PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread - Panthers @ Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I didn't think Brown looked as bad as people have been claiming, lately, but we'll have a better idea when others chime in on the review thread.

As if he would ever take a step into actual football conversation threads.

I think there was a point where they were pretty clearly in FG range, and continued to run the clock down on 2 more running plays up the gut.

We'd have to look at the specifics of that final minute or so in order to discuss it, but I think it was more about Belichick hoping that they missed the FG vs. hoping that they wouldn't have enough time to get into range.

@Tony2046 is in the process of reviewing. What's your take on the matter? Just curious, as I don't have a strong opinion one way or another, but I do remember pondering the timeout situation during the adrenaline fueled final minute or so.

I wonder what the overlap of people calling BB genius for not calling timeouts against Seattle is with the people who wonder about the timeouts this time.

My take ?

We were dancing around the edge of field goal range towards the end and a single penalty or sack would have potentially taken them out of range. If the Panthers were set up at a place where the FG distance would have been <40 with a minute left I would guess the timeouts would have been fired.

Also...

Last edited:
Not to mention the play where Butler was completely burned by #17 (bit on a move and #17 blew right by him) for what would have been something like an 80yd TD but was bailed out by the pass rush forcing Newton to dump it off.

Funchess is 17. He was playing hurt and everyone knew it. No one on defense is playing well.

The sad part is that the Patriots had 2 turnovers advantage and they still lost.

These OL takes are really off.

The sacks are a product of a deep passing offense. If the OL was the worst in history we’d be scoring 18 PPG like the beginning of 2014 not averaging 32.

Butler hasn't been as bad as game one, but he's not been playing well at a consistent level, either.

Right now, Malcolm Butler looks like a serviceable CB2, which minus the electrifying kick returns, equates to EHIII with another inch or two.
Agreed, but that didn't seem like a case of not playing well, it seemed like a case of WTF? It seemed inexplicable to me. There was nobody anywhere in the vicinity that he might have been handing Funchess off to. It was as though he thought the guy wasn't an eligible receiver.

As frustrating as the D played all day, the whole team started playing some great situational football in that 4th quarter. Very reminiscent of SB51. The D continued to do so after tying the game and had forced 3rd down. The situation called for "no free first downs by penalty" as rule #1. Wise Jr. makes the sack and it's punt time. Then Gilmore with the stupid hands to the face. Jesus.

We can ***** and moan about everything else thst went wrong, but the Pats had finally gotten their **** together and had that game. One brainfart later and it all unwound.

The Pats have enough they need to work on. Giving up free first downs on rare 3rd down stops shouldn't be on that list.

Regards,
Chris

…and the only power he had to force Gano into as long a FG as possible, was the decision not to use any of his TOs. Using them would have given Carolina more time to run more plays, the result of which would've almost certainly been a chip-shot FG, if not an outright TD. Bill knew it, I knew it, we all knew it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call