PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick's coaching tree

Hate to break this to everyone, but if McVay loses this weekend, that team will then dissolve. No draft picks, a bunch of huge contracts with people cut left and right, Stafford will be an old man before he ever sees this kind of talent again, and who knows how many years he has left at this point.

The Bengals OL is awful so it will be a miracle if they can stop Donald, Von Miller and company, but if somehow they lose?

McVay will never live it down.

I know gojng to 2 SBs is great for a young coach, but he was depantsed in the first one, and now maybe upset in the 2nd, as the team went for broke Daniel Snyder style.

Hate to break this to everyone, but if McVay loses this weekend, that team will then dissolve. No draft picks, a bunch of huge contracts with people cut left and right, Stafford will be an old man before he ever sees this kind of talent again, and who knows how many years he has left at this point.

The Bengals OL is awful so it will be a miracle if they can stop Donald, Von Miller and company, but if somehow they lose?

I know gojng to 2 SBs is great for a young coach, but he was depantsed in the first one, and now maybe upset in the 2nd, as the team went for broke Daniel Snyder style.
I bet the bengals fall off a bit too.

Lams ain't losing... Bengals' OL allowed NINE sacks to the Titties... Burrow gonna get killed if they can't get production from the run game.

Not necessarily. You have Chase and Burrow both on their rookie contracts, so they are in a sweet spot next few years.
I hear you and believe me I do. But I feel with more tape on their successful seasons, along with their oline and burrows eventual cap hits coming, they have a window with getting away like they have been. Time will tell though. Also cle, pit, and bal put them in a competitive-ish division.

My take: it’s not a good thing to have a strong coaching tree and BB knows it. Why would you want to create your next competitors who also pilfer your staff.

It’s well documented that BB gives people well defined roles and compartmentalizes the HC job so his assistants don’t get to learn the full secret sauce eg his draft process involved a very small number of people.

Of course he developed talented leaders along the way who were great at their jobs: Romeo, Weis, McDaniels. But they didn’t have the keys.

Also it’s really really hard to be a winning HC of the NFL :)

Read this article on Patricia and yikes.

“Imagine coming off three winning seasons in four years, the best four-year stretch in the modern history of your franchise, and doing so while playing for a coach you loved -- Jim Caldwell was absolutely adored by his players -- then hearing a first-time coach walk through the door and tell you to your face that you suck and have no idea what the bleep you’re doing.”

“He was viewed as having a smartest-guy-in-the-room complex who thought players would follow him because he had come from New England or whatever.”

“But this is exactly the problem with Matt Patricia. He inherited an All-Pro cornerback, then was forced to play two guys who are worse in his win-now season because he wanted to embarrass Slay over an Instagram post. You don’t usually get better by playing worse players, and that’s especially true when you already suck.”
See also McDaniels, Mangini (both times), etc.

Lams ain't losing... Bengals' OL allowed NINE sacks to the Titties... Burrow gonna get killed if they can't get production from the run game.

Lams almost d-i-d lose... But the Bengals offense became da Bungles are offensive during the final 20+ minutes thanks to their weird running game tactics; and when that sh!t didn't work the Lams re-adjusted their own tactics for their pass rush and Taylor didn't have an answer... The Young Genius & his still somewhat over-rated QB had less to do with that win than that for which the ignorami are giving them credit .

Maybe coaching trees don’t matter as much as we think?

Edit: I’m seeing they do matter.
There are no such things as coaching trees. People learn things in all fields from all kinds of sources.
Bill and Tuna were hired by Ray Perkins. Does that make them part of the Perkins coaching tree?
Actually, wasn't Bill first hired by Ted Marchibroda? Does Ted even have a tree?

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back