PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thursday Night Football: Green Bay at Detroit

Status
Not open for further replies.
We weren't fifteen feet away from the play, either.

True we weren't.

Having said that, the closer you are, the faster it is. Could you imaging the **** storm that would have happened if it WAS a more blatant facemask and it went uncalled?

This call will happen 99.99% of the time. People complaining about it, need to chill out.

This is why everything should be reviewable. I don't blame the refs for making the wrong call. At full speed, at first glance, it sure looked like a face mask to me.

It's easy to criticize the call after seeing it in slo-mo HD from 3 different angles. And I'm in the camp that thinks it is the wrong call, hence the reasoning behind making everything reviewable.

The problem with making everything reviewable is that subjective/fluid calls (facemask, PI, etc...) can't fairly be reviewed. Some measure of accommodation would need to be worked out for such calls before the 'challenge everything' idea could he fairly imposed. It might require having the person who made the original call reviewing it personally, or the group of officials having agreed upon one 'impartial' arbiter from the crew, or something along those lines, but that issue would need to be addressed.

And I say that as someone who's in favor of both coaches being able to challenge everything, and the 3 challenge restriction being eliminated.

i'm going to give cheffers a pass on that one. it was the wrong call but he made a mistake.
Thing is, they seemed to be bailing Rodgers out with 3 and 10 PI calls all night long.

In other words, "get it wrong almost every time"...

As NFL VP of Officiating, you'd hope he'd try to do something about that, no?

I just learned that Dean Blandino has actually never officiated a game on any level in his life. Seems about par for the course that the NFL would chose him to head up the officials.

Rodgers was so open lol. That's richard rodgers. Lions deserve to lose

I think what happen during the final play is two corners stayed at the 30 yard line (or so) to spy on Aaron Rodgers in case he takes off.But whichever way you look at it, that was a dumb defensive move. On the final play of the game you have two corners just standing around doing nothing. If your not gonna sprint to the end zone to defend the pass, at least blitz the quarterback.

The problem with making everything reviewable is that subjective/fluid calls (facemask, PI, etc...) can't fairly be reviewed.
Whuh huh?

I understand that these are judgment calls, but I don't see how it is even remotely conceivable to suggest that referees are more accurate seeing something once at full speed versus seeing it several times from multiple angles in HD slo-mo.

they should've kept the 5 and 15yd facemask penalty rule. rodgers def flopped on that one.

I think what happen during the final play is two corners stayed at the 30 yard line (or so) to spy on Aaron Rodgers in case he takes off.But whichever way you look at it, that was a dumb defensive move. On the final play of the game you have two corners just standing around doing nothing. If your not gonna sprint to the end zone to defend the pass, at least blitz the quarterback.

They obviously were trying to prevent anyone from going out of bounds so the game clock would run out. o_O

So did the penalty give the Packers 6 points or was it the touchdown?

What touchdown? There would be none if the penalty was called correctly.

Whuh huh?

I understand that these are judgment calls, but I don't see how it is even remotely conceivable to suggest that referees are more accurate seeing something once at full speed versus seeing it several times from multiple angles in HD slo-mo.

You either misread, or misunderstood, what I wrote. My post in no way said, or implied, "that referees are more accurate seeing something once at full speed versus seeing it several times from multiple angles in HD slo-mo."

You either misread, or misunderstood, what I wrote. My post in no way said, or implied, "that referees are more accurate seeing something once at full speed versus seeing it several times from multiple angles in HD slo-mo."
What you said is (direct quote here) "The problem with making everything reviewable is that subjective/fluid calls (facemask, PI, etc...) can't fairly be reviewed."

I don't see how it is even remotely conceivable to say that a judgment call cannot fairly be reviewed. When you review something, you can see it multiple times from multiple angles, as opposed to seeing it once at game speed.

It would be perfectly fair to institute replay for anything and everything, and the reviews would be perfectly fair.

What touchdown? There would be none if the penalty was called correctly.
Stop being obtuse. The penalty doesn't mean a damn thing in the grand scheme of things. Even with the penalty that Hail Mary was the longest completed Hail Mary in NFL history. When a team gives up the longest Hail Mary in NFL history you don't blame the refs. You blame the god awful defense on that play.

Can you comprehend this, yes or no?

What you said is (direct quote here) "The problem with making everything reviewable is that subjective/fluid calls (facemask, PI, etc...) can't fairly be reviewed."

I don't see how it is even remotely conceivable to say that a judgment call cannot fairly be reviewed. When you review something, you can see it multiple times from multiple angles, as opposed to seeing it once at game speed.

It would be perfectly fair to institute replay for anything and everything, and the reviews would be perfectly fair.

P.I., for example, is a subjective call. There's not one 'right' level of contact. So, what one official considers enough contact, another might not, which is why my post included the following:

It might require having the person who made the original call reviewing it personally, or the group of officials having agreed upon one 'impartial' arbiter from the crew, or something along those lines, but that issue would need to be addressed.

I hope that helps.

Stop being obtuse. The penalty doesn't mean a damn thing in the grand scheme of things. Even with the penalty that Hail Mary was the longest completed Hail Mary in NFL history. When a team gives up the longest Hail Mary in NFL history you don't blame the refs. You blame the god awful defense on that play.

Can you comprehend this, yes or no?

This isn't a yes/no issue. Both are true at the same time. The Lions got jobbed on the bad call, and they did poorly on the last play as coaches and players. It isn't either/or. Both are contributing factors in their loss. There's no value in trying to use one to conceal the other, other than to construct an argument that doesn't need to exist.

Having seen the vines of Calvin Johnson's reaction, I keep wondering why be wasn't back in the end zone. If I were to develop a hail Mary defense using anyone in the league, I would probably include Calvin Johnson. If he's actually on your team, it seems a no brainer to get him back there.

This isn't a yes/no issue. Both are true at the same time. The Lions got jobbed on the bad call, and they did poorly on the last play as coaches and players. It isn't either/or. Both are contributing factors in their loss. There's no value in trying to use one to conceal the other, other than to construct an argument that doesn't need to exist.

No the Lions did not get jobbed. For a team to get jobbed there has to be an implication of some sort of conspiracy. There was no ill intent on the penalty, it's obvious the ref really believed he saw a face mask penalty. It happens. Let's also not forget the fact that the penalty barely helped Packers. And when I say barely, I mean even after the penalty the Packers still had to complete the longest Hail Mary in the history of the NFL. The probability of them completing that is so astronomically low it's not even funny.

Again, the penalty is irrelevant. If the Lions actually played any sort of semblance of defense on that play than we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Having seen the vines of Calvin Johnson's reaction, I keep wondering why be wasn't back in the end zone. If I were to develop a hail Mary defense using anyone in the league, I would probably include Calvin Johnson. If he's actually on your team, it seems a no brainer to get him back there.
Also, why didn't they have Ziggy Ansah rushing the passer? And why were the Lions guarding the sidelines?

Why?

Because Caldwell's an incompetent buffoon.

The sooner that ownership realizes that unequivocal fact, the better for the franchise.

P.I., for example, is a subjective call. There's not one 'right' level of contact. So, what one official considers enough contact, another might not,
That same logic also applies to calls which are (supposedly) totally objective.

The rule defining what is a catch is entirely objective, but you will still see disagreement - even among professionals - all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back