PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Book claims that Brady was furious with Kraft after Deflategate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
True.

But then why didn't they trade JG earlier? And what is the succession plan?
Not every team is fortunate to have a succession plan. Jimmy G was crap timing. He was drafted in one of Brady’s worst statistical years in a long time when a lot of people thought he was declining, he looked to pan out, then Brady had arguably his best 4 year stretch of football which included 2 Super Bowl wins, 3 appearances, and on pace to be MVP before Jimmy got traded.

The most prudent approach was always to delay the decision as long as possible. Jimmy having a small sample size and demanding a large contract was always going to be used against us in a trade. The insurance was better than any return we were getting.

In what universe has that played out as even remotely true to this point? It's certainly not yet played out that way in the one in which we live.
Going by the chances of staying relevant after Brady leaves. JAG would transition very easily and I believe the Pats would continue their dominance in the AFC.

Going by the chances of staying relevant after Brady leaves. JAG would transition very easily and I believe the Pats would continue their dominance in the AFC.

So, even though in the real world, where it wasn't possible to keep both Brady and JAG, and where Tom Brady was MVP, led his team to the SB and threw for over 500 yards in a losing effort, in the universe of TheRainMaker-is-making-things-up-in-his-mind-via-projecton-made-fact, things have already played out enough to make a judgment against the trade?

As Spock would say: fascinating.

And would JAG have led the team to the Super Bowl last season, had it been Brady who got traded?

So, even though in the real world, where it wasn't possible to keep both Brady and JAG, and where Tom Brady was MVP, led his team to the SB and threw for over 500 yards in a losing effort, in the universe of TheRainMaker-is-making-things-up-in-his-mind-via-projecton-made-fact, things have already played out enough to make a judgment against the trade?

As Spock would say: fascinating.

And would JAG have led the team to the Super Bowl last season, had it been Brady who got traded?
we don’t know why JAG was traded. So you can’t say it had to be done.

And to answer your last question, yes.

We know that there was no way we were keeping both. We kept the 5x Super Bowl winner who was on pace for an MVP season.

We know that there was no way we were keeping both. We kept the 5x Super Bowl winner who was on pace for an MVP season.
Why couldn’t they keep both.

The arguments are:

1. They couldn’t afford him
2. Brady wanted him traded.

Nobody knows the truth.

Belichick is the one who said it, albeit using different language.

"We probably had, in my opinion, the best quarterback situation in the league for the last -- let's call it two-and-a-half years -- it's just not sustainable given the way that things are set up," Belichick said. "It's definitely not something that we wanted to walk away from and I felt like we rode it out as long as we could. We over a period of time explored every option possible to try to sustain it, but just at this point felt like we had to make a decision. It's a very complex situation on multiple levels and this is really the last window that we had and we did what we felt was best for the team."

Bill Belichick: Pats' QB situation wasn't 'sustainable'

Ok, thanks for answering that. I now know you're not a serious poster on the subject of JAG, and we can end this here.

I have also suspected that, but I really think that Kraft is a pretty poor actor and is not that hard of a read. I think he was a schmuck at the time, later realized it, and is perhaps forever torn between 1) resentment for Goodell about fundamental unfairness and
2) gratitude for Goodell for helping his franchise gain and maintain a valuation in the billions of dollars.
Kraft endorsed Goodell's contract extension.

He'll let go of Roger just as soon as he dumps flying elvis.

Something I've been wondering about in terms of Kraft's thinking was one of his comments in "The Two Bills" 30 for 30. It was related to Parcells going to the Jets and Kraft's belief that league office was facilitating the deal. Kraft said something like "Even then, they (NFL headquarters) were trying to help the New York teams."

I've been wondering if he looked at the events over the last 20 years and came to that realization recently or if he believed that in 1997. If Kraft was suspicious of the league office heading into deflategate, then his belief that his team would be treated fairly in that situation looks even worse. From my biased view, even if Kraft hadn't connected the dots at that point, he had to be incredibly naive to think that Goodell was going to go easy on Brady.
Kraft does not connect dots. "I'm the boss." Roger Goodell is his guy. Flying elvis is his logo.

If he's upset over 2007 or 2015 he should look in the mirror. But he will not.

Wasn't Kraft also later furious with himself for having done that and having been so stupid to think that bowing down to RG would help his QB?

I'm no super duper Robert Kraft defender, but in hindsight everyone, including him, knows it was a screw-up, and everyone other than him knew it was a screw-up RIGHT THEN.
"I hope Patriots fans will forgive me..." No.

Refusing to accept some of the despicable decisions made by Billy Sullivan does not make any of us less Patriots fans, and neither does the same for Bob Kraft.

Wasn't Kraft also later furious with himself for having done that and having been so stupid to think that bowing down to RG would help his QB?

I'm no super duper Robert Kraft defender, but in hindsight everyone, including him, knows it was a screw-up, and everyone other than him knew it was a screw-up RIGHT THEN.

Kraft seems to have this thing where he tries to be everyone's buddy. That was obviously the wrong way to handle someone like Goodell.

While Kraft later claimed that his trust in Goodell was a regrettable mistake, it hard to reconcile that sentiment with Kraft endorsing him for a renewed contract as the NFL Führer/commissioner.

Like many of us Bob Kraft fell from my favor over his rolling over on Deflategate although I suspected at the time and still do that he had little choice but to do so.

However, His choice to stop Belichick’s Garappolo succession plan and let Brady “play as long as he wants” in the words of Jonathan Kraft was the RIGHT decision. You don’t discard a player as good as Brady who has meant so much to the franchise and sacrificed monetarily as much as he has for it.

Karma is a *****. The 49ers pushed out Montana for Young and won a 5th SB a few years later but have basically sucked for 20 years since. Even if we don’t have a QB as good as Garappolo when Brady retires, I’ll take my chances with an ownership family willing to do what’s right and not what’s convenient.

montana was beat up pretty bad when he left the 49ers, nothing like the shape Brady is in.

This thread once again makes the mistake of not realizing that Goodell’s job is to do what the owners want and if the owners didn’t want Deflategate to happen it wouldn’t have. Ya dig?

Who gives a crap what Brady thinks......STFU and throw the damned ball

This thread once again makes the mistake of not realizing that Goodell’s job is to do what the owners want and if the owners didn’t want Deflategate to happen it wouldn’t have. Ya dig?

Kraft is one of the owners.

Goodell's contract has a very substantial payout for early termination so he doesn't need to simply follow whatever edicts the majority of owners send to him without question. Goodell is a scumbag; Kraft is a supporter of a scumbag.

montana was beat up pretty bad when he left the 49ers, nothing like the shape Brady is in.
Yep, and more than that, to try to draw a a true parallel, Garapolo would have to be the one coming off being the league MVP while winning the job over an on the mend Brady.

Yep, and more than that, to try to draw a a true parallel, Garapolo would have to be the one coming off being the league MVP while winning the job over an on the mend Brady.
...But Tom's won five, so far

...Joe only had four

Let's give Jimmy the MVG

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes