PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Following teams should be selling the farm for Jimmy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who wants to trade a franchise QB so bad andwhy.
If Brady gets a injury or retire then we are scrambling for a Jimmy G hoping we find a franchise QB no thank you.

Carson Wentz and Derek Carr's dont fall from trees.

because what Brady's doing now is just simply amazing...and he doesn't show any sign of slowing down.

You have to be objective and ask what's the bigger priority: grooming Brady's replacement? Or capitalizing on the remaining years he has as an elite quarterback, by acquiring however many draft picks a team is willing to offer for Jimmy G?

A rejuvenated running game, and a better offensive line, could conceivably extend Brady's career and give us more opportunities to compete for a title.

Who wants to trade a franchise QB so bad and why.
If Brady gets a injury or retire then we are scrambling for a Jimmy G hoping we find a franchise QB no thank you.

There are other factors. He's a FA after next year and perhaps he doesn't want to resign and be in Brady's shadow. I'm sure he'll get an offer sheet. BB sees him on a day to day basis, maybe he doesn't believe he can be great. There are things we really don't know, but the market will be there

because what Brady's doing now is just simply amazing...and he doesn't show any sign of slowing down.

You have to be objective and ask what's the bigger priority: grooming Brady's replacement? Or capitalizing on the remaining years he has as an elite quarterback, by acquiring however many draft picks a team is willing to offer for Jimmy G?

A rejuvenated running game, and a better offensive line, could conceivably extend Brady's career and give us more opportunities to compete for a title.

it really is a catch 22. I kind of want to die with Brady. I want to see him play until he can't and then rebuild when he retires. Now if he's telling BB that next year is his last then keep Jimmy obviously.

here

Im not saying he is trash, im saying that teams arent going to be clamoring to give up a top five pick to get him after seeing just 6 quarters. If he had played all four games at the level he was they still might not be

anything less than a 1st rounder and a mid-round pick is unacceptable

There are other factors. He's a FA after next year and perhaps he doesn't want to resign and be in Brady's shadow. I'm sure he'll get an offer sheet. BB sees him on a day to day basis, maybe he doesn't believe he can be great. There are things we really don't know, but the market will be there
He would be crazy to resign here if he has to sit behind Brady

as opposed to what? Letting him walk for free would be pretty dumb

Jimmy still has a full year left on his rookie contract. So for the moment, the Pats have all the cards in their hands. Besides....I'm fairly certain there will be a bidding war for Jimmy G this offseason.

I expect there to be some enticing offers from many bottom-tier teams

Last edited:
Who wants to trade a franchise QB so bad and why.

I will grant you this....everywhere you look, there's young QBs with promising futures.

The Pats might want to decide when to jump in on the youth movement.

But until Brady starts slowing down, a rebuild just seems premature.

Jimmy still has a full year left on his rookie contract. So for the moment, the Pats have all the cards in their hands. Besides....I'm fairly certain there will be a bidding war for Jimmy G this offseason.

I expect there to be some enticing offers from many bottom-tier teams
i mean it would be nice but im not counting on it

Super cheap? Goff earned $28m dollars on his rookie deal with another $18m in signing bonus on top of that.

Not to mention not every rookie quarterback will have a Carson Wentz type of debut.
Wentz numbers so far - 1,324 yards passing 8 TD pass 3 INTs QB rating of 92.7
Goff numbers so far - goose egg.

With Garappolo, he's already broken into the league and learned to be at the starter level. Depending on who you take, it might take a couple of years before they are ready to start for a team and actually be good enough to win football games for you instead of losing them.

So there's value both ways depending on how you look at it. A team that trades for Jimmy Garappolo is getting a guy ready to step in and start from Day 1. He's already had the training and breaking in period and he's still really young. If you're looking to turn around a franchise faster, JG is a better bet than an unknown rookie. Especially if you're not picking #1 overall.

Just to clarify, Goff's deal is for $28M including signing bonus, not on top of that. That averages less than $7M a season, which ranked 27th in QB contracts at the start of the season just behind Chase Daniel. In a way, the signing bonus is irrelevant since the entire $28M is guaranteed.

Yes, just to clarify, the term "super cheap" for potential rookie QBs is meant as a comparison to the type of deal that Garoppolo would likely command (something in the 4/72 range that Osweiler got).

When you can have a younger QB coming out of college who is much cheaper and you're guaranteed to have his rights for the next 5 years (if you pick up the fifth yr option, of course), it's worth consideration. If anything, the argument becomes much stronger when you see guys like Prescott, Winston and Wentz doing well right out of the gate. The million dollar question would be whether or not an NFL GM would rather have Garoppolo at 18m a year or someone who's competed at a high level vs. good NCAA talent for 7m a year. I'm sure there will be interested parties, but there will also be plenty of other options, which was the point.

Even if you're okay with spending top dollar, there's still going to be other more proven and possibly more talented options like Kirk Cousins or Sam Bradford who will likely be available. In other words, what we think may initially be 4-6 interested teams may actually end up being 1-2 when the draft and free agency is taken into account. If a team is willing to trade multiple high round draft picks then I'd have to imagine that Belichick will jump at the opportunity; especially considering that he traded a guy like Drew Bledsoe inside of the division just to get a first rounder. I think Garoppolo should command a first round pick in trade compensation, but multiple high round draft picks may be a stretch due to other options and limited exposure for JG. We'll have to see how it all plays out.

Last edited:
I think the latter would be more realistic. As confident as I am in a strong Jimmy return, a top five pick seems unlikely. I think Bill would be thrilled to get a high #2 and a potentially high future #1.

Yes that's what I wasn't thinking just dawn a lot of people saying we could get the top 5 pick.

Yes that's what I wasn't thinking just dawn a lot of people saying we could get the top 5 pick.

Nobody would give a top 1-2 pick for Jimmy, unless they really thought poorly of the QBs in the draft. A team bad enough to have one would prefer the guy they could groom anyway.

Both parts of that argument lose force as the pick gets lower.

Nobody would give a top 1-2 pick for Jimmy, unless they really thought poorly of the QBs in the draft. A team bad enough to have one would prefer the guy they could groom anyway.

Both parts of that argument lose force as the pick gets lower.

I have to believe that Chicago would want a photogenic, hometown kid like Garoppolo to fill in for Jay Cutler. He already seems to be drawing the attention of Bears fans

Cardinals - Palmer done
Ravens - Flacco is a dinosaur who had one decent moment
Chiefs - Smith plays like a girl
Redskins - Cousins is a FA after the season and not the answer
Saints - could move on from Brees after 2017

the teams that completely suck should not bother
Well we dont have much of a farm left after the GM created so much dead money lol, but I think most Saints fans would love to score Jimmy for the next QB. I am wondering how he will react to having to put 30pts a game to win because the defense has been so useless under Brees. Jimmy has to even be willing to throw ints to keep the team in the game. We beat seatle, but they marched right down the field and only won because of time management, and Russell threw the ball to high. I think he would love the weapons , coach, and fans, but hes just going to be seen as a stat patter, like some see Brees, because he will be throwing the pig skin 40-50 x a game to keep up. Someone with a better D might be better for him and career. Like Chiefs, Bucs, Skins. I dont think BB wants him on the Ravens, and to tell you the truth I dont want a pretty good QB on the bucs, lol. But not sure we can afford him. I do think under payton he would have a brilliant career though, probably his best career numbers. SP is a very good offensive coach.

Last edited:
I have to believe that Chicago would want a photogenic, hometown kid like Garoppolo to fill in for Jay Cutler. He already seems to be drawing the attention of Bears fans

Works out on a contract level too. After this year, Cutler has pretty very little guaranteed money left - cutting him would free up $14M and leave only $2M dead cap.

Won't do anything for this year, but with the disappointment of the Collins trade, I'd be ecstatic if they used Garoppolo and some picks to move up and draft Myles Garrett.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore