PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread - Panthers @ Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turned on the Seattle/Colts game...

Seahawks CB Coleman whacks TY Hilton on the mask as the ball is floating in the air towards him. Where's the "hands to the face" flag for that?

Turned on the Seattle/Colts game...

Seahawks CB Coleman whacks TY Hilton on the mask as the ball is floating in the air towards him. Where's the "hands to the face" flag for that?

Gotta keep in mind who was the ref? Boger. Perfect opportunity for him. The NFL refs have been terrible for a couple of years now.

Cam Newton was a MVP before and he just got healthy.
To put it all into perspective Newton is healthy and this defense struggles with mobile quarterbacks who leave the pocket and ad lib as coverage breaks down.
It seems we don't like going after these QBs for fear of a broken play.
Well I have to say watching Newton pick us apart with receivers with nobody 10 yds in the vicinity is mind blowing.
Watching ED ****son smoke Devin Mccourty and watch missed tackles and a bend but don't break defense which broke time after time.
I said to myself we will fix this at halftime.
That never occurred we came out with the same tired defense and I have no idea what the defense was trying to accomplish.
Maybe we get BB more hands on in this defense or we take play calling duties away from Patricia.
It boggles the mind the secondary swapped Ryan for Gilmore.
Athletically a upgrade but the communication between the players hasn't improved which is insane.
The regression of Malcom Butler and Mccourty playing like a Jag nobody could of predicted.
Gilmore at least plays with fire and even if it's aggressive and undisciplined I'd rather see that than be flat.
We have little to no personality on defense.
When Marquis Flowers was out there he made a great stop.
Marsh has made solid plays.
Wise looks like a stud
Flowers has been good but doesn't seem as disruptive.
Did Butler play on the D line today?
I'd like to see Harmon as the starting coverage safety then put Chung in a linebacker role.
Why not?
Derek Rivers would make this defense look much different.
That being said we need a pass rush from somewhere a pass rush will fix the communication issues in the secondary.
The defense has regressed and we need to figure it out or if we make the playoffs we are one and done.

If these defensive woes continue...Patricia will not be getting head coaching opportunities next year

To put it all into perspective Newton is healthy and this defense struggles with mobile quarterbacks who leave the pocket and ad lib as coverage breaks down.
Well I have to say watching Newton pick us apart with receivers with nobody 10 yds in the vicinity is mind blowing.
Watching ED ****son smoke Devin Mccourty and watch missed tackles and a bend but don't break defense which broke time after time.
That never occurred we came out with the same tired defense and I have no idea what the defense was trying to accomplish.
Maybe we get BB more hands on in this defense or we take play calling duties away from Patricia.
Athletically a upgrade but the communication between the players hasn't improved which is insane.
The regression of Malcom Butler and Mccourty playing like a Jag nobody could of predicted.
Gilmore at least plays with fire and even if it's aggressive and undisciplined I'd rather see that than be flat.
Wise looks like a stud
I'd like to see Harmon as the starting coverage safety then put Chung in a linebacker role.
Why not?
That being said we need a pass rush from somewhere a pass rush will fix the communication issues in the secondary.
The defense has regressed and we need to figure it out or if we make the playoffs we are one and done.

Our defensive tackles stink right now..Malcolm Brown is invisible and Branch is aging

Our defensive tackles stink right now..Malcolm Brown is invisible and Branch is aging
Actually, I didn't think Brown looked as bad as people have been claiming, lately, but we'll have a better idea when others chime in on the review thread.

WHY DID WE NOT USE OUR TIMEOUTS

When? At the end? We'd have only given them more time to try and get in FG range. Clearly BB was hoping Panthers wouldn't have enough time to get into FG range.

Wise looks like a stud
Why not?

a9c.png

Our defense was atrocious but it didn't help getting ****ed by the officials on the extremely rare occasion they made a stop

When did they get ****ed by the officials? You mean when Gilmore actually clearly violated the rule and was caught?

When? At the end? We'd have only given them more time to try and get in FG range. Clearly BB was hoping Panthers wouldn't have enough time to get into FG range.
I think there was a point where they were pretty clearly in FG range, and continued to run the clock down on 2 more running plays up the gut.

We'd have to look at the specifics of that final minute or so in order to discuss it, but I think it was more about Belichick hoping that they missed the FG vs. hoping that they wouldn't have enough time to get into range.

@Tony2046 is in the process of reviewing. What's your take on the matter? Just curious, as I don't have a strong opinion one way or another, but I do remember pondering the timeout situation during the adrenaline fueled final minute or so.

Wise looks like a stud
Why not?

Exactly. Seriously was Logan Ryan the guy that broke the camel's back? I find that hard to believe. Gilmore said communication issues. This defense needs a kick in the groin! Enough of this crap.

WHY DID WE NOT USE OUR TIMEOUTS
I asked myself that and my answer was that BB had so little confidence in his offense that he didn't want to give Carolina another play or two because he was worried about them getting closer and/or scoring a TD.

Why do people keep bringing up 2014? The offense looked horrible in 2014 in the beginning, and there were talks that Tom Brady was done. This year though Brady is great, but it doesn't matter. That defense is truly awful. Even 2011 is better. 2014's defense was not that bad in the first 4 games of the season.

They made Trash Newton look like the MVP he was 2 years ago. This was a guy who was close to being BENCHED last week. Are you kidding me?

You could not have missed the point more thoroughly if you'd tried.

Yes, the problems are different this year, but problems are problems. These problems are correctible just like 2014's were. Just gotta hope we do somewhere near as good a job improving as we did last time.

I think there was a point where they were pretty clearly in FG range, and continued to run the clock down on 2 more running plays up the gut.

We'd have to look at the specifics of that final minute or so in order to discuss it, but I think it was more about Belichick hoping that they missed the FG vs. hoping that they wouldn't have enough time to get into range.

@Tony2046 is in the process of reviewing. What's your take on the matter? Just curious, as I don't have a strong opinion one way or another, but I do remember pondering the timeout situation during the adrenaline fueled final minute or so.

I'll watch for it. Thanks for the heads up.

Pass rush needs to be better. The patriots have a 5.5 percent adjusted sack rate (25th in the league) after four weeks. Rookie Wise leads the team with 9 QB hits yet he only played 38.7 % of defensive snaps vs panthers. Going forward, he clearly needs to be involved more. New England is giving up a league worst 31.7 points per game and ranks dead last in DVOA.

I'll watch for it. Thanks for the heads up.
I think Belichick may have liked the odds of missing a FG attempt from at least 45+ (ended up being 48) more than the idea of spending the timeouts and allowing them to convert and run the clock down.

That's my guess, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back