PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Superbowl Rewatch thread: the great defensive duel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just like McCourty PBU was the play of the game defensively, I think this was the play of the game offensively. First time either team had reached the red zone all game.

baldy sounds mad lol!

but yeah w/ those clips its easy to see, Goff played much worse than even i thought, and i thought he did OK...

cooks must be thinking its night and day between brady and goff(and it is), Goff missed so many wide open people

So trying to understand the defensive gameplan. Hoping someone can help me.
About 50% man, 50% zone
When we went man, typically a cover 1 robber type defense (and occasionally sending 5)?

When we went zone, i saw someone say quarters, someone saw cover 2, but people also say split safeties... What zones were we mostly running?

baldy sounds mad lol!

but yeah w/ those clips its easy to see, Goff played much worse than even i thought, and i thought he did OK...

cooks must be thinking its night and day between brady and goff(and it is), Goff missed so many wide open people

I was going to say the same thing! Baldy is mad at the Rams' incompetence.

Makes you think they should trade Goff before his next contract is due lest they become the 2018 Jags.

Just solid work and fundamentals that the Pats D displayed that the Rams offense did not. I would be interested in hearing him talk about Pats O and Rams D. The trench war there seemed more like a stalemate.

A breakdown of the drive that resulted in the only TD of the game, involving McDaniels drawing on a play (HOSS) in 22 personnel that was not part of the game plan, but something that had to be improvised. McD called it three times in a row.

An oral history of Pats' game-winning drive
It's astounding that the breakthrough offensive scheme involved splitting Dwayne Allen out wide as a receiver (Edit: To run a vertical seam route! RBs ran the hitches) . When all else fails....

Last edited:
About 50% man, 50% zone
When we went man, typically a cover 1 robber type defense (and occasionally sending 5)?

When we went zone, i saw someone say quarters, someone saw cover 2, but people also say split safeties... What zones were we mostly running?
I know the great Jason McCourty play they were in quarters. He was supposed to guard the deep right and he ranged all the way back to the goalpost to break up the pass when the other three deep men went shallow.

About 50% man, 50% zone

You will have to wait until the A22 is available to a more comprehensive answer.

I would think that we have two reasonable options to re-sign at DT: Shelton or Brown.

It would be interesting to see how much either would sign for. I’m not convinced either justify big money.

About 50% man, 50% zone

Quarters and sometimes 6. Orlovsky mentioned it was almost 90% zone. For a more comprehensive answer, though, need all 22.

Thinking about the impact of Zeus Hightower on the last 3 SB wins - really stunning - how clutch and essential. too bad he was injured last year

The MMQB article also says a lot of quarters coverage with a 6-1 front. LBs up on the LOS on the edges helped disrupt both the running game and WRs with tight splits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes