The majority of fans were likely surprised to learn of defensive lineman Ty Warren’s release on Friday afternoon, ending what was supposed to be a comeback season after he spent last year on injured reserve with a hip injury.
Following his release Ty Warren told the Boston Herald the team is moving in a different direction defensively. (FILE:Icon/SMI)
Warren had preexisting bone spurs in his hip last August which caused a tear in his labrum, and the pain was ultimately too much to deal with and he was forced to make the decision to have surgery. As a result he ended up on injured reserve, and at the time it left the Patriots in a tough spot in terms of depth at that position.
He told the Globe at the time that it was “a business decision”.
“It was more of a business decision,’’ Warren said last year, moments after New England placed him on IR. “I hate not to be out there with the team, but I’m not going to be laboring around for the entire year.’’
The veteran defensive lineman, who according to the Star-Telegram failed his conditioning test, was among several names who reportedly were let go but could potentially return. However, it sounds like the team is in the process of undergoing a change defensively, and according to Warren that’s exactly what he was told when he was informed of his release.
“I appreciate the Pats through the years,” Warren told Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald via text on Friday. “They’re doing some things defensively and choose to go in a different direction. I thank the Krafts for the opportunity and drafting me in 2003. It was a pleasure. I will be moving on to bigger and better things. We are sorting out and will look forward to wearing a contending NFL team jersey this fall.”
The former Texas A&M standout was drafted in the first round back in 2003, and finally completed his college degree before the start of last season. That move cost him $250,000, but ended up being a good decision after he was forced to sit out the season anyway.
He had told ESPNBoston.com back in May that he was looking forward to coming back strong this season. Unfortunately now it looks like it won’t be in New England.
“I know there are a lot of guys that went out last year with season-ending things, like every year, but I feel good enough where I could contend, even though I’m not that high profile of a guy, for a comeback player of the year [award],” he told Mike Reiss at the time.
“I think I can have that type of season. When I’m healthy, I feel like there’s nobody better than me at ‘5’ technique [left defensive end]. I feel that good, and to return back to that form, that’s where I feel right now.”
The Star Telegram reports that Warren has already expressed interest in joining the Dallas Cowboys.