PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Book claims that Brady was furious with Kraft after Deflategate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the kind of decision that bottom-feeding NFL franchises make. Or old, sentimental men that should be gracefully retired from positions of authority. The team's excellence won't survive if it becomes the norm, regardless who the coach and QB are.

It becomes the norm eventually for every organization. The fans that worship at the feet of men like Belichick and Kraft are the reasons why it is allowed the happen. It's the reason why coaches like Shula were allowed to stick around well after their sell-by date even though it was clear that the game had passed them by, sinking the franchise into decades of mediocrity. I'm not saying that's the case with Belichick (he's still on top of his game right now, mind boggling Super Bowl decision aside), but it will eventually. I doubt it has to happen with Kraft because the subject matter of this thread turned many Pats fans against him.

True.

But then why didn't they trade JG earlier? And what is the succession plan?

Guarding against the possibility that the GOAT fell off between the 2016 and 2017 seasons. Once that was no longer a possibility and it became evident that they would not be able to keep them both, they traded him to a non-conference opponent and got draft capital back for him.

Guarding against the possibility that the GOAT fell off between the 2016 and 2017 seasons. Once that was no longer a possibility and it became evident that they would not be able to keep them both, they traded him to a non-conference opponent and got draft capital back for him.

That seems really unlikely to me. TB had just given the GOAT of GOAT performances in the Super Bowl. Even if he'd have gone back to being average, it wouldn't have meant it wasn't right to trade JG at the draft -- unless you thought he wasn't going to go on.

That seems really unlikely to me. TB had just given the GOAT of GOAT performances in the Super Bowl. Even if he'd have gone back to being average, it wouldn't have meant it wasn't right to trade JG at the draft -- unless you thought he wasn't going to go on.

He also had just turned 40. The possibility was still there. But he didn't fall off and the team was left with the choice of either letting Jimmy G walk for nothing, trading Brady (which would have been a disaster), or trading Jimmy G and getting what you can for him. They made the correct call.

He also had just turned 40. The possibility was still there. But he didn't fall off and the team was left with the choice of either letting Jimmy G walk for nothing, trading Brady (which would have been a disaster), or trading Jimmy G and getting what you can for him. They made the correct call.

If that's what happened (you don't know any more than I do) then you'd imagine that Tom would be saying "Yes, sir. No, sir. Please sir, can I have another?" to Belichick, instead of what passes in Tommy-world for being surly and uncooperative.

If that's what happened (you don't know any more than I do) then you'd imagine that Tom would be saying "Yes, sir. No, sir. Please sir, can I have another?" to Belichick, instead of what passes in Tommy-world for being surly and uncooperative.

Do I even have to bother with this or can you re-read this post and see how ridiculous it is?

Do I even have to bother with this or can you re-read this post and see how ridiculous it is?

There are signs that there is bad blood between Brady and Belichick. If Belichick had (as you say) just been waiting to check if Brady really was playing at the top of his game, and was prepared to swap (at least) a first-rounder for a second by waiting in trading Garoppolo to do that, do you think Brady would be upset? And, if that was Belichick's plan all along, do you think he'd be so keen on re-imposing his authority?

But, OK. If you just want to call my theory -- and it is just that -- "ridiculous" then there's not much discussion to be had, is there?

If you really want to follow the breadcrumbs and take the leap of faith that all of these stories are true (though they probably aren't), here is epic drama:

• Brady wanted McDaniels to stay, not just for his own offensive coach, but to replace Belichick in the near future, and Brady convinced Kraft to guarantee McDaniels the HC job. There is no way McDaniels spurns that Indy offer without some assurance he will be the top guy in NE eventually.
  • When Belichick leaves New England, he'll be on a flight to San Francisco within two hours to coach his next team, the SF 49ers and Jimmy Garopollo. He already is friends with John Lynch and gave him that sweetheart deal without even considering other offers.
  • If the 49ers (Garopollo-Belichick) and Patriots (Brady-McDaniels) met in the Super Bowl, it would likely be the greatest, most hyped game in the history of football, the world, the galaxy, and the potentially the post big-bang universe. It would rival Happy Gilmore and Shooter McGavin.
  • At the time this happens, the Jets will still be a crappy team fighting for mediocrity and preaching patience.
I...I kinda want that all to be true because it would be effin' EPIC.

There are signs that there is bad blood between Brady and Belichick. If Belichick had (as you say) just been waiting to check if Brady really was playing at the top of his game, and was prepared to swap (at least) a first-rounder for a second by waiting in trading Garoppolo to do that, do you think Brady would be upset? And, if that was Belichick's plan all along, do you think he'd be so keen on re-imposing his authority?

But, OK. If you just want to call my theory -- and it is just that -- "ridiculous" then there's not much discussion to be had, is there?

1. This was before the reported bad blood, which (according to reports) was more about Guerrero’s access getting restricted.

2. Brady and Belichick’s working relationship doesn’t seem to be any worse than any period of time in Pats history thus far in camp.

3. There’s not any real proof of Brady being insubordinate.

4. If it went down as you theorize, do you really think Belichick would still be here?

1. This was before the reported bad blood, which (according to reports) was more about Guerrero’s access getting restricted.

That was around the time of the JG trade. And it may be part of the chain of effects, not the first cause.

2. Brady and Belichick’s working relationship doesn’t seem to be any worse than any period of time in Pats history thus far in camp.

It looks like a working relationship -- the expressions of affection are reserved for Josh

No. And Brady is really not a surly, insubordinate type. But the fact that he muses publicly about retirement and misses OTAs isn't typical of him. The one thing you could rely on about Brady was that he'd always be raring to go.

4. If it went down as you theorize, do you really think Belichick would still be here?

That's a good point.

But, even getting overruled by Kraft (or Brady going back on his word) Belichick has still got more authority than any other coach in the league, has two kids on the payroll, and is being paid better than anyone (except Gruden?) I do wonder about the Giants job -- but, once they'd appointed a GM, that was out.

All good points.

But the fact remains that there is now no successor in sight. That's a sign to me that things aren't unfolding as planned.

All good points.

But the fact remains that there is now no successor in sight. That's a sign to me that things aren't unfolding as planned.

They were targeting QBs in the draft by all reports this year. It appears as if the one they had their sights set on went #1 overall, though. And we still don't know how good or bad Garoppolo is as of yet.

4. Yes, multiple years left on his contract at $12.5 a year and if he quit Kraft could prevent Belichick from taking another job for the length of the contract.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've met Bob Kraft several times and was a big fan. Ever since he turtled, failing to defend TFB in his submission to Herr Goodell, he's been Vichy Bob to me.
Relative to the alternatives Kraft has been a great owner. New stadium, no PSLs gouging fans, etc. But I no longer emotionally root for him nor do I pay any attention to what he says.
I believe that lots of what happened with JAG and McD was Bob's atoning to TFB. If BB walks after this year we'll know it was extreme owner interference and if BB stays it was likely well argued influence without HC extreme disagreement.
I love the alternate universe future history with BB-JAG vs McD-TFB @ SuperBowl.

What does this mean? I’ve seen people do this a few times after getting notified they quoted me.

I've met Bob Kraft several times and was a big fan. Ever since he turtled, failing to defend TFB in his submission to Herr Goodell, he's been Vichy Bob to me.
Relative to the alternatives Kraft has been a great owner. New stadium, no PSLs gouging fans, etc. But I no longer emotionally root for him nor do I pay any attention to what he says.
I believe that lots of what happened with JAG and McD was Bob's atoning to TFB. If BB walks after this year we'll know it was extreme owner interference and if BB stays it was likely well argued influence without HC extreme disagreement.
I love the alternate universe future history with BB-JAG vs McD-TFB @ SuperBowl.
What I can’t get is a clear answer of how trading JAG benefits Tom Brady? Was Brady that paranoid the Pats couldn’t wait to get him out the door and play JAG?

It just proves my earlier opinion that Brady calls the shots more than people on here think he does.

Long term, it’s a bad move by Kraft. JAG and Skippy would be tearing up the AFC for years after BB and Brady.

What I can’t get is a clear answer of how trading JAG benefits Tom Brady? Was Brady that paranoid the Pats couldn’t wait to get him out the door and play JAG?

Garoppolo was gone after 2017, if Brady is around for 2018, so the choice at that stage was between a 2018 2nd and a 2019 3rd. Rational to choose the former, especially when it sends him to the NFC and brings Brian Hoyer. Doesn't make the decision NOT to trade him at the 2017 draft less puzzling.

Like many of us Bob Kraft fell from my favor over his rolling over on Deflategate although I suspected at the time and still do that he had little choice but to do so.

However, His choice to stop Belichick’s Garappolo succession plan and let Brady “play as long as he wants” in the words of Jonathan Kraft was the RIGHT decision. You don’t discard a player as good as Brady who has meant so much to the franchise and sacrificed monetarily as much as he has for it.

Karma is a *****. The 49ers pushed out Montana for Young and won a 5th SB a few years later but have basically sucked for 20 years since. Even if we don’t have a QB as good as Garappolo when Brady retires, I’ll take my chances with an ownership family willing to do what’s right and not what’s convenient.

Long term, it’s a bad move by Kraft.

In what universe has that played out as even remotely true to this point? It's certainly not yet played out that way in the one in which we live.

What is interesting have not heard of anyone pimping this book anywhere, until this thread. Always wonder how folks from afar can write a 320 page book without personal interaction with the principals... who are the sources Borges, Felger or some other nitwit who plies their trade circulating rumor and innuendo??..

This book was released on Aug. 31 and already there are already used copies available on Amazon for a discount..

The Lombardi Book is due out on 11 September that will suffice for this season..

The book was just recently released and includes interviews with all of the principles most notably, NFLPA reps DeMaurice Smith and Heather McPhee. As for the quote about Kraft holding a press conference accepting the punishment and moving forward, he used BB’s scheduled time and took the media by surprise including his QB who watched it from his home. That quote is from Smith at NFLPA as he was on the phone with Brady during the live PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back