PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Superbowl Rewatch thread: the great defensive duel

Status
Not open for further replies.

PP2

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Welcome to the analysis only thread. No hot takes allowed in here. Plenty of other threads for that.

Please be civil. Feel free to critique the play or disagree, but please don't become personal or start attacking each other.

Also, this thread is not some sort of "exclusive club." Everyone is welcomed to participate, to post an analytical tweet that's relevant, or to post original analysis, or a clip from the game.

Above all, if you don't understand something, whether it be terminology or concept, etc. Please ask!

This should be a good one. So much to digest from this game.

I think Sean McVay is going to be a great coach. He had the humility to tell everyone that he got outcoached last night and he didn't blame anyone but himself. That's the kind of coach a player would run through the wall for.

I think Sean McVay is going to be a great coach. He had the humility to tell everyone that he got outcoached last night and he didn't blame anyone but himself. That's the kind of coach a player would run through the wall for.
I agree. But last night, who were the heroes ? Not the "up and coming", but rather the OOOOLD grizzled vets : Wade & Bill.

He has the right character and level of accountability. The question is if he can evolve the same way BB (or other greats) have done over the years. You can't beat a BB team by just "doing what we do". Wade knew that and constructed a pretty good gameplan on defense that kept Brady on his toes. McVay on the other hand seemed to be shellshocked at times that his bread and butter (11 personnel) was so ineffective.

Next to the INT (which was a great playcall and perfect execution) and the other broken up pass by Gilmore/Harmon to Cooks this stands out to me as the defensive play of the game.

Pure effort, heart and being in a position to succeed because you recognized the play from before.

Great stuff.
I'm equally interested in what the Rams did that bottled up the Pats so well. Seemed like they took away White and the dump downs more effectively than anyone every has, and everything downfield and to the sidelines was well covered.

Time of Possession is telling..

1st half.. Pats 19:52 to Rams 10:08
2nd half.. Pats 13.58 to Rams 16:42
For the game.. Pats 33:10 Rams 26:50

After the first half this looked like BB & Crew were exhausting the Rams defense, but the second half the Rams held the ball longer.. but to no avail as that stat did not mean as much as I thought it might have..

Total number of plays Pats 68 to Rams 60

Penalties Pats 3 for -20 yards to Rams 9 for-65 yards.

Then there the 9 record breaking Johnny Hekker punts.. the Pats had 5 punts, defensive battle???

Statistics are not as revealing as much as they seemed on the TV, but one obvious thing was the Pats acted and executed like they had been there before...

Great stuff.
I'm equally interested in what the Rams did that bottled up the Pats so well. Seemed like they took away White and the dump downs more effectively than anyone every has, and everything downfield and to the sidelines was well covered.

I think the other thing was that the pressure didn’t help with the timing of those sort of throws.

If anyone has the footage of hogan being covered I’d like to see what happened there

I think the other thing was that the pressure didn’t help with the timing of those sort of throws.

If anyone has the footage of hogan being covered I’d like to see what happened there
After watching it live, the Rams did a phenomenal job of taking away White and Hogan. I will watch that when I re-watch it to see what they did. I really thought the check downs to the RBs would be there.

He has the right character and level of accountability. The question is if he can evolve the same way BB (or other greats) have done over the years. You can't beat a BB team by just "doing what we do". Wade knew that and constructed a pretty good gameplan on defense that kept Brady on his toes. McVay on the other hand seemed to be shellshocked at times that his bread and butter (11 personnel) was so ineffective.
Without Kupp and much of anything to speak of at the TE position, they just don’t have the personnel to take advantage of what the Pats were throwing at them. Kupp would have killed us had we thrown the split safety/C2 zone stuff at them last night. Their personnel is one of the reasons I said in the game thread that losing Chung really wasnt that big of a deal due to the opponent we were facing. Had it happened against, say, the Chiefs, it would have been much worse.

Balls of steel playcall right there

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey