PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Reason Tom Brady is not a System Quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.

adster124

Rookie
Reaction score
We all know how great Brady is but a lot of these Pat haters (and some Pats fans that only like Belichick) claim that Brady is a system. A friend showed me an article he saw that comprehensively broke down why the narrative exist (not being the most athletic coming into the league) and how he's had success with very different offensive systems and more things like that.

Why Tom Brady is NOT a ‘System’ Quarterback

I wonder what think about the article.

I do not get it. Can anyone show me a non system QB in this league? Football is a system game, every coach leads his team based on schemes and system. If a QB stays in the team and is successful because this team works as a great machine it makes him a so called "system" QB. The recipe for the success and being non system QB is to be a part at least of 5 teams, dream about rings but to have non of them.So following that formula thanks God we have got so many non system QBs in the league.
And let me get this straight TB12 is the best QB in the entire NFL not because I support Patriots but he is simply the best. If you open your eyes widely and you are unbiased you know that very well. if not you are just a hypocrite.

Put Brady into another system (e.g. Air Coryell or some of the stuff Kubiak/Shanahan Sr. was running) and he is not a generational player anymore but merely a very good QB. This does not make him a system QB but a human being who like everyone else has strengths and weaknesses.

I don't understand why passionate Brady fans get upset when others point out that for him to reach his full potential he had to be in an environment that recognized those strengths and weaknesses and built an identity on offense around that accordingly.

His strengths (e.g. fast decision making, fast release, accuracy, foot work...) give him the edge over many other elite athletes in crunch situations and are what make him the GOAT. If you don't have a fundamental design on offense that leverages those strengths strategically you are not getting full value out of him.

At this point people should understand that success in football is never, ever based on a single thing. But it is many parts working together in unison to create something bigger.

Last edited:
Nicely said. Using advantages is not a sin. On the contrary it is another advantage.

The skill of BB and his crew is developing an offense that plays to his strengths, if that makes him a system QB could give a rats azz...

OTOH have little faith in an article that has no author cited, and did not take the time to figure out how to spell Reche...

Simply put, this particular system (Erhardt-Perkins) maximizes & accentuates Brady’s strengths; but Brady still could’ve played in any era of football. He’s already played in two different eras; arguably three depending on who you ask.

Last edited:
(and some Pats fans that only like Belichick)
Hmm..let's see. I wonder if the fans who only like Bill Belichick ever watch any of the action on the field? Or do they only watch Bill in his hoodie on the sideline? One of the most exciting games for the fans who only like Bill was in 2014 when he flew the red flag almost 15 yards onto the field. The Patriots ended up losing the game, but for the fans who only like Bill that never matters. The pin point accuracy of that red review flag landing on the 40 yard line marker was mesmerizing. Another exciting BBHoodie play is when he puts the cap of the pen in his mouth and pulls the main part of the pen out to write, leaving the cap in his mouth as he writes. That move alone is why Bill is not a system coach and could actually coach on any team.

I do not get it. Can anyone show me a non system QB in this league? Football is a system game, every coach leads his team based on schemes and system. If a QB stays in the team and is successful because this team works as a great machine it makes him a so called "system" QB. The recipe for the success and being non system QB is to be a part at least of 5 teams, dream about rings but to have non of them.So following that formula thanks God we have got so many non system QBs in the league.
And let me get this straight TB12 is the best QB in the entire NFL not because I support Patriots but he is simply the best. If you open your eyes widely and you are unbiased you know that very well. if not you are just a hypocrite.
They essentially mean a Favre/Rodgers verses lack of improvisation. The premise is wrong anyway, because Brady is actually stellar even when things break down, and the fact that none of his receivers are out of any play is because of him not the system. His improvisation looks different than theirs, he and to a lessor extent Peyton Manning are the most cerebral QBs the game has ever seen.

Put Brady into a west coast offense and he is not a generational player anymore but merely a very good QB. This does not make him a system QB but a human being who like everyone else has strengths and weaknesses.

I don't understand why passionate Brady fans get upset when others point out that for him to reach his full potential he had to be in an environment that recognized those strengths and weaknesses and built an identity on offense around that accordingly.

His strengths (e.g. fast decision making, fast release, accuracy, foot work...) give him the edge over many other elite athletes in crunch situations and are what make him the GOAT. If you don't have a fundamental design on offense that leverages those strengths strategically you are not getting full value out of him.

At this point people should understand that success in football is never, ever based on a single thing. But it is many parts working together in unison to create something bigger.

Fast decision making, fast release, accuracy and footwork make him the perfect West Coast Offense QB.

Its not like they are running the Wishbone or the Wildcat

Additionally Brady has never had so skilful Wrs like Favre/Rodgers had.He won games counting on aces like Thompson or Dobson.Maybe Moss is an only exception being a superstar as a WR. I can see nothing wrong being a part of successful system. Brady is the creator of that system of course with the help of many people. It is a nonsense to change the environment, the team to prove he is out of the system.

What I’m wondering is who the hell Rasheed Caldwell is.

The 'author' was fond of telling us what he felt we didn't know but of course did. But he did get that one right, we honestly have no bleeping idea who the hell Rasheed Caldwell is. Wonder if he's related to Reche? If so let's hope he was spared the family gene that produced those deer in the headlights eyes.

Brady is good enough to be put in any system and succeed. His accuracy and study habits ensure that. This is just the system that takes the most advantage or his most valuable asset - his brain. But that does not make him a system quarterback.

A friend showed me an article he saw that comprehensively broke down why the narrative exist...

I wonder what think about the article.

There was nothing 'comprehensive' about that abomination.
What I think about the article is a 4th grader might have written a better one on the subject. I find the concept of calling a QB a 'system guy' to be laughable on it's face. Every Pro QB that ever took a snap was playing in a system of sorts, no one is just winging it out there in spite of how the Jets make it look.

I shall argue the opposition position:
Two very successful non-system QBs....Brett Gun Slinger Favre & Ben The Immovable Statue Rapelisberger....unless you believe their "system" is to wait for plays to break down and then sling it down field.
How about Michael Who Let The Dogs Out Vick....his system was to pretend to look down field....and then run 60 yards.
Cam Newton's system......call his own number at the goal line and rack up one yard TDs while his RBs scratch their helmets

Fast decision making, fast release, accuracy and footwork make him the perfect West Coast Offense QB.

Its not like they are running the Wishbone or the Wildcat

He’s the perfect QB for Erhardt-Perkins. Aaron Rodgers probably wouldn’t thrive here.

Brady is good enough to be put in any system and succeed. His accuracy and study habits ensure that. This is just the system that takes the most advantage or his most valuable asset - his brain. But that does not make him a system quarterback.
I agree with your basic premise, that Brady has skills which translate to almost any system, but if you put him in the chargers air Cordell I think he would be meh at best. It's just not what he is great at. Now you put Bledsoe in that system...sometimes I feel bad for the guy cuz he was born 20 years late. Could have been a HOFer.

If he is a system QB, then it's the greatest system ever and not something any coach can duplicate with any other QB. Yeah, I'm thinking it's the QB. However, having one of the (if not actually the) greatest coach who plays to his strengths has provided him with multiple chances to win SBs.

Even if Brady was on the Jets he'd probably have made it to the SB (and that's about as high a compliment as one can get).

He’s the perfect QB for Erhardt-Perkins. Aaron Rodgers probably wouldn’t thrive here.

I think the "system" argument is overrated. If a QB has a strong arm, can make quick, intelligent decisions, is accurate, had good footwork and can lead men he can play anywhere in any system.

I think AR would be do well in the E-P offense but I do wonder how we would perform as a young player under BB and Weis. Those two coached Tom hard and thats what Tom wanted. Not sure how AR would handle that kind of minute-by-minute pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News