PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Reason Tom Brady is not a System Quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a total of 24 games: 16 (Cassell), 6 (Watson), and 2 (Garappolo).

McDaniels was HC and OC for Denver and St. Louis for 2.5 years, Weis spent 10 years around the NCAA after retiring in 2014; O'Brien has been at Penn State and the Texans for 6 years. So, we are talking about nearly 20 combined years that the three of them to show they are truly QB gurus and can magically spin gold with their "system." I don't think one pro bowl season, a good looking six quarters of play, and an incredible rookie athlete playing awesome for less than half a season, really puts a dent in my overall point.

It's not that McDaniels, Weis, and/or O'Brien aren't good coaches; it's that each of them has proven that their system is only as good as its quarterback, and Brady can thrive with various types of offenses, whether it's the spread, two TE, west coast style, or virtually anything that he has, including when he plays with garbage skill players.

If you want to see a great system where virtually anyone could be plugged into it and play at a pro bowl level, you'd need to look at the 49ers from 1981-1998. It wasn't just Montana and Young, it was even guys like Steve Bono, Elvis Grbac, and Jeff Garcia. With all the talent and the system, it was very much more a plug-n-play.
I believe if a QB is talented he'll succeed anywhere. Weis, JMD and BOB proved they can win with an elite QB and also get the most out of a decent to good QB.

Bono and Grbac were functional backups with decent talent that also had success with other teams. Its not like they were awesome in SF then sucked everywhere else. Garcia has a couple of very good years but also had very good talent surrounding him.

RW, it is nothing more than stupid, mindless nonsense used in a pitiful attempt to "rationalize" and denigrate and reduce the impressiveness of Tom's (and the team's) accomplishments.

It's like calling Bill Russell the greatest "winner" ever.
Are you saying I'm throwing shade on Tom?

I'm doing nothing of the sort. I'm saying Tom is the GOAT and would kick ass anywhere in any system.

Just like Russ would take any team to the Finals.

We all know how great Brady is but a lot of these Pat haters (and some Pats fans that only like Belichick) claim that Brady is a system. A friend showed me an article he saw that comprehensively broke down why the narrative exist (not being the most athletic coming into the league) and how he's had success with very different offensive systems and more things like that.

Why Tom Brady is NOT a ‘System’ Quarterback

I wonder what think about the article.
Agree.

BTW, did Michigan use the same "system" in the Orange Bowl with Tom that Notre Dame did in the Cotton Bowl with Joe?

This thread is SO 2004...

Put Brady into another system (e.g. Air Coryell or some of the stuff Kubiak/Shanahan Sr. was running) and he is not a generational player anymore but merely a very good QB. This does not make him a system QB but a human being who like everyone else has strengths and weaknesses.

I don't understand why passionate Brady fans get upset when others point out that for him to reach his full potential he had to be in an environment that recognized those strengths and weaknesses and built an identity on offense around that accordingly.

His strengths (e.g. fast decision making, fast release, accuracy, foot work...) give him the edge over many other elite athletes in crunch situations and are what make him the GOAT. If you don't have a fundamental design on offense that leverages those strengths strategically you are not getting full value out of him.

At this point people should understand that success in football is never, ever based on a single thing. But it is many parts working together in unison to create something bigger.

Spot on man. The offense has changed because the rules have changed but the system has always been the same. Short passing is essentially a run

Hes a system QB. But it is not an insult. Far from it. He could succeed in many

The answer to this "System QB" BS is simple and concise: Brady can't be a system QB since he played through various systems. Run heavy, pass heavy, having strong defense, having weak defense, talented offense, not-so-much talented offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes