PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Washington @ NE Rewatch thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Izzo played 64% of the offensive snaps. Looked good blocking and surprisingly good catching.

Izzo did look good. He doesn't have much separation ability, but he can catch and block

Colt McCoy>Brian Hoyer. Stay healthy, Mr Brady: Brian Hoyer is no Matt Cassell!

Jeremy Hill>Mike Gilislee It's a disappointment, considering how happy I was when the Pats originally signed MG.

Cordarelle Patterson can catch the ball.

That's all I've got.

Cassell was terrible in preseason. Nobody thought he would even make the team.

Mike Gillislee is simply boring running the football. He doesn’t do anything explosive at all.

Jeremy Hill meanwhile made a strong case for a spot last night.

@maineman209 Could you re-post the snapcounts you found now that the gameday thread is locked? I would love to look further into the numbers.

Oh, and someone quoted a Twitter reporter crediting Webb as one of the 5 most athletic backs in this draft. I don't think that's accurate. His testing numbers were all very solid, but not spectacular. I think anything above 8.5 is considered elite, so he's borderline.

upload_2018-8-10_10-37-59.png

Per RAS (relative athletic score), here is the top 20 most athletic this year. Barkley in a class of his own, and then Webb is just outside of the top 10.

upload_2018-8-10_10-42-49.png

Since a merge didnt happen I will just shamelessly repost my quick observations from the GDT post into where they actually belong:

Good:

Hill looked like a complete RB who can most importantly block, then catch but also get stuff done running between the tackles. If he can do this consistently Gillislee is "in trouble".
Shelton looked immovable at times. Exactly what I was hoping for. Cant wait to see him when the defense is actually actively trying and not just mix and matching vanilla stuff.
Webb but will still end up on the practice squad at best.
Rivers had some encouraging snaps and the penalty on him was ********.
Bentley looked better than expected.

Bad:

Richards: ****. What is there to say at this point ?
Tackling: There were no joint practices and this is the first preseason game so this is really the first time this year where players really hit each other so I will give them the benefit of the doubt until the second game but the intensity needs to go way up.
LBs in space: It is early but it looks like this will be an issue this year unless there is a roster move to be made. This is what a glaring need really looks like.

More important than what actually happened in this game, is how guys respond and take coaching to improve for the next one. That's going to go a long way in the eyes of the coaches. A few thoughts on that front:

- Great teaching moment for Ryan Lewis to play to the whistle, and not let his excitement prevent him from making a (potentially) crucial block.

- Lot of sloppiness from the offense in general, but especially the wide receivers IMO. Not a lot of clean catches from them, and what seemed a lack of concentration. Hoyer didn't do them any favors on a lot of throws, but still, I want to see Hogan and Dorsett especially tighten things up.

- Gilmore looked a step slow. Hopefully just some rust, want to see him start this season the way he ended last.

Webb reminds me (a little) of MJD.

A stepping stone to being 1-0 during the real season. :)

Please post any thoughts/ observations from the pre seaon opener. Some good performances by Webb, Hill, Bentley and Lucien.
Bad game by Richards.

Let's discuss.

major part of post game thoughts are in the GDT since no PGT was opened after the game
(not really needed in this case imho)

@luuked (masochistically) just opened re-watch thread for in-depth look a day after

and now mod opens PGT cutting PG discussion in half and not helping the re-watch either..

I wonder how they can find a spot on the roster for Web.

White
Michel
Hill
Bolden
Burkhead
Devlin

Regardless of how anyone performed, it's great to have football back especially the Pats. I am enjoying the Red Sox this season either reading about them or watching when they are on TV in NY area.

Rivers got robbed on this call. Good explosion out of his stance. Look at his punch jar the OT, and then he comes inside hard to make the tackle. That shouldn't have been roughing the passer. Encouraging rep, nonetheless.

As a bonus, Bentley got to the sidelines in a hurry to prevent the 1st down yardage on that dump off. He really looked good out there (reminded me a bit of the old 51 in fact).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case