PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 7 TNF Raiders-Chiefs

The Queefs defense looks like they’re falling apart like they did last season. From my amateur perspective, and based on what I can see while watching the game, I think it starts with their inability to stop the run. They’re having to dedicate another man in the box from what I’ve seen which is leaving their corners in quite a bit of man to man situations. Couple that with Berry’s loss and Peters’ regression and you get what you saw last night: a defense that gave up over 500 yards of total offense and 31 points.

They’ll get it fixed enough to make the postseason still, but they’ll be ripe for the picking once they get there. People love to bag on Alex Smith, but he’s been a big reason why they’re even 5-2 at this point.
As I said last night, if this was Rodgers doing this the media would be going crazy 24/7. Smith has been phenomenal. Although I have my doubts he can keep this up but, it's been a new Alex Smith this season

As I said last night, if this was Rodgers doing this the media would be going crazy 24/7. Smith has been phenomenal. Although I have my doubts he can keep this up but, it's been a new Alex Smith this season

With the speed that they have on the perimeter, it had to be a new Alex Smith. If he was still Captain Checkdown this season, something would have been seriously wrong there. He has the options to uncork deep balls and has been taking advantage of it. Good for him. Oh, and lmaoooooo at San Fran. They let this guy over Kaepernick. Solid choice.

With the speed that they have on the perimeter, it had to be a new Alex Smith. If he was still Captain Checkdown this season, something would have been seriously wrong there. He has the options to uncork deep balls and has been taking advantage of it. Good for him. Oh, and lmaoooooo at San Fran. They let this guy over Kaepernick. Solid choice.

I mean, Smith was awful in San Francisco. He got benched for David Carr. He got benched for Troy Smith. The fans hated him.

Kaepernick came in and promptly got them within one play of a ring, then the talent dried up and the league figured him out.

He's having a hell of a year this season but he's still Alex Smith, and 33 year old quarterbacks don't often learn new tricks. Let's not go crazy, he'll be back to a pumpkin by Week 17.

I mean, Smith was awful in San Francisco. He got benched for David Carr. He got benched for Troy Smith. The fans hated him.

Kaepernick came in and promptly got them within one play of a ring, then the talent dried up and the league figured him out.

He's having a hell of a year this season but he's still Alex Smith, and 33 year old quarterbacks don't often learn new tricks. Let's not go crazy, he'll be back to a pumpkin by Week 17.

I think you not giving him enough credit. I think the chiefs drafting a QB lit a fire under this guy. He hardly turns the ball over. Chiefs should have won last night but that defense was putrid.

Smith in 2011 got them one horrible fumble away from a Super Bowl appearance. He was nothing special, but he was far better passer than Kaepernick ever was. In his first few years in the league, he was bad. But by then he had improved leaps and bounds.

I jumped around and only watched part of the game, but did catch the last 30 min. The most entertaining part for me is listening to Romo.

Shaun King and Mike Florio probably think Chiefs win that game with Kapernick lol. In fairness though, Kaep nearly won that SB if the refs make the right call (granted a missed call got them past Atlanta in the first place).

The most entertaining part for me is listening to Romo.

It's like he is a dude that is just watching a sport he loves but also happened to play in it. Unlike a lot of other old-ass former players who think they know everything thing. F**K you dan fouts

CBS was 100% correct in ditching Simms for Romo.

Rule question; how come they kept playing after the clock went to zero because of penalties, while the Ravens were able to use holding penalties to run off the clock in that Bangles game from a year or two ago?

Link to the Ravens penalty:

I think you not giving him enough credit. I think the chiefs drafting a QB lit a fire under this guy. He hardly turns the ball over. Chiefs should have won last night but that defense was putrid.
Just like it lit a fire under him in 2011 when the 49ers drafted Kaepernick. Alex Smith had far and away his best season in San Francisco that year. Easy to forget about that year.

Honestly, my only question before the game was Carr’s ability to drive the ball down the field given his back injury. If I had known he was going to be able to push the ball downfield like that, this game would have been easy to call. KC is in trouble as currently constructed. They gave to rely on their corners to hold up in man to man to stop the run. Anytime you have to scheme like that to hide a weakness, you’re in trouble. The result is they’ll probably rely on a lot more zone going forward, but the end result will be the same: A defense that is a major liability. They need Peters to regain whatever ability he had in 2015 and 2016 and they need someone to comfortably replace Berry for this season if they’re going to continue having trouble stopping the run.

That is a far more thoughtful response than my smartass comment deserved.
Thanks!

Alex Smith has 15 TDs & 0 INTs. Despite that, the Chiefs are 5-2 with every game being close in the 4th quarter.

If he comes down to Earth from one of the greatest QBing seasons in NFL history the Chiefs could end up around 10-6.

Alex Smith has 15 TDs & 0 INTs. Despite that, the Chiefs are 5-2 with every game being close in the 4th quarter.

If he comes down to Earth from one of the greatest QBing seasons in NFL history the Chiefs could end up around 10-6.

Two meetings with Denver, another with Oakland (in KC), Dallas, Buffalo, Miami... yeah I could see them going 10-6 if he regresses a bit since all of those teams are at least capable of exploiting them on the ground. Even if he doesn't regress, they can't stop the run. Dominate T.O.P. and keep them off the field on offense should be the order of the day for any team that plays them.

EDIT: By the way, I went into this reply looking to disagree with you.

Rule question; how come they kept playing after the clock went to zero because of penalties, while the Ravens were able to use holding penalties to run off the clock in that Bangles game from a year or two ago?

Link to the Ravens penalty:

the game cannot end on an accepted defensive penalty.

this prevents the defense from say tackling all of the receivers on a hail mary pass at the end of a game.

It also brings in funny situations where a team kicks off at the end of a half, and maybe squibs it, but the kicking team is offsides, the recieving team can accept the penalty, and then have one untimed down before the half ends to attempt a long field goal or something.

They really should do something about the spot fouls. Giving teams 40-50 cheap yards is absurd...

If the above is true, what does it say about a guy that he gives a team a half-assed effort for 4 years and only has "a fire lit under him" when that team drafts a QB?

I can't explain this resurgence but he is playing so well this year that it makes me wonder what the heck the problem was the past several years....

Oh man, I couldn't stay awake for the end of this one and I'm kicking myself. It certainly turned out to be an entertaining one.......

Here's my take on the flags at the end........

The OPI was called because it looked worse than it was (with the defender slipping).

I feel like the ref felt obligated to call it even though he didn't want to.........so what's the solution.............Throw the flag and give a makeup call on the next play if it was a failed attempt. In this case they gave them two make up calls.

What the hell are you guys watching?

It was clearly good. No one on the broadcast even mentioned anything about it being close.

See for yourself

Borderline miss

See for yourself

Borderline miss

I've seen for myself from both this angle and the kicker's angle.

Once he kicks it through the uprights, it's good. What you're seeing is 5 yards after the ball has made it through the uprights. Even then, it would still be good.

Chiefs should have won last nigh

Huh? Oakland was a handful of stupid unforced errors from running away with that game. Even having a chance at the end was the best possible result for KC given how much they were outplayed.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back