PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Idle thoughts- the "how are you feeling so far" edition

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing organized today people. Just a loose amalgamation of disjointed thoughts and observations from yesterday's game after I got to go over it again this morning. I think I spent most of my time trying to look very closely at the OL and figuring out exactly why it looked so leaky both against the pass AND the run. In brief, my initial impression was that DeForrest Buckner is one HELL of a football player. He literally was often a one man wrecking ball and the kind of player I'm HOPING Chris Barmore will eventually become.

I have been VERY loathe to put any blame on the offensive coaching thus far this year. But in game 9 it is getting REALLY hard not to look a guys on the OL AND QB who are simply not progressing. Cole Strange for example, graded out VERY well in his first 7 games, the last 2, not so much. WHY did that happen? Was it because of the quality of the opponent OR a regression of technique and concentration? It is always hard to isolate OL and DL stuff from the network feed. All you get are glimpses and vague impressions of what's going on, so it isn't easy, for me at least, to assign blame, especially without knowing the blocking assignments and adjustments they are supposed to make.

But that being said you don't have to be a football savant to tell that it DIDN'T go well. I'm actually GLAD they pulled Strange. Good to hold a player accountable. His hands to the face penalty was just lazy technique and fully avoidable. NOT acceptable for a player with that skill level. And before the rants arise that Cole is "a bust" of a first round pick, just remember Sunday was a "snapshot" not a portrait. Prior to this 2 game stretch he was "grading" out as a top 10 OG as a rookie. Now lets see how he responds to this adversity, because that is the true test of a great talent.

As for Isaiah Wynn, I'm not sure he really WANTS to play football anymore. And football is a very tough game to play and practice when you don't LOVE it. Maybe he just can't seem to adjust to the move to RT. But my prediction is that, I'd be surprised to see him still in the league for the 2024 or 25 season. I see him signing elsewhere and playing decently next year, just like he did his rookie year, and then get worse and worse for the next couple of years before he takes his money and leaves. Just an impression and one I didn't have before the start of the year AND one that I may regret. Right now he looks like a tease always flashing strong play, but never consistently and I believe that more of a "mental" issue. Does he really WANT to be great or is he just going through the motions.

But back to the coaching. Its OBVIOUSLY not been effective on the offensive side Now during the great run we had, the ONE great constant was that the team would seem to get better as a group, as the season went along. Last season that wasn't the case. Hopefully it WILL be this season and in my opinion is all going to depend on the coaching side of the game to get there.

The effects of perception; Mac threw for 147 passing yards yet is being universally derided, while on the OTHER hand Zack Wilson is being universally praised for throwing for exactly SEVEN yards more. Both had 1 TD and zero picks. Mac was sacked 4 times while Wilson was sacked only twice. Wilson also had 25 yds rushing. But the point here is that game to game perception will ALWAYS be subject to change, especially these days.

It was the Jets D and some very sloppy play by Allen that allowed the Jets to sneak by the Bills Sunday, But in MOST towns, a W will raise all boats....just not HERE. :rolleyes: But I credit the fact that Boston sports fans are smarter than you average fan and hold their teams and their individual players more accountable.....even when it ISN'T always fair.

Here's what I see is real problem. For whatever reason (and there has been a bunch of them) the events of this season have conspired to rip the cloak of confidence off of Mac Jones. Just look at the number of tight window throws Mac made last season. Maybe it was blissful ignorance, but last season, we all got the impression that Mac was going out there and just "slinging it". Now.....not so much.

Understand that if you add just a HALF second hesitation you can turn a positive play into a negative one. This isn't about "happy feet", or being scared, IMHO this is about just that half second between "just slinging it" instead of "oh, I've GOT to be sure before I throw this". Now I'm hoping that having a clean game like Sunday will be the first step in him being more decisive and getting back to "just slinging it". You CANNOT be afraid to throw a pick. Tom Brady has had over 200. But you don't get a lot of those "chunk plays" by being afraid to "throw a guy open", or "trust your receiver to make a play", etc

BTW- the Pats catch NO breaks with the schedule this year. While they have had to play against a couple of teams coming off a bye, they won't against the Jets who also have a week 10 bye, and THEN have to take a short week vs the Vikes ON THE ROAD, which, BTW is the most egregious scheduling DISADVANTAGE the NFL continues to do each year. Really unfair to all the teams who have to undergo this. IIRC the winning percentage for home teams for Thursday night games is MUCH higher than for regular home games.

A few words about the defense; The Pats LEAD the NFL in give aways. Thank GOD we also lead the league in TAKE aways. Its a credit to the defense AND their coaches. Granted these last 2 game were against 2 offenses that aren't good, you still have to go out and play against them. The Jets were much more able to run the ball against the Bills than they were against us.

Judon, is the gift that keeps on giving and a bargain at the price. Now he occasionally DOES incur my ire when he races past the QB drop and opens up a lane, but he has been solid against the run and a constant threat on about EVERY pass play. What I really like is how the coaching staff is finding ways to scheme if free on occasion, rather than just leave him out there to be double teamed every play. Judon has added a strong inside move this year, and a couple of times when I've seen him use it, there has always been an ILB or S in play to his outside to keep contain. Very subtle and really good coaching and he'd doing it while playing about 10% FEWER snaps.

Josh Uche - Now THIS was the kind of game we all envisioned when he we drafted him. I loved his patience and disciple on his rushes. For the most part he kept his contain responsibilities but still brought pressure and as a bonus was solid against the run. IIRC, he still only played 24 snaps, so not exactly a 3 down player, but FINALLY we might have a semi-legitimate rush threat opposite Matt Judon.

In Peter King's Monday column he highlighted a Jets edge rusher Bryce Huff. Huff is a fast undersized edge rusher who, very much like Uche is a situational edge rusher who gets around 20 snaps a game. In his 3rd year the key to his success is how fast he accelerates off the LOS on the snap. Supposedly he's the fastest in the league at this. And it reminded me of a belief I have long felt about the game.

Now I have ALWAYS believed that too many players don't get off the ball quick enough along the DL. I believe that if Bill hired me just for TC, I'd have all his DLman and edge rushers getting off the ball quicker (it CAN be taught and improved on) This is really a pet peeve of mine. I was a successful 200lb NT in college for a year ONLY because I could beat EVERYONE off the LOS. And not because I was some amazingly gifted athlete, but because I worked HARD at it. Because if I hadn't, I would have been CRUSHED (though it is a fact that the older I get, the better athlete I become in the telling. ;) ) When you get a chance watched the DL and see how many DLmen are late off the ball. It will shock you at this level.

Also some kudos to Bentley and Tavaii. Bentley has been very quietly effective both as an ILB and OLB on occasions A really solid guy to replace Hightower. Tavaii was a guy I couldn't figure WHY he made the 53 Now he is on the field FAR more than I expected and taking away snaps from guys like McMillan and Wilson who I figured with be the guys getting regular snaps at ILB. Interesting.how you never can predict.

The secondary has been OUTSTANDING. Over the last few weeks, VERY few open receivers to be seen, whether in Zone or Man coverages.
STILL , I worry about the size differential we are facing each week. Most of the time they overcome it, but will it hold up? All you can say is, so far so REALLY good.

Special Teams - That's another area where we have excelled. Last year there was a lot of noise condemning Achord for ST's play. As of today, with the exception of a REALLY bad punting day by Bailey, ST's play has been stunningly good. Nice to have a guy who can kick 60yd FG's, better to have one who is over 90% inside the 50. Unfortunately Folk's getting TOO many opportunities to show just how good he is.

BTW- you can't help but notice that Brendon Schooler is ALWAYS the first man on the scene for every punt and KO. Did you know that he ran a 6.7 second 3-cone and a 4.4 forty. I didn't know that before it popped up on a link about him. Given the kid's intensity I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some S run a few years from now. Slater now has a true believer to follow him. Also it should be noted that Slater is a very close 2nd to Schooler on punt coverage, even at this late stage of his career.

David Andrews is perhaps the most important man on the Pats OL - And for that reason, I expect to see a BIG improvement on the OL with Andrews back in there. Solidifying that key position will make everyone better. I know there will be several who want to believe that who you are playing next to, has nothing to do with how YOU are doing along the OL. But the fact is, it does. Ferrentz may be a tryer, he isn't very effective. So if you are worried about immediate pressure to your inside, then it will affect how you block on your outside.

Now to the receivers. We need to threaten the deep seams more with our TE's and slot receivers. Maybe I'm not seeing it, but if the throw to Henry for close to 30yds should tell us, is that is what you NEED to throw against cover 2. Having it just makes all the throws underneath just SO much easier.

No one really shined in this one. How could they with only 147 yds ti share. Davonte Adams got more than that by himself and his team LOST!. There IS one pattern that I have annually wondered why we don't put in use more often. Remember despite his quickness, Wes Welker had only 4.6 speed (if that), but he got open deep several times using this route. Now our midgets slots, from Welker to Amendola to Edelman use to make a living in the 2nd level underneath S's and squeezing between the LB's. What got Welker open deep was running an underneath crosser and then BREAK up into the seam. I don't seem to have seen this particular route much SINCE Welker and I think it would be effective for guys like Bourne and Meyers. just sayin'

Could be that there will be a plethora of offensive coaching talent available next season. Reich, BOB, and maybe even a 3rd return of the Josh? :eek: It WILL be an constant talking point this off season. Speaking of Reich, I can't tell you how happy it makes me feel seeing the HAPLESS Colts wave the white flag to ANOTHER season. Ever in my top 5 teams I hate, too much badness can't happen to those hypocritical phonies in the heartland. Having them name Jeff Saturday as HC makes me even happier. Saturday was a very good C back in the day and an entertaining ESPN analyst. No question he knows the game, but his COACHING qualifications start and end as an assistant HS coach. Irsay has said ONE smart thing (his Snyder comments) in 3 decades he's owned the team. This move just adds to his infamy. Just add this to ANOTHER NFL team that are going in the tank.

Perhaps One big solution to the Tanking epidemic would be to do a serpentine draft were the bad teams WOULD get the earlier picks in the first round, but in the 2nd round it would reverse and so on through the rounds, so the best teams would pick first in the 2nd, 4th, and 6th rounds. Good to give bad teams a boost in the first round, but not punish success ALL through the draft. just sayin'.

Anyone know if Ty Montgomery is ever going to be back this season. I know Stevenson has been great as a receiving back, but I don't want to burn the kid out early. He IS a great talent, but I would rather hold his touches back to around 15-18 during the regular season, so there would be room for more in the playoffs.
Montgomery was looking like he would be a great fall back after JWhite retired. So what's the story?

So now we have 2 weeks to complain WITHOUT the relief of a game to slack our thirst. Going to be hard to deal with the rants, accusations,, and claims though until the Jets pop back up on the radar. I wonder who will be the favorites going into THAT game.

OK, please add your comments, and continue the discussion on any of the topics I raised. Always more fun when you do that.

As for Isaiah Wynn, I'm not sure he really WANTS to play football anymore. And football is a very tough game to play and practice when you don't LOVE it. Maybe he just can't seem to adjust to the move to RT. But my prediction is that, I'd be surprised to see him still in the league for the 2024 or 25 season. I see him signing elsewhere and playing decently next year, just like he did his rookie year, and then get worse and worse for the next couple of years before he takes his money and leaves. Just an impression and one I didn't have before the start of the year AND one that I may regret. Right now he looks like a tease always flashing strong play, but never consistently and I believe that more of a "mental" issue. Does he really WANT to be great or is he just going through the motions.
I think a key issue with Wynn is that he's resentful of being asked to move to a position he's not comfortable with, causing him to get eviscerated with criticism that will likely hurt him when he becomes a free agent. This whole stint hasn't done much in terms of his value, albeit he was inconsistent when he was on the left side, so it's tough to say how things would have been had he stayed there. Either way, if he was hoping to cash in, that obviously isn't going well. Someone will definitely take a shot at him given how important tackles are in this league but judging by his press conferences, I think he's tired of being criticized for playing a position he knows he's not great at and didn't ask to play.

Definitely turned out to be a less-than-ideal situation and it's obviously one of several factors contributing to their issues on offense.

I have been VERY loathe to put any blame on the offensive coaching thus far this year. But in game 9 it is getting REALLY hard not to look a guys on the OL AND QB who are simply not progressing. Cole Strange for example, graded out VERY well in his first 7 games, the last 2, not so much. WHY did that happen? Was it because of the quality of the opponent OR a regression of technique and concentration? It is always hard to isolate OL and DL stuff from the network feed. All you get are glimpses and vague impressions of what's going on, so it isn't easy, for me at least, to assign blame, especially without knowing the blocking assignments and adjustments they are supposed to make.

But that being said you don't have to be a football savant to tell that it DIDN'T go well. I'm actually GLAD they pulled Strange. Good to hold a player accountable. His hands to the face penalty was just lazy technique and fully avoidable. NOT acceptable for a player with that skill level. And before the rants arise that Cole is "a bust" of a first round pick, just remember Sunday was a "snapshot" not a portrait. Prior to this 2 game stretch he was "grading" out as a top 10 OG as a rookie. Now lets see how he responds to this adversity, because that is the true test of a great talent.

But back to the coaching. Its OBVIOUSLY not been effective on the offensive side Now during the great run we had, the ONE great constant was that the team would seem to get better as a group, as the season went along. Last season that wasn't the case. Hopefully it WILL be this season and in my opinion is all going to depend on the coaching side of the game to get there.

A few words about the defense; The Pats LEAD the NFL in give aways. Thank GOD we also lead the league in TAKE aways. Its a credit to the defense AND their coaches. Granted these last 2 game were against 2 offenses that aren't good, you still have to go out and play against them. The Jets were much more able to run the ball against the Bills than they were against us.

Judon, is the gift that keeps on giving and a bargain at the price. Now he occasionally DOES incur my ire when he races past the QB drop and opens up a lane, but he has been solid against the run and a constant threat on about EVERY pass play. What I really like is how the coaching staff is finding ways to scheme if free on occasion, rather than just leave him out there to be double teamed every play. Judon has added a strong inside move this year, and a couple of times when I've seen him use it, there has always been an ILB or S in play to his outside to keep contain. Very subtle and really good coaching and he'd doing it while playing about 10% FEWER snaps.

Josh Uche - Now THIS was the kind of game we all envisioned when he we drafted him. I loved his patience and disciple on his rushes. For the most part he kept his contain responsibilities but still brought pressure and as a bonus was solid against the run. IIRC, he still only played 24 snaps, so not exactly a 3 down player, but FINALLY we might have a semi-legitimate rush threat opposite Matt Judon.

In Peter King's Monday column he highlighted a Jets edge rusher Bryce Huff. Huff is a fast undersized edge rusher who, very much like Uche is a situational edge rusher who gets around 20 snaps a game. In his 3rd year the key to his success is how fast he accelerates off the LOS on the snap. Supposedly he's the fastest in the league at this. And it reminded me of a belief I have long felt about the game.

Now I have ALWAYS believed that too many players don't get off the ball quick enough along the DL. I believe that if Bill hired me just for TC, I'd have all his DLman and edge rushers getting off the ball quicker (it CAN be taught and improved on) This is really a pet peeve of mine. I was a successful 200lb NT in college for a year ONLY because I could beat EVERYONE off the LOS. And not because I was some amazingly gifted athlete, but because I worked HARD at it. Because if I hadn't, I would have been CRUSHED (though it is a fact that the older I get, the better athlete I become in the telling. ;) ) When you get a chance watched the DL and see how many DLmen are late off the ball. It will shock you at this level.

Also some kudos to Bentley and Tavaii. Bentley has been very quietly effective both as an ILB and OLB on occasions A really solid guy to replace Hightower. Tavaii was a guy I couldn't figure WHY he made the 53 Now he is on the field FAR more than I expected and taking away snaps from guys like McMillan and Wilson who I figured with be the guys getting regular snaps at ILB. Interesting.how you never can predict.

The secondary has been OUTSTANDING. Over the last few weeks, VERY few open receivers to be seen, whether in Zone or Man coverages.
STILL , I worry about the size differential we are facing each week. Most of the time they overcome it, but will it hold up? All you can say is, so far so REALLY good.

Special Teams - That's another area where we have excelled. Last year there was a lot of noise condemning Achord for ST's play. As of today, with the exception of a REALLY bad punting day by Bailey, ST's play has been stunningly good. Nice to have a guy who can kick 60yd FG's, better to have one who is over 90% inside the 50. Unfortunately Folk's getting TOO many opportunities to show just how good he is.

BTW- you can't help but notice that Brendon Schooler is ALWAYS the first man on the scene for every punt and KO. Did you know that he ran a 6.7 second 3-cone and a 4.4 forty. I didn't know that before it popped up on a link about him. Given the kid's intensity I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some S run a few years from now. Slater now has a true believer to follow him. Also it should be noted that Slater is a very close 2nd to Schooler on punt coverage, even at this late stage of his career.

David Andrews is perhaps the most important man on the Pats OL - And for that reason, I expect to see a BIG improvement on the OL with Andrews back in there. Solidifying that key position will make everyone better. I know there will be several who want to believe that who you are playing next to, has nothing to do with how YOU are doing along the OL. But the fact is, it does. Ferrentz may be a tryer, he isn't very effective. So if you are worried about immediate pressure to your inside, then it will affect how you block on your outside.

Now to the receivers. We need to threaten the deep seams more with our TE's and slot receivers. Maybe I'm not seeing it, but if the throw to Henry for close to 30yds should tell us, is that is what you NEED to throw against cover 2. Having it just makes all the throws underneath just SO much easier.

No one really shined in this one. How could they with only 147 yds ti share. Davonte Adams got more than that by himself and his team LOST!. There IS one pattern that I have annually wondered why we don't put in use more often. Remember despite his quickness, Wes Welker had only 4.6 speed (if that), but he got open deep several times using this route. Now our midgets slots, from Welker to Amendola to Edelman use to make a living in the 2nd level underneath S's and squeezing between the LB's. What got Welker open deep was running an underneath crosser and then BREAK up into the seam. I don't seem to have seen this particular route much SINCE Welker and I think it would be effective for guys like Bourne and Meyers. just sayin'

Could be that there will be a plethora of offensive coaching talent available next season. Reich, BOB, and maybe even a 3rd return of the Josh? :eek: It WILL be an constant talking point this off season. Speaking of Reich, I can't tell you how happy it makes me feel seeing the HAPLESS Colts wave the white flag to ANOTHER season. Ever in my top 5 teams I hate, too much badness can't happen to those hypocritical phonies in the heartland. Having them name Jeff Saturday as HC makes me even happier. Saturday was a very good C back in the day and an entertaining ESPN analyst. No question he knows the game, but his COACHING qualifications start and end as an assistant HS coach. Irsay has said ONE smart thing (his Snyder comments) in 3 decades he's owned the team. This move just adds to his infamy. Just add this to ANOTHER NFL team that are going in the tank.

Perhaps One big solution to the Tanking epidemic would be to do a serpentine draft were the bad teams WOULD get the earlier picks in the first round, but in the 2nd round it would reverse and so on through the rounds, so the best teams would pick first in the 2nd, 4th, and 6th rounds. Good to give bad teams a boost in the first round, but not punish success ALL through the draft. just sayin'.

Anyone know if Ty Montgomery is ever going to be back this season. I know Stevenson has been great as a receiving back, but I don't want to burn the kid out early. He IS a great talent, but I would rather hold his touches back to around 15-18 during the regular season, so there would be room for more in the playoffs.
Montgomery was looking like he would be a great fall back after JWhite retired. So what's the story?

So now we have 2 weeks to complain WITHOUT the relief of a game to slack our thirst. Going to be hard to deal with the rants, accusations,, and claims though until the Jets pop back up on the radar. I wonder who will be the favorites going into THAT game.

OK, please add your comments, and continue the discussion on any of the topics I raised. Always more fun when you do that.

I find it interesting at the end of last year we felt we were headed in the right direction on offense just needed a piece or two, but defense everyone was screaming about the loss of JC. We needed someone to shore up the Dline our secondary was toast.

Just caught an interesting post on one of the sites that shows the Pats defense is rated number one right now and I know this may or may not hold up. Everyone also points to we played weak teams well those weak teams such as Chicago put up 32 points this past week and the lowly Jets beat Buffalo there were examples of this all around the NFL this week. I think we have a decent defense right now next year I would love to see them spend a couple of early picks on the OL even if they double up to try and hit a home run. I know they will address other areas, but there is FA to look at as well.

Thank you PatfanKen for your insightful posts each time and I enjoy how you can look at the team's play and not assign blame, but look for breakdowns and areas to shore up. You are a real gift to the board.

Take care and good luck at the tables next game.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
Cole Strange for example, graded out VERY well in his first 7 games, the last 2, not so much. WHY did that happen?

No Andrews, and for the last two games he was up against Quinnen Williams (defensive player of the month) and then Buckner.
I assume he'll be better next year after he has bulked up a bit.

The defense has been the bright spot of this team, even though they have struggled a couple games.

Judon could be the DPOY

The offense with Mac is a disaster & I like Mac.

The offense looks better with Zappe, but I think the coaches are easier on Zappe and
The play calling favors Zappe

Last edited:
N.

Strange will be fine. He played much better with Andrews at center. Sure, it would help to have an actual coach to help develop the rookie. But the situation is what it is.

I strongly disagree with regard to Wynn. A player enters his 5th year and has been an OK LT and LG, perhaps below average for starters. Our OL was a top 10 OL in 2021 with Wynn at LT. Yes, Wynn was the weak link.

The coaching staff changes the offensive schemes and asks Wynn to switch positions. These change the subject of the camps and the pre-season. It was clear the Wynn just isn't a competent RT. Why not make him a TE or a DT? So, maybe Wynn doesn't want to play football FOR THE PATRIOTS! Do you blame him? By moving him to a position he can't play, the team cost Wynn millions, and perhaps cost the team a couple of games. Even a below average OT makes a good living. However, Wynn isn't giving up his career because of the clear mismanagement and negligence of the patriots coaching staff.
=================
Will there be better coaching talent available in the offseason? Is this really a question? Is there really a better OC than Patricia out there? Is there a better offensive line coach? Is there a better QB coach than Judge? The bar is very, very low.

Heck, I think that they should consider hiring a consultant on Offense NOW on a 6-month contract.
===========
AND
Let's not let the GM off the hook. The plans for the Offense were developed and tested over many months. And then the team played the extension of the preseason (first 4 games). It isn't hindsight to suggest that the GM should have had metrics on how to judge whether the new systems (and personnel positions) were working, and something need to be done after four weeks.
============
AND HERE WE ARE!
Because the Defense and Special Teams have been so extraordinary, the team is 5-4 and has a decent shot at the playoffs. As with several other teams, if we play well in the stretch, we will likely be in playoffs.

HOWEVER, changes need to be made. One can only hope that moving Wynn to the left side was the first step. Sure, I wanted us to bring in veteran OL backups, but the reality is that this line can be a top 10 OL. And it hurts greatly to say "could be" considering that the talent is better than in 2021 when our OL was indeed a top 10 OL. We can win with Brown-Strange-Andrews-Onwenu-Cajuste (Wynn, Ferentz).
============
A LAST POINT
We had a top OL. We had two WR's who each had just under 1000 yards. We added Parker and Thornton.. We had a top rookie QB. How could this go so wrong when our Defense and Special Teams have played lights out?

its interesting that with this years D-Performance no ****ting on Belichick junior is to be seen by anybody anymore unlike end of last year
though with mobile QBs they still have issues, but with Dugger and Barmore coming back I think that will be better (in case the D-scheme fits the opposing QB)

on the O-side its a mess, self-inflicted mess and a lot to be questioned with coaching there, Mac does not look good, OL struggles as well, but my feeling is that coaching does not really help, it actually hurts them more, play to the strength of your players, play unpredictable so actually opposite of what the O is doing, I really hope for a QB whisperer OC next year, put Patricia back somewhere cleaning the buffet

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back