywhere close to Brady.

Only coaches to win championships w 2+ different QBs are Seifert, Ewbank,J Gibbs (3 QBs) and Tuna.

As good as his system was with Dandy Don and Danny White, Coach Landry need Staubach to get over the hump.

As much as I despise the hypocritical old fraud, Dirty Don Shula not only won with 2 different QB's but did it with different teams

As a younger fan, I've always thought it was weird that Pete Carroll was the coach here before BB. Seems even weirder that he's good now.
Another ironic fact is that Coach Pete is older than Coach Bill.

I love this team...

The coach + QB combination are the result of impeccable timing for both of them.

As much as I despise the hypocritical old fraud, Dirty Don Shula not only won with 2 different QB's but did it with different teams

The distinctions between pre and post salary cap are really important concerning greatest teams/ franchises. There’s only been 1 Dynasty in the salary cap era.

Actually 2, maybe even 3, all NE,

The distinctions between pre and post salary cap are really important concerning greatest teams/ franchises. There’s only been 1 Dynasty in the salary cap era.

Agree 100% but can't see where that has bearing on my post, lol

Never won a SB w/ the Dolts.

...but is a great coach no question.

As much as I hate him, John Harbaugh is the clear #2. Dude has never had a great QB and still is in playoff contention every year, and the Ravens are a really tough out in the playoffs due to his game planning. Every other guy near the top of the list has a perennial pro bowl QB. Last year I would have put Reid there, but I’ve seen the Reid thing too many times now. His poor big game decisions/clock management are just part of his fabric, even though he’s a heck of a coach. Belichick, Harbaugh, Reid, in that order. No one else stands out to me.
harbar would be #1 if he reads the rule book

Never won a SB w/ the Dolts.

...but is a great coach no question.

Apologies for the old man memory moment, Shula left the Dolts in '69, they won in '70.
And yes a great coach but a miserable, cheating, hypocritical human being

What bb has done in the salary cap era and a 16 game schedule is beyond incredible.

Many teams have had great qb’s but none have been to 9 Super Bowls.

Even the great Walsh lead by the equally great Montana playing with the great wr rice, never went to 9 Super Bowls.

The closest are Lombardi, curly and Halas, but they did not have a salary cap or 16 game schedule.

Bottom line is bb is the best ever and yes a big part of it is Brady, but a bigger part of the equation is bb’s mastering of situational football.

Not sure that you can statistically compare BB to Lombardi, Lambeau and Halas as the game has changed significantly, in each era they were the best... should Bill Walsh be a consideration??

What is obvious is the at the end, BB is probably the best all time considering that the NFL is in the Post Salary Cap era.. not sure how any one of these other coaches mentioned would measure up with those rules..

Also what distinguishes BB is his 42 play off games with a record of 31 & 11, for a winning percentage of .738, no other coach even breaks the .700 plane..

What confuses me is that Sean McDermott is even on the list, in his two seasons he is 9 & 7 and 6 & 10, how does he even get consideration??.. unless they are using some very weird metrics.. until he actually wins something he should not be a consideration.

Not sure that you can statistically compare BB to Lombardi, Lambeau and Halas as the game has changed significantly, in each era they were the best... should Bill Walsh be a consideration??

What is obvious is the at the end, BB is probably the best all time considering that the NFL is in the Post Salary Cap era.. not sure how any one of these other coaches mentioned would measure up with those rules..

Also what distinguishes BB is his 42 play off games with a record of 31 & 11, for a winning percentage of .738, no other coach even breaks the .700 plane..

What confuses me is that Sean McDermott is even on the list, in his two seasons he is 9 & 7 and 6 & 10, how does he even get consideration??.. unless they are using some very weird metrics.. until he actually wins something he should not be a consideration.
Walsh didn't have a cap either and the game is obviously very different now compared to 1986.

BB is a living legend.

Walsh didn't have a cap either and the game is obviously very different now compared to 1986.

BB is a living legend.

Without cap Patriots would have won a couple more Super Bowls.

...and we can only speculate what 2 additional 1st rounders would have contributed.

Without the cap the Pats most likely would have done their winning in St Louis and Dallas would have bought another half dozen rings. Kraft is on record stating cost certainty was what made his purchase of the team viable. Being the smartest kid in the room when it comes to the cap is a big part of the reason the Pats have had this amazing run, without it they'd probably have fewer rings not more.

No way they win 6 SBs and go to 9 with those guys.

Tom performed his best in clutch moments 90% of the time. Those guys have not
What separates Brady from everyone, ever is what he does when it matters most.
If the Patriots had a different very good QB they would have won some SBs. Their regular season success would have been similar. But they would not have won AS MUCH because BRADY ELEVATES a very good, extremely well coached team by being the most vital piece with winning and losing heavily resting in his shoulders and coming through far more often than any one else ever has.

Belichick gets the team in position to take advantage of Brady’s greatness. Just good would have been enough sometimes but not always.
You can’t separate them because both are singularly great bit each other’s greatest is elevated by the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes