PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post 24 QB Primer Thread

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Why isn’t Joe Milton III being considered for the first round. Anthony Richardson, hello? Except Milton is bigger, more athletic, and has raw tools to make ANY QB of the past seem inferior.

Why isn’t Joe Milton III being considered for the first round. Anthony Richardson, hello? Except Milton is bigger, more athletic, and has raw tools to make ANY QB of the past seem inferior.

Here’s an article I read awhile back that explains why Milton does not project as well as Richardson.

Daniels won the Unitas Award for Leadership. And he repeatedly brought LSU back in shootouts where their defense was letting teams put up big numbers against them, when it comes to this quality he has to get the edge over the others.
Yeah, having dug into this more in the last few weeks I have to credit Daniels on leadership more. He has gotten rave reviews all over from his teammates and coaches and interviewed well. I also actually think McCarthy might be more pro ready than Maye, as far as having more polished footwork and more experience in a pro system, but at the same time has a lot less overall reps.

My opinion on Maye has diminished the last couple weeks and I probably have him in a tie with McCarthy. Maye has huge upside but some of his misses are just so bad. The total bust potential scares me. McCarthy actually seems like he has a higher floor, but his ceiling is really just guessing. I originally thought Daniels had some middle of field limitations too, but after digging in more I think that was also a product of scheme and play calling. So I would probably rate the QBs Williams - Daniels - Maye/McCarthy at this point.

Yeah, having dug into this more in the last few weeks I have to credit Daniels on leadership more. He has gotten rave reviews all over from his teammates and coaches and interviewed well. I also actually think McCarthy might be more pro ready than Maye, as far as having more polished footwork and more experience in a pro system, but at the same time has a lot less overall reps.

My opinion on Maye has diminished the last couple weeks and I probably have him in a tie with McCarthy. Maye has huge upside but some of his misses are just so bad. The total bust potential scares me. McCarthy actually seems like he has a higher floor, but his ceiling is really just guessing. I originally thought Daniels had some middle of field limitations too, but after digging in more I think that was also a product of scheme and play calling. So I would probably rate the QBs Williams - Daniels - Maye/McCarthy at this point.

I see it a little different, but I think this is a very fair assessment. There will always be risk with QB prospects, but if they pass the evaluations, and you can take a prospect with a franchise ceiling you take them. I honestly thought Allen was a huge risk because he was so inaccurate coming into the league, but he showed you can coach a guy to franchise level if they do the work and you surround them with weapons. And the sooner you get them in your system, even if that is just watching for a year, the sooner you will start getting to the level necessary to contend in the NFL.

Penix’s throwing motion bothers me. He throws a bit sidearm with a low release point. I would expect his passes to get batted down too often. It doesn’t seem that most people scouting him mention it. I’m wondering if people think it’s a problem or not. I also wonder how difficult it would be to correct that and learn to throw more over the top with a higher release.

Penix’s throwing motion bothers me. He throws a bit sidearm with a low release point. I would expect his passes to get batted down too often. It doesn’t seem that most people scouting him mention it. I’m wondering if people think it’s a problem or not. I also wonder how difficult it would be to correct that and learn to throw more over the top with a higher release.
Don't see it. He has a huge arm though, and enormous hands.

I do like the fact that as a left hander, we'd already have the tackle to cover his blind side in house.

Maye is a more talented Jordan Love. Also, they share similar situations regarding the difference in play/stats between their sophomore and junior years. They each lost a lot of talent after their sophomore years, which partly explains the statistical dip. They may have felt that they had to over compensate due to the lack of talent; which is understandable. I’m not defending some of the obvious flaws/decisions, but many are nitpicking Maye’s skill set/game a bit too much..may be prospect fatigue. In any other draft, he’s most certainly the #1 pick. This guy is insanely talented and just 21 years old. As previously stated, I’m cool with either Maye or Daniels (let’s be real, we’re drafting one of these guys…unless there’s some sort of ridiculous offer for a trade down, anything else is just bullsh#t). These dudes are super dynamic and we’re honestly fortunate to have the 3rd pick in this draft. Barring development, I’m excited to have the opportunity to have an Allen/Herbert/Love/Stroud type talent OR a Lamar/Cunningham/Watson/RG3/Wilson type of prospect. Either way, it’s intriguing. I’ve been on Maye since last year, so if I had to choose today…I’d take Maye. There’s just something special about this kid..

Last edited:

Last edited:
Jayden Daniels won’t last long as a starter IMO

I personally think the Pats are either going to take Daniels or McCarthy. They will want someone who is ready sooner than later (Brissett is on a 1 year deal) and they put a big emphasis on the intangibles and being a guy who can handle being the Pats QB. I’m sure they like Maye’s potential but they may not want to give him a whole year or more to work on his mechanics and just hope. Just my opinion though, seems like they’ll value “higher floor”/“ready sooner or immediately”/“high intangibles factor” over raw physical potential.

I’ve seen him take huge shots on the run and pop up immediately, even against Alabama. And that was before he puts on some weight. I’m not really too worried about his frame or durability until he starts actually getting hurt or playing stupid.

I’ve seen him take huge shots on the run and pop up immediately, even against Alabama. And that was before he puts on some weight. I’m not really too worried about his frame or durability until he starts actually getting hurt or playing stupid.
Agreed. He’ll obviously inevitably get hit at certain times throughout his career, but as long as he’s cognizant of when/where to slide, get OOB, throw it away etc..he’ll be fine. If he’s drafted here, I’m certain AVP & the other coaches will hammer this concept into his skull. Protect thyself, O scrawny one!..

Trying to convince folks with facts again. sigh!

This a fact free zone.
=========
Daniels is likely to miss fewer games because of injury than any of the top 6.

He left the game vs Alabama after a head shot from Dallas Turner in the 4th.

Despite that, I thought he played well enough, even in his other defeat vs FSU. Clearly both defenses were superior.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back