PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread - Panthers @ Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree about Butler. He was mediocre at best and got beat several times against a JAG and a gimpy receiver. Van Noy had a decent game but everyone else was pretty subpar.

Not to mention the play where Butler was completely burned by #17 (bit on a move and #17 blew right by him) for what would have been something like an 80yd TD but was bailed out by the pass rush forcing Newton to dump it off.

Pass rush needs to be better. The patriots have a 5.5 percent adjusted sack rate (25th in the league) after four weeks. Rookie Wise leads the team with 9 QB hits yet he only played 38.7 % of defensive snaps vs panthers. Going forward, he clearly needs to be involved more. New England is giving up a league worst 31.7 points per game and ranks dead last in DVOA.
Some of this is due to the particular scheme that they're using, or more appropriately, trying to use to contain scrambling QBs like Smith, Watson, and Newton.

Unfortunately, it's been ineffective because it tends to rely on a bend but don't break scheme, and when you're allowing big plays, game losing penalties, and wide open guys due to communication errors, it isn't going to work as well.

Not to mention the play where Butler was completely burned by #17 (bit on a move and #17 blew right by him) for what would have been an 80yd TD but was bailed out by the pass rush forcing Newton to dump it off.
Plus, what was up on the play he made the interception? He completely abandoned Funchess to go after whoever it was the pass was eventually thrown to. Funchess has no one within 30 yards of him. If Newton had been paying attention, it was a huge gain for them.

This will catch up to them. It almost did today when Brady needed help rising to his feet.

I am not convinced the OL is playing any worse. I think this has been the level of the OL for several years but the defects were masked by Brady getting rid of the ball so quickly.

Now that out of design and/or necessity they are going more bombs-away, with Brady having to hold it longer, the OL has been exposed for what it has been for several years.

So I'm not particularly hopeful it'll get much better. Brady better hope the TB12 Method is all it's cracked up to be.

Plus, what was up on the play he made the interception? He completely abandoned Funchess to go after whoever it was the pass was eventually thrown to. Funchess has no one within 30 yards of him. If Newton had been paying attention, it was a huge gain for them.
Butler hasn't been as bad as game one, but he's not been playing well at a consistent level, either.

Right now, Malcolm Butler looks like a serviceable CB2, which minus the electrifying kick returns, equates to EHIII with another inch or two.

And keep this thread bumped up. This season is over. Even if they make the playoffs they will lose. They're not winning the SB. The worst defense I've seen in years by the Pats. 2011 was better. This is embarrassing.

They're done.

This is not 2014.

No way in hell they beat Tampa either so 2-3.

crying-babies.jpg

icon_lol.gif
Classic!!

Turns out that there're 32 teams competing for 1 prize.

Turns out that there's a salary cap, which renders turnover of personnel constant.

Go change your diapers, Chicken Little ~ you're stinking up the place!!

crying-babies.jpg

icon_lol.gif
Classic!!

Turns out that there're 32 teams competing for 1 prize.

Turns out that there's a salary cap, which renders turnover of personnel constant.

Go change your diapers, Chicken Little ~ you're stinking up the place!!

That word chicken little should be banned. Can't stand it

Wish someone on offense would call out this defense.

icon_lol.gif
Yeah, that's the way to do it!! That'll straighten out those slackers!! The Defense is like "Yeah, I just didn't feel like playing hard...But then James White pissed and moaned to the media about us, and that really inspired me to play hard."
icon_lol.gif

I think Belichick may have liked the odds of missing a FG attempt from at least 45+ (ended up being 48) more than the idea of spending the timeouts and allowing them to convert and run the clock down.

That's my guess, anyway.

I'll post each play and my thoughts at the end.

Panthers 32 yard line/ 2:13 : 1st and 10 - Stewart runs for a first down. Panthers let the clock run to the two minute warning.
Panthers 47 yard line/ 2:00 : 1st and 10 - Incomplete pass to Funchess. Butler almost intercepted.
Panthers 47 yard line/ 1:53 : 2nd and 10: Newton runs up the middle for 7 yards
Patriots 46 yard line / 1:04 : 3rd and 3 : Funchess first down.
Patriots 41 yard line / 0:46 : 1st and 10 : Stewart run up the middle. Ridiculous Holding penalty on Chung. Automatic 1st down.
Patriots 34 yard line / 0:40 : 1st and 10 : Cam up the middle to the 31.
Patriots 31 yard line / 0:18: 2nd and 7 : Cam up the middle to the 31.
Patriots 30 yard line / 0:04 : 3rd and 7: Field Goal.

Where do you use the timeouts? My guess is that the stupid holding penalty called on Chung threw a wrench into whatever plans they may have had.

I guess you could argue that they could have used their timeouts during the last series to give TB some time but they, because of the fraudulent penalty, were already in field goal range.

So I'm not sure when would have been the best time to use them.

Patricia needs to get his guys on point or he is probably not looking to get a head coaching job next year. I’d like to see someone new to lead our defense.

I'll post each play and my thoughts at the end.

Panthers 32 yard line/ 2:13 : 1st and 10 - Stewart runs for a first down. Panthers let the clock run to the two minute warning.
Panthers 47 yard line/ 2:00 : 1st and 10 - Incomplete pass to Funchess. Butler almost intercepted.
Panthers 47 yard line/ 1:53 : 2nd and 10: Newton runs up the middle for 7 yards
Patriots 46 yard line / 1:04 : 3rd and 3 : Funchess first down.
Patriots 41 yard line / 0:46 : 1st and 10 : Stewart run up the middle. Ridiculous Holding penalty on Chung. Automatic 1st down.
Patriots 34 yard line / 0:40 : 1st and 10 : Cam up the middle to the 31.
Patriots 31 yard line / 0:18: 2nd and 7 : Cam up the middle to the 31.
Patriots 30 yard line / 0:04 : 3rd and 7: Field Goal.

Where do you use the timeouts? My guess is that the stupid holding penalty called on Chung threw a wrench into whatever plans they may have had.

I guess you could argue that they could have used their timeouts during the last series to give TB some time but they, because of the fraudulent penalty, were already in field goal range.

So I'm not sure when would have been the best time to use them.

They could've stopped the clock after the Newton runs, for sure. They probably could've gotten the ball back with about :25 secs. Like I said, I think BB may have feared the idea of CAR converting the third down and the game being over, but it may have provided a slim chance. After all, they ran the clock down, anyway.

For the record, I think that BB made the correct call and played the right percentages, but the thought about the timeouts did cross my mind, so I can appreciate why that poster brought it up.

With Ninko gone we don’t have disciplined guys on the D-Line containing or setting the edge, Shead did some good things but he wasn’t consistent, hopefully BB rips into Patricia and gets this D on the same page, we can’t just go for shootouts, can’t have Brady bail you out every week.

I am disappointed at our secondary and especially Gilmore.

If you give me the option I would keep Butler over Gilmore any day. He is the highest paid corner on this team and plays like utter trash.

I am averaging just about 2 likes per post. So I guess some people are reading them. Not exactly sure why you were trying to get at with that post.

I also find those type of negative emotional overreactions annoying. I also find it annoying when people discourage critical thinking in favor of group think. I found your "The best of the game thread" was doing a bit of that.

Recently, I have been mostly posting my analysis in the re-watch threads, as I feel that watching game film is central to diagnosing problems and appreciating successes. If you want to debate or disagree with me, find me over there.

You are correct that I have not always been that active in this forum. I have been a long time lurker however, and I am quite aware of the insightful analysis you generally provide. I was not trying to suggest you were unwilling to be negative. I was teasing your desire to criticize others when they are negative.

You two shouldnt bark at each other because you are some of the very sane ones. Leave that barking to others :)

@NE-VT might have been one of the best offseason acquisitions on this board especially his film breakdowns.

Wonder if a JC type trade needs to be made to shake things up. I don’t know if they actually need outside help like another player or just a good wake up kick in the ass.

Yeah lets just randomly trade players. That will fix missed assignments and miscommunications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back