PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scouting Report & Film Breakdown - Jimmy Garoppolo

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE-VT

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I found nice scouting report on Jimmy Garoppolo with GIF examples. This is done by an amateur scout, but (IMO) it accurately captures some of the reasons so many projected him as an above average starter and potential future star.

Frog's GIF Breakdowns: QB Jimmy Garoppolo • r/49ers

I think he already has shown more skills than a significant portion of current NFL starting QBs. Of course, he needs to show he can preform like this consistently.

I read this earlier this week, but I disagree with his ball placement critique. A couple of the passes seemed designed to be where only his guy could catch it -- and then a couple got away from him. It's an outlier, though, not a normal part of his overall throwing profile.

I should also mention that the OP is a noted Brady hater who will go to great lengths to defend Montana as far and away superior to Brady. I've pretty much written off most of his ramblings. ;)

2026.jpg

I read this earlier this week, but I disagree with his ball placement critique. A couple of the passes seemed designed to be where only his guy could catch it -- and then a couple got away from him. It's an outlier, though, not a normal part of his overall throwing profile.

I agree that the scout was overly critical on this point, for both reasons you describe (1. unclear intentions on some throws ; 2. overgeneralizing from outliers).

Here are a couple of examples your first point, with the scout's review:

He'll hit his receivers but force them to make difficult grabs.

In both cases, JG threw is away from the defender's leverage on purpose for ball security reasons. This seems like being overly safe, rather than a true miss. Brady does this same thing.

-------

The thing I like most about the review is the use of quick film clips to support the player evaluations. As someone who is trying at get better at QB scouting, I thought this was something to aspire to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes