PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What needs to change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
something done to address the communication issues in the secondary.
With 7/10 next games on the road, this may not be a quick fix.

Minus Brady, they are 0-4.

Thats what happens if you play without a QB.

Why because things should be all rosey, and full of lolipops? This team is flawed...big time. Minus Brady, they are 0-4. They lost two home games to frickin KC and Carolina. That's inexcusable when you have Atlanta, TB, Denver, Oakland in the next seven weeks. I can't believe I'm going to say this...Buffalo needs to be taken seriously. They aren't going away.

People like you never learn even though we have been through the same procedure almost every year since 2011. It doesnt matter if you start 4-0 or 2-2. It is about how you end the season. Would you rather be 11-1 like in 2015 with a dead offense or 2-2 right now with 12 more weeks of time to get a secondary who has a lot of talent on paper to gel ?

Finally, we are not playing the Bills until late this year. I dont care what they are doing until that game is closer. There is a lot that can happen until then.

Last edited:
With 7/10 next games on the road, this may not be a quick fix.

Somehow grind out a win in Tampa and then use the mini BYE to work on fundamentals. You gotta build from somewhere and experience has shown again and again that BB and Patricia are not pulling out the complex and exotic stuff until the defensive unit has the fundamentals down.

The linebackers need to stop being garbage. The line and secondary are both playing generally inoffensive football. Not necessarily great, and improvement is needed, but they're not why we're giving up 30 ppg. The offensively bad play is, more often than not, coming from the LBs.

The way this defense is playing...the Pats are an 8-8 team.......They are going to get crushed by teams with a good O and just a halfway decent D..... BB & the D coaches have a lot of work to do.......

Something about this D feels more hopeless than the one in 2011. ......

I could still see this unit being a solid mid-tier to top third tier D in December (on a week-to-week basis) based on the personnel, with proper coaching.

And the Broncos.

The bills defense has been playing well. It's aggressive. Right now all 31 defenses look better than our defense. It's still baffling to me why. Do we miss Logan Ryan this badly? Is Gilmore the weak spot? It's baffling to say the least.

The bills defense has been playing well. It's aggressive. Right now all 31 defenses look better than our defense. It's still baffling to me why. Do we miss Logan Ryan this badly? Is Gilmore the weak spot? It's baffling to say the least.

A lot about the world and life in general would be baffling to me if I were you.

A lot about the world and life in general would be baffling to me if I were you.

They stink! You obviously think they will turn this around. I think they will give up a ton of yards and more big plays

Just play better.
It is a long season. Every time we play treats that game as their personal Super Bowl.
Exactly, there's still a long way to go. Hopefully we can staighten out the defensive and O line problems.

Why because things should be all rosey, and full of lolipops? This team is flawed...big time. Minus Brady, they are 0-4. They lost two home games to frickin KC and Carolina. That's inexcusable when you have Atlanta, TB, Denver, Oakland in the next seven weeks. I can't believe I'm going to say this...Buffalo needs to be taken seriously. They aren't going away.

You keep acting as if KC isn't a top 5 team in the NFL...

Re-route Gilmore's game checks to Butler's account so we can get our All-pro playing like it again. Oh, and cut Gilmore. :confused:

:D

Seriously, the communication issue is so uncanny. Gaining Gilmore and losing Ryan are the two biggest differences, but it's hard to imagine that's the root cause of everything. The secondary is mostly the same as last season. They need to most rapid turnaround, followed by the middle of the D. F it, the WHOLE D needs to change.

It's bad all over the place. Gilmore's final penalty was major. Again I didn't see it so it might have been a BS call, but I strongly believe we win that game if he doesn't get flagged there.

I don't think Gilmore is "the weak spot". Generally he seems fine but he keeps having those bad moments here and there throughout the first four games. So it certainly doesn't look good. Defense all around is bad. The secondary was bad again but I can't help but feel much of the problem rests with the linebackers. Tons of short passes and QB runs turning into long gains or big plays.

Whatever BB envisioned doing with Gilmore should be revised immediately. I don't know if that is the reason for playing this 3 safety look at the expense o a linebacker or not, but against mobile QBs, it has failed miserably. BB's whole philosophy on defense is avoiding the big plays and I have seen more big plays in these four games than I saw over his entire time here.

Last edited:
It's bad all over the place. Gilmore's final penalty was major. Again I didn't see it so it might have been a BS call, but I strongly believe we win that game if he doesn't get flagged there.

I don't think Gilmore is "the weak spot". Generally he seems fine but he keeps having those bad moments here and there throughout the first four games. So it certainly doesn't look good. Defense all around is bad. The secondary was bad again but I can't help but feel much of the problem rests with the linebackers. Tons of short passes and QB runs turning into long gains or big plays.

It's a copycat league. I notice this team struggles mightily against speedy good running backs catching footballs .

Thats what happens if you play without a QB.

People like you never learn even though we have been through the same procedure almost every year since 2011. It doesnt matter how if you start 4-0 or 2-2. It is about how you end the season. Would you rather be 11-1 like in 2015 with a dead offense or 2-2 right now with 12 more weeks of time to get a secondary who has a lot of talent on paper to gel ?

Finally, we are not playing the Bills until late this year. I dont care what they are doing until that game is closer. There is a lot that can happen until then.

You keep acting as if KC isn't a top 5 team in the NFL...

Is Carolina or Houston a top five team? When's the last time they lost more than two home games in a season? 2002? It's shocking really.

Brady is still Brady. He's the saving grace.

What does BB do?

OT, but the offense took way too much time to score that TD. I was screaming at my tv for them to hurry up.

1) Blaming the best offense in the NFL just doesn't cut it.

2) Patricia and the other coaches can work with the front 7. Wise is looking really good. Guy is looking good. Hightower is back. They may need some time, but as in every other year, the front 7 will improve as the year continues. There are a lot of players new to the patriots. For example, Marsh is a good addition.

3) The open question is how to get some average play from a highly played secondary, given that all the players are coming back from last years, except one supposedly top player.

I would suggest doing what top leaders sometimes do. Belichick should get his hands dirty and personally spend a lot of time with the secondary. This is back to basics time. And yes, Belichick should review defensive game plans with Patricia. Whatever this 3 safety system is supposed to do, it doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents