PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post 24 QB Primer Thread

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Actually we do have a couple of trade-down options, assuming the Pats think McCarthy is on the same/very similar tier as Maye, making it a top-4 QB decision. Assume for this discussion that Caleb and Daniels are taken at 1 & 2.

a. move down to #4, swapping with the Cardinals who pick Harrison. Would have to convince the Cards that we were gonna trade #3 to someone like the Chargers who'd take him. If the Cards really love MH, they have to be worried about this scenario. This would be the best move because Maye and Daniels would still be there for us at #4. Even if AZ surprisingly trades the pick or takes a QB themselves, we're still getting one of the 4 top QB's at #4. And AZ has a ton of draft capital including #27, which I'd love to swap for 34 as part of this deal. We should be able to get to #27 plus get one of their three 3rd rounders.

b. move down to #5, swapping with the Chargers who picks Harrison. AZ would then likely trade down from 4 to a QB needy team who takes Maye or McCarthy, then we take the other one at 5. We could discount the price in this deal (e.g., get their 3rd and 4th) in exchange for assurance that LA must take Harrison and not trade it or take a QB with the #3 pick.

Either of these moves would be extremely desirable for us, where we get to eat our cake and have it too.
I'm for any trade scenario that has us come away with at least McCarthy as QB (if we don't select Maye for whatever reason and in whichever spot). If we can get McCarthy and add assets this draft and possibly the next, then I'd be good with that. So, at QB, we have to come away with Maye or McCarthy. None of the other QB's (Penix and Nix especially) will do it. I'm also not a fan of Daniels.

Question that doesn't involve WHO will be our draft QB pick...

How many games does Brissett start ?
How many games does Draft QB start ?
I've heard it said that depending on how well the OL performs and the skill position players (and how well the rookie QB does in camp and pre-season), The rookie could start as soon as the 5th game. Personally, if it's Maye or McCarthy (or any rookie QB for that matter), as long as Brissett is healthy enough to play, I'd sit the rookie for his rookie season.

Just take McCarthy at 3 he's going to be the best out of all the QBs from 2024.
If he is even there at 3....
At this point I've come to think of the QB's as the top-4 including McCarthy, and I'd be equally happy with any of them, especially if we can squeeze an extra pick out of someone and still land one of these guys. Caleb is #1 to Chicago without question. Washington is a coin flip, but I think it'll be Maye. I'd like to see us slide down to 4 or 5 and pick whichever one is left.

Honestly at this point skip the trade down and just select a QB at as long as its not Jayden. Don't get greedy and miss out on all of them and get stuck with Penix

At this point I've come to think of the QB's as the top-4 including McCarthy, and I'd be equally happy with any of them, especially if we can squeeze an extra pick out of someone and still land one of these guys. Caleb is #1 to Chicago without question. Washington is a coin flip, but I think it'll be Maye. I'd like to see us slide down to 4 or 5 and pick whichever one is left.
If we come out of this draft with either Maye or McCarthy (and whoever else we draft if we stay at #3 etc., even in a trade down) we'll be off to a good start. However, in any trade down, many mock draft's have the Giant's and another team (probably the Vikings) trading up to #4 to take McCarthy, which works great for Arizona as they'll still be able to get an elite WR and/or OT as they're sticking with Kyler Murray. If that happens, we're screwed and left with Penix Jr. or Nix (A.K.A. BUSTS).

If we come out of this draft with either Maye or McCarthy (and whoever else we draft if we stay at #3 etc., even in a trade down) we'll be off to a good start. However, in any trade down, many mock draft's have the Giant's and another team (probably the Vikings) trading up to #4 to take McCarthy, which works great for Arizona as they'll still be able to get an elite WR and/or OT as they're sticking with Kyler Murray. If that happens, we're screwed and left with Penix Jr. or Nix (A.K.A. BUSTS).

We are set up real well to grab a top qb prospect and a tier 2 wr at 34. We should just keep it simple and follow that or do a small trade up from 34 if brian thomas falls to around 30. Then hope to land lt/fs/cb later in the draft or get the fs/cb through fa. You get the qb prospect and land the other 4 by some combination, or even 3 of the 4 and thats a success imo. A trade down really isn’t necessary to fill out the roster the way we are set up, just lowers your chances of landing the qb.

I actually feel pretty confident that Nix would thrive in a system like the Browns, assuming that is what AVP installs. I just don't think he has the upside of Maye or McCarthy. I would not be disappointed with Nix, and before people come at me with his age remember TB12 ws 24 when he started his 2nd year. Bo is currently 24, so a little older but he would be solid until he is 30+

I actually feel pretty confident that Nix would thrive in a system like the Browns, assuming that is what AVP installs. I just don't think he has the upside of Maye or McCarthy. I would not be disappointed with Nix, and before people come at me with his age remember TB12 ws 24 when he started his 2nd year. Bo is currently 24, so a little older but he would be solid until he is 30+
It's not so much the age issue, it's just that I don't believe that he can be anything more than a Brock Purdy and even with a great team around him, just doesn't have the "It Factor". Which is primarily why the Chiefs won, because they have a legit Franchise "It Factor" QB. At best, he's just a more athletic Mac Jones, with maybe a slightly stronger arm, which still won't cut it for the long haul.

It's not so much the age issue, it's just that I don't believe that he can be anything more than a Brock Purdy and even with a great team around him, just doesn't have the "It Factor". Which is primarily why the Chiefs won, because they have a legit Franchise "It Factor" QB. At best, he's just a more athletic Mac Jones, with maybe a slightly stronger arm, which still won't cut it for the long haul.
I get ya, I personally disagree with that assessment. I would rather see JJ or Maye. lol

I get ya, I personally disagree with that assessment. I would rather see JJ or Maye. lol
I absolutely agree with the get Maye or McCarthy school of thought. I was pointing out to the original poster that I didn't want Nix or Penix Jr. etc.

This person on Youtube, Adrian Sienko has several prospects tape of all of their plays in one video. I put 4 below of the QBs because that is probably our 1st pick. This person has several WRs as well, great resource. Downside is that it is not all 22.

Drake Maye
Penix
Daniels
JJ

I don’t. That MSU defense was ranked at the bottom of the Big Ten. Granted, he showed good ability to avoid the blitzes But otherwise State was going to pay a grand on him. Such a dominate OL.

And receivers wide open or behind the ineffective LB.

Mac Jones had a similar situation at Bama.

So if Wash takes Maye, would you take McCarthy over Daniels?

If Daniels comparison is Tyrod Taylor...shouldn't they pass and draft MHJ? Unless bleacher report is useless.

A warning for those who want to build the rest of the team first. Then, take the QB.

I don’t. That MSU defense was ranked at the bottom of the Big Ten. Granted, he showed good ability to avoid the blitzes But otherwise State was going to pay a grand on him. Such a dominate OL.

And receivers wide open or behind the ineffective LB.

Mac Jones had a similar situation at Bama.
MSU is only one of many teams he went against. He’s got leadership abilities, very accurate, mobile, can rip it in less than ideal conditions, tough, stands in the pocket with pressure in his face, excellent on third and long (best in the country), ran a pro-style offense, great decision maker, operates well on out of structure plays, among many other translatable traits, and he’s super young so he can molded & hopefully reach his full potential. Also, he didn’t have any world beaters at WR/TE. Wilson, Johnson, Barner & Loveland are good players; nothing special. I’m team Maye/Daniels, but I’d take my chances with the kid…

Kurt Warner breaks down Jayden Daniels part 2.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back