PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Biggest Reason We Are Starting A Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the reasons we didn't win in 2015 & 2017 is because of such poor draft/personnel decisions that useless trash like Chris Harper & Jonny Badmostly had to play roles here way, Way, WAY above their pay grade...
2015 was an amazing team - IMO the best of the most recent success (2014-2018)... look at the injuries and it’s hard to imagine any team overcoming that. Even with all the IR’ed players, they had a shot on the last play of the AFCCG vs the eventual winners.

2015 had VG depth. But eventually; the sheer number of fallen stars was too much. That year had nothing to do w drafting. And, even in a “fail”, NE was closer in 2015 than ANY Luck-lead Indy team ever.

This thread makes me feel really sad... I know in hindsight everything looks different, but still not that many failures amongst players taken after our draft position which means our evaluation was a big failure. Its time for bill to own up to draft misses and hit the draft out of the park this year , else we might be looking at possibly few years wallowing in the bottom ala jetes.

Bill also does not seem to be himself with the excuses of cap which were to do with fact that our draft was such a miss for years that you had to use middling veterans to plug the gaps. Now with no Brady, no big name veterans would want to come here at a discount.so no more room to fail in draft.

Maybe this is how every other franchise felt. Unless we get a solid quarterback, we are pretty much done. And we cannot afford more Cyrus jones, jojuan, michel,harry, jordan Richards, Duke Dawson's... Too many whiffs.. unbelievablly bad... Add to the fact that cajuste and froholdt seem to be perennially injured along with Derek rivers who lost 3 seasons to injury, i think they need to rethink draft strategy . Can't redshirt rookies . Better to lose seasons and get the rookies experience than hoping them to become superstars in 4th year and then allow them to sign elsewhere as free agents . Ee got lucky with gronk but too many misses while taking players with injury history. Need to temper down on those risks. Need some fresh intelligent faces in the draft room . Can ee poach from Steelers?

Need to get at least 2 -3 seasons of productivity from first 3 rounders . Its been too many misses and it has to stop...
This thread does NOT make me sad. It makes me look back in wonder at how a team that won the SB in 2014-2016-2018 can be looked upon as a failure.

Even w/o the early Brady years SBs, this recent stretch alone is AMAZING and the 2014-2019 Patriots would rank as one of the best dynasties in League history even if that was the only span of NE success.

Awesome longevity. Awesome success.

The biggest reason we are using a reloading season is exactly what Bill said, they went all in on the last five years and they were flat broke this offseason.

The best GM's in the league hit on roughly 30% of their draft picks. The average NFL career lasts 3 years. A third of the league's players are UDFA's. The bulk of the Patriots team going forward will be players drafted over the last two years and next season. This roster isn't bereft of talent, they have a lot of young talent, they don't have a QB and that's one of the few positions you can't get by with crappy play.

This thread does NOT make me sad. It makes me look back in wonder at how a team that won the SB in 2014-2016-2018 can be looked upon as a failure.

Even w/o the early Brady years SBs, this recent stretch alone is AMAZING and the 2014-2019 Patriots would rank as one of the best dynasties in League history even if that was the only span of NE success.

Awesome longevity. Awesome success.
It was great while it lasted.. just don't want us to be like the jets or browns.. it just looks like we might go that path ...At least a middling season for the next few seasons while we steady ship would be great. But considering the talent we have it does look like a long haul and i have my doubts if bill would want to do a rebuild at this stage of his career. So maybe lot more years of below par mediocrity.

It was great while it lasted.. just don't want us to be like the jets or browns.. it just looks like we might go that path ...At least a middling season for the next few seasons while we steady ship would be great. But considering the talent we have it does look like a long haul and i have my doubts if bill would want to do a rebuild at this stage of his career. So maybe lot more years of below par mediocrity.
After MON night, it’s probable NE’s record will stand at 3-5. While horrendous, that is actually more wins in a 1/2 season than the NYJ & Browns have averaged in recent years.

The biggest reason we are using a reloading season is exactly what Bill said, they went all in on the last five years and they were flat broke this offseason.

The best GM's in the league hit on roughly 30% of their draft picks. The average NFL career lasts 3 years. A third of the league's players are UDFA's. The bulk of the Patriots team going forward will be players drafted over the last two years and next season. This roster isn't bereft of talent, they have a lot of young talent, they don't have a QB and that's one of the few positions you can't get by with crappy play.
I disagree. For Bill to say he went all in and sold out to win SB’s you got to look into it. Why did he have to go pick up A. Brown? Why did he trade a 2nd for Sanu? Why did we trade a 2nd for Kony Ealy in 2017 and then waive him. Picking up an ancient Michael Bennett and getting rid of him. We did a lot of these because we haven’t drafted well in years. Instead of having good players on their first contracts we made costly plays for vets

Bill also doesn’t mention he had the best QB of all time on very friendly deals. Imagine if Brady had demanded top dollar. In 20 seasons with the Pats Brady earned less than Rodgers has earned in 15 seasons with the Packers. Bill also doesn’t mention that part of this years cap trouble was J. Thuney. He could have resigned him or traded him before letting him get the costly franchise tag.

In terms of saying we have a lot of young talent I ask who? We have an empty cub board at WR right now. TE isn’t looking much better as both young guys can’t even get on the field. We are good on the o-line but will likely lose our best lineman Thuney next year. Harris looks good but RBs are a dime a dozen in the NFL. On D we got JC Jackson who looks good. Who else can we say is an impact young defender? And to top it all off we don’t have a QB. I’d say from here we have one of the least talented rosters of young players and it’s due in large to horrible drafting the last 7 years.

I’m just being realistic. I think Bill is one of the best roster builders ever. From 00-13 he was great. A few of those drafts are epic. Not so good since. We need the next few to be epic to get back to being a quality team. I hope he does it.

This thread makes me feel really sad... I know in hindsight everything looks different, but still not that many failures amongst players taken after our draft position which means our evaluation was a big failure. Its time for bill to own up to draft misses and hit the draft out of the park this year , else we might be looking at possibly few years wallowing in the bottom ala jetes.

Bill also does not seem to be himself with the excuses of cap which were to do with fact that our draft was such a miss for years that you had to use middling veterans to plug the gaps. Now with no Brady, no big name veterans would want to come here at a discount.so no more room to fail in draft.

Maybe this is how every other franchise felt. Unless we get a solid quarterback, we are pretty much done. And we cannot afford more Cyrus jones, jojuan, michel,harry, jordan Richards, Duke Dawson's... Too many whiffs.. unbelievablly bad... Add to the fact that cajuste and froholdt seem to be perennially injured along with Derek rivers who lost 3 seasons to injury, i think they need to rethink draft strategy . Can't redshirt rookies . Better to lose seasons and get the rookies experience than hoping them to become superstars in 4th year and then allow them to sign elsewhere as free agents . Ee got lucky with gronk but too many misses while taking players with injury history. Need to temper down on those risks. Need some fresh intelligent faces in the draft room . Can ee poach from Steelers?

Need to get at least 2 -3 seasons of productivity from first 3 rounders . Its been too many misses and it has to stop...
And what a you suggesting?

This is a barren roster and will get worse (20 free agents in March 2021). Belichick will probably
keep them from striking bottom. Getting back on top will be difficult without the GOAT. I wish
our scouting department knew its behind from its elbow when drafting wide receivers.

After MON night, it’s probable NE’s record will stand at 3-5. While horrendous, that is actually more wins in a 1/2 season than the NYJ & Browns have averaged in recent years.

i am extremely hopeful we are 2 and 6 after the Jets game.

no one likes losing, but what is best for the team? Lawrence!

Atlanta, Houston, the giants and the Vikings won today, all we have to do is keep losing!

a loss tomorrow and we would be at pick number 6, maybe 5 if the chargers somehow win.

I am keeping my fingers crossed, the auburn turnover machines can keep the turnovers coming!

i am extremely hopeful we are 2 and 6 after the Jets game.

no one likes losing, but what is best for the team? Lawrence!

Atlanta, Houston, the giants and the Vikings won today, all we have to do is keep losing!

a loss tomorrow and we would be at pick number 6, maybe 5 if the chargers somehow win.

I am keeping my fingers crossed, the auburn turnover machines can keep the turnovers coming!
Definitely with you. 2-14 will atleast put us in the top 3 hopefully number 1. All in on Trevor.

I hate the idea of tanking. I'd rather lose going all out. Tomorrow isn't promised for anyone. I'd like to look towards the future without completely abandoning the present.

But the reason we are in a rebuild isn't because of the offense imo. Our run defense is completely unacceptable. The staple of any good defense is a good powerful dline. We need more fat and less of Bentley lol.

I hate the idea of tanking. I'd rather lose going all out. Tomorrow isn't promised for anyone. I'd like to look towards the future without completely abandoning the present.

But the reason we are in a rebuild isn't because of the offense imo. Our run defense is completely unacceptable. The staple of any good defense is a good powerful dline. We need more fat and less of Bentley lol.

not is so hard to draft quality defensive linemen when we keep wasting second round picks in questionable defensive backs!

I think it is clear that the past 4 drafts have not been good enough. Patriots need to do a better job of getting talent through the draft.

As for tanking, what the faulk? We have half a season of football to play, I want to see competition. Bunch of spoiled pink hats on this board.

I disagree. For Bill to say he went all in and sold out to win SB’s you got to look into it. Why did he have to go pick up A. Brown? Why did he trade a 2nd for Sanu? Why did we trade a 2nd for Kony Ealy in 2017 and then waive him. Picking up an ancient Michael Bennett and getting rid of him. We did a lot of these because we haven’t drafted well in years. Instead of having good players on their first contracts we made costly plays for vets

Bill also doesn’t mention he had the best QB of all time on very friendly deals. Imagine if Brady had demanded top dollar. In 20 seasons with the Pats Brady earned less than Rodgers has earned in 15 seasons with the Packers. Bill also doesn’t mention that part of this years cap trouble was J. Thuney. He could have resigned him or traded him before letting him get the costly franchise tag.

In terms of saying we have a lot of young talent I ask who? We have an empty cub board at WR right now. TE isn’t looking much better as both young guys can’t even get on the field. We are good on the o-line but will likely lose our best lineman Thuney next year. Harris looks good but RBs are a dime a dozen in the NFL. On D we got JC Jackson who looks good. Who else can we say is an impact young defender? And to top it all off we don’t have a QB. I’d say from here we have one of the least talented rosters of young players and it’s due in large to horrible drafting the last 7 years.

I’m just being realistic. I think Bill is one of the best roster builders ever. From 00-13 he was great. A few of those drafts are epic. Not so good since. We need the next few to be epic to get back to being a quality team. I hope he does it.
This is exactly what I have been saying for a while now. These bad drafts and personnel moves were going to catch up with us and they sure did. I know some people like to pound the table and scream "Super Bowls!!" but that isn't even the discussion. The discussion is why are we now rebuilding? We are rebuilding because while we had Brady playing at a high level the team around him started to get worse and worse. It got so bad to the point where some questioned whether it was Brady himself, which last night's game aside, Brady has been excellent while this roster has shown that it is one of the most talent deficient from top to bottom. People seem to be saying well the team had success to that means that Bill was successful as a GM in this stretch but these things don't happen overnight. Every GM will have a bad draft or make some questionable trades/signings but when strung together year after year the wheels are going to fall off at some point if you don't replenish the talent pool.

And what a you suggesting?
I can't speak for the poster, but I know what I'm suggesting: Bill should have his Draft Weekend privileges removed...Immediately...and someone from OUTSIDE the building be brought in to begin a COMPLETE OVERHAUL of the amateur scouting department.

I completely agree with the bolded...But our TEs & WRs are also The Worst in NFL History.

I think it is clear that the past 4 drafts have not been good enough. Patriots need to do a better job of getting talent through the draft.

As for tanking, what the faulk? We have half a season of football to play, I want to see competition. Bunch of spoiled pink hats on this board.
Nope, just realists...This season is Over; it's now time to look towards the Future...towards Trevor...

You say "look into it" but really haven't have you? They got Antonio Brown and Sanu because Tommy was lobbying for veteran receiving weapons. AB, fine I can understand, he is one of the more talented WR's in the NFL but a head case, Sanu? Jakobi Meyers caught 11 passes when he was asked to play midseason against the Jets and Giants, at one point he caught 9 straight targets. When they got Sanu Tom ripped Meyers on field against the Browns and Jakobi didn't play for the next two games. They gave Gunner the Foxboro flu to wedge Sanu on the roster and they needed him to return punts where he inevitably got hurt. Bruce Arians didn't want AB, he ended up with him anyway because coaches bend to the wishes of their star QB, the smarter thing would have been if Tom just trained and practiced with the young guys and taught them how he wanted it done from the start. Jakobi is a young Sanu, they could be brothers. Gunner has similar athleticism to Amendola. Neither is amazing, either could have been serviceable.

And let me put this here so some other crackpot doesn't repeat it as truth. The Patriots didn't trade a 2nd for Kony Ealy! The Patriots sent their second-round pick (No. 64 overall) to Carolina for Ealy and got the Panthers’ third-round pick (No. 72 overall) in return. That means the Patriots barely moved down in the draft and got him for what amounts to a 6th round pick in compensation. Just like the larger cap spending understanding over the last five years here, the moaners here simply don't understand it.

The last five years the Pats have had the best defense, special teams, offensive line and some good weapons... these guys didn't play for free. Gilmore reworked his deal twice in in the two years prior to 2020 to give the Pats more cap space, it pushed more cap money down the road so they could sign players. Brady and Gronk were signed to deals which had them paid through incentives because the team was mortgaged to the hilt.

The Patriots have one of the best offensive lines and defensive backfields in the league, and will again next year. They have young talent everywhere on this roster who the Negative Nancy's are writing off as "busts." Considering most of these same posters were crying "no talent" and "bad drafts" in the midst of unprecedented winning, I didn't expect it to get better now in what is a reloading year. We never have talent, that's what this crowd has said in 2014, 2016 and 2018... why would we have talent now?

Take your antidepressants or go out and get some sunshine, add a great QB prospect to this roster and immediately they're competitive again... they'd be that now if Cam paid off as a long shot, oh well. We have to wait a season. Many Patriots fans are entitled, a few of us have still kept our heads. In BB We Trust... or you should.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey