PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official NFL Draft Day 1 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's simple i want one of those speedy receivers that are remaining or Jenkins to bolster the secondary.

Re-sign Carter, and Jones has a year to learn, get stronger and, possibly, play the role of Mark Anderson as the sub and/or bookend for Carter.

3-4 OLB - Ninko, Hightower
3-4 ILB - Mayo, Spikes

4-3 OLB - Hightower, Mayo
4-3 ILB - Spikes

So, unless there's a DT that BB finds irresistible at 48, let's see the WR next and go from there.

Since nickle/dime is half the plays, that is an important role too.
We certainly can use him in the rotation.

We still need a S and could really upgrade at 34 DE (which I assume you are talking about with DT) too.

Would have loved both. But I've always loved Hightower. I'm going to claim that I was the first to suggest him as a pick for OLB. Might be wrong but it was back in December.

Congrats on that binky of yours. I argued the pick with you some about him playing olb a little bit a few months back. I like the pick and have certainly liked the buzz the last month about his superior instincts. Hopefully he will show the exact scheme versatility you have seen and he will be the star we have been looking for.

I know that, but we haven't picked boom or bust players we went for nailed on sure fire starters with high ceilings from 2 fantastic programs.

They both could have gone before 20 easily.

Agreed, very interesting first round, not only did we get incredible value, in my opinion, we got at least one starter in Hightower and someone who could play 60-70% of the defensive snaps given how often were in sub packages in Jones.

I can see a pretty dominant run D this year with a positively improved pass rush, lets resign Carter for more depth and leadership/passing on knowledge and pickup Jenkins and let McCourty play free safety, I liked what he did late last season with the game infront of him. Moore impressed at times and having an offseason should help.

edit: I would also like Hill, even though he comes from a similar offense to Taylor Price, he's a physical freak. Ran a 4.3x and he's 6'3 or 6'4? Instant outside threat, he could play in a very simplified role given his physical abilities alone.

Last edited:
Agreed, very interesting first round, not only did we get incredible value, in my opinion, we got at least one starter in Hightower and someone who could play 60-70% of the defensive snaps given how often were in sub packages in Jones.

I can see a pretty dominant run D this year with a positively improved pass rush, lets resign Carter for more depth and leadership/passing on knowledge and pickup Jenkins and let McCourty play free safety, I liked what he did late last season with the game infront of him. Moore impressed at times and having an offseason should help.

Yeah nobody is gonna run on us this year, last year we were stout but this year even better. Now with mccourty's sophomore slump over and the addition of an impact playmaker like Jenkins that secondary looks much, much better.

edit: I would also like Hill, even though he comes from a similar offense to Taylor Price, he's a physical freak. Ran a 4.3x and he's 6'3 or 6'4? Instant outside threat, he could play in a very simplified role given his physical abilities alone.

He's one of those speedy deep receivers i was talking about that i wouldn't mind taking if we don't get Jenkins.

Yes, we are discussing the 34.

I don't think you can just assume that we will play a 3-4 base. I don't think any of the moves so far this offseason suggest we will go back to a 3 man front.

Why the Ninko hate. Shmess. Pretty harsh for a guy who was more productive last season than Clay Matthews, despite the fact he's asked to a lot more than just freelance.

Two words: Arm Tackles

Nice first round, probably the best since Vince fell to NE his year. Looking forward to see gets added tomorrow; getting someone who can, you know, return kickoffs would be a nice bonus.

Just remember that kick-off returns has as much to do with the the guys blocking as it does with the guy running the ball back.

I don't really like any of the WRs in round 2, but we must take a chance on Janoris Jenkins. If he's great, we score a MAJOR steal and this could end up as one of our greatest defensive drafts ever!

If he's a bust... we'll be all right. Another wasted draft pick is not a big deal for this team. The upside trumps the risk

...edit: I would also like Hill, even though he comes from a similar offense to Taylor Price, he's a physical freak. Ran a 4.3x and he's 6'3 or 6'4? Instant outside threat, he could play in a very simplified role given his physical abilities alone.

I like Hill if they go big, and Adams if they go small. Sanu and Jeffery both struggle to get separation, and I think we've seen enough of that at WR lately.

Last edited:
Unless Jenkins falls, one more round to be complete that BB agreed that Arrington, Mccourty, Dowling, and Moore is being deep and young at CB and one wasn't needed. :D

..Julian Edelman? He was the best arm tackler I saw last season. ...well, the only one.

Then he should teach Ninko how to do it effectively.

Honestly, one would hope he would have learned this fundamental by now. If I have to watch another spin around - fall on the ground move from him one more time I could wretch.

I like Hill if they go big, and Adams if they go small. Sanu and Jeffery both struggle to get separation, and I think we've seen enough of that at WR lately.

Rueben Randle would be a good target as well, but he doesn't have the "elite speed" that Hill has.

Last edited:
280 is still too small.
I'm inclined to agree with the above for the most part and also think that Jones was drafted to play elephant, but playing 34 DE @ 280-285 isn't out of the question. If I recall, I think Bobby Hamilton weighed somewhere around there and was a solid contributor though hardly mid-first round production.

I'm not contesting anyone's points here actually. It's too great a day to be objectionable. But I don't see Jones as being similar to Willie in body type at all. This guy is thick legged and lumbers. Willie was pretty well proportioned, could motor and was strong. Jones, on the other hand, will need some work.

Call me crazy but the next portion I'm really looking forward to is signing undrafted players. Our front office has had a knack for finding some gems. Truth be told, there probably won't be much of a drop off from mid-late round guys to UDFA this year.

Yeah for me i'm shocked that Hill is not gone yet.

I'm not. He's a workout warrior. No thank you.

Alshon Jeffrey put up a couple of good seasons with garbage at qb. Give him Tom Brady and he has the ability to be Randy Moss, except Jeffrey is actually a team player.

So am I the only one who suspects the Browns traded up to back out the Jets for Richardson? Might've been the Bucs too, but I prefer to think this is why Shonn Greene will be the feature of "Ground'n Pound, NYJ 2012!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore