PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official NFL Draft Day 1 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Call me crazy but the next portion I'm really looking forward to is signing undrafted players. Our front office has had a knack for finding some gems. Truth be told, there probably won't be much of a drop off from mid-late round guys to UDFA this year.

Agree.

As someone else mentioned, the Pats may not feel that this is a deep draft, making it easier for them to part with a 3rd and 4th to get two impact defensive players. Even if they trade down in the second round and add a 3rd-5th round pick, they still wont end up spending as much money on this draft class as they have in past years.

They also have a very deep roster as it stands, so the players that they would have drafted in rounds 5-7 would likely have ended up with other teams anyway, after the final cut down day (see Smith, Lee). The other teams always seem to key on the Pats late round picks, making it harder for BB sneak them onto the practice squad, thus decreasing their value to the Pats.

Could they be planning to go UDFA heavy this year, not only in quantity (increased training camp roster limits this year) but also in paying top dollar for their priority UDFAs (ie. throwing an unusual amount of $$ at their top guys in order to outbid other teams)?

Coples....

1306720430001.gif

This is the best post of the day. Hilarious.

Janoris Jenkins will be a Patriot tomorrow..

Pats will have to trade up to make that happen. Lots of chatter about him going very early in the 2nd round.

I don't think you can just assume that we will play a 3-4 base. I don't think any of the moves so far this offseason suggest we will go back to a 3 man front.
Personally, I think they all indicate 34, but the point was that we were discussing solely where Jones would play in a 34

Wouldn't mind that at all either.

I'm not. As a former Gator, I would take him. But the kid has all sorts of attitude and disciplinary issues and baggage already. His talent, especially in man coverage, is immense. But I would rather have Boykin. He'll be available in round 3, can play in all three phases of the game, is excellent in man coverage as well, and fills the KR need better than anybody else could. Jenkins, overall, is more talented. But Boykin comes without the baggage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News