PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Biggest Reason We Are Starting A Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, just realists...This season is Over; it's now time to look towards the Future...towards Trevor...
But that doesn't guarantee future winning. Live in the moment and enjoy what you can. We get so little football, I'd rather take the little wins.

Just throwing in the towel means you cannot derive any enjoyment from the game itself, what's the point in that type of Fandom?

I remember cheering first downs because the patriots were so ba. Some people need to recalibrate their expectations. Tom Brady is not walking through that door and the roster lacks talent...1 good draft or even 3 good drafts may not fix it. You are gonna have to deal or leave.

You say "look into it" but really haven't have you? They got Antonio Brown and Sanu because Tommy was lobbying for veteran receiving weapons. AB, fine I can understand, he is one of the more talented WR's in the NFL but a head case, Sanu? Jakobi Meyers caught 11 passes when he was asked to play midseason against the Jets and Giants, at one point he caught 9 straight targets. When they got Sanu Tom ripped Meyers on field against the Browns and Jakobi didn't play for the next two games. They gave Gunner the Foxboro flu to wedge Sanu on the roster and they needed him to return punts where he inevitably got hurt. Bruce Arians didn't want AB, he ended up with him anyway because coaches bend to the wishes of their star QB, the smarter thing would have been if Tom just trained and practiced with the young guys and taught them how he wanted it done from the start. Jakobi is a young Sanu, they could be brothers. Gunner has similar athleticism to Amendola. Neither is amazing, either could have been serviceable.

And let me put this here so some other crackpot doesn't repeat it as truth. The Patriots didn't trade a 2nd for Kony Ealy! The Patriots sent their second-round pick (No. 64 overall) to Carolina for Ealy and got the Panthers’ third-round pick (No. 72 overall) in return. That means the Patriots barely moved down in the draft and got him for what amounts to a 6th round pick in compensation. Just like the larger cap spending understanding over the last five years here, the moaners here simply don't understand it.

The last five years the Pats have had the best defense, special teams, offensive line and some good weapons... these guys didn't play for free. Gilmore reworked his deal twice in in the two years prior to 2020 to give the Pats more cap space, it pushed more cap money down the road so they could sign players. Brady and Gronk were signed to deals which had them paid through incentives because the team was mortgaged to the hilt.

The Patriots have one of the best offensive lines and defensive backfields in the league, and will again next year. They have young talent everywhere on this roster who the Negative Nancy's are writing off as "busts." Considering most of these same posters were crying "no talent" and "bad drafts" in the midst of unprecedented winning, I didn't expect it to get better now in what is a reloading year. We never have talent, that's what this crowd has said in 2014, 2016 and 2018... why would we have talent now?

Take your antidepressants or go out and get some sunshine, add a great QB prospect to this roster and immediately they're competitive again... they'd be that now if Cam paid off as a long shot, oh well. We have to wait a season. Many Patriots fans are entitled, a few of us have still kept our heads. In BB We Trust... or you should.
And for the 100th time, who's fault is it that Bill had to trade for Sanu and sign AB? Blame Brady all you want but in the end of the day Bill calls the shots. If Bill could draft a receiver he wouldn't be making desperation moves like he did last year. As for your point about Meyers why didn't he see the field this year until absolutely necessary? Can't blame Brady for him being buried on the depth chart. Gunner has "similar athleticism" to Amendola? And Harry has "similar athleticism" to Michael Thomas and look how that is working out so I am not sure what that has to do with anything. If Gunner cant get involved in the passing game with our top two receivers out and one active TE then I don't know if it is going to happen.

Kony Ealy didn't cost them a fortune but it was one of the many whiffs by Bill in the last few years. He brought in, and to an extent was set to rely on a malcontent whom he cut in camp. Sounds pretty similar to Michael Bennet who is currently eating up $2 million on the cap after Bill decided to trade for him then rework his deal on top of it.

The rest of your post is your typical "every position is good" nonsense.

And for the 100th time, who's fault is it that Bill had to trade for Sanu and sign AB? Blame Brady all you want but in the end of the day Bill calls the shots. If Bill could draft a receiver he wouldn't be making desperation moves like he did last year. As for your point about Meyers why didn't he see the field this year until absolutely necessary? Can't blame Brady for him being buried on the depth chart. Gunner has "similar athleticism" to Amendola? And Harry has "similar athleticism" to Michael Thomas and look how that is working out so I am not sure what that has to do with anything. If Gunner cant get involved in the passing game with our top two receivers out and one active TE then I don't know if it is going to happen.

Kony Ealy didn't cost them a fortune but it was one of the many whiffs by Bill in the last few years. He brought in, and to an extent was set to rely on a malcontent whom he cut in camp. Sounds pretty similar to Michael Bennet who is currently eating up $2 million on the cap after Bill decided to trade for him then rework his deal on top of it.

The rest of your post is your typical "every position is good" nonsense.
BB didn't have to trade for anyone, he did it because he was giving Tom what he wanted. I don't remember a lot of handwringing when BB traded for AB. It only sucked because it didn't work, same as Bennett, not because the player was bad but because they were bad humans. Harry missed last year with injury, when he came back Brady was injured and not practicing... hard to build chemistry at that point. The starting three WR's being better is why Meyers wasn't playing, he is a good not great WR. Ealy cost them nothing, you said they wasted a 2nd... typical negative nancy hyperbole and declaring doom.

You say "look into it" but really haven't have you? They got Antonio Brown and Sanu because Tommy was lobbying for veteran receiving weapons. AB, fine I can understand, he is one of the more talented WR's in the NFL but a head case, Sanu? Jakobi Meyers caught 11 passes when he was asked to play midseason against the Jets and Giants, at one point he caught 9 straight targets. When they got Sanu Tom ripped Meyers on field against the Browns and Jakobi didn't play for the next two games. They gave Gunner the Foxboro flu to wedge Sanu on the roster and they needed him to return punts where he inevitably got hurt. Bruce Arians didn't want AB, he ended up with him anyway because coaches bend to the wishes of their star QB, the smarter thing would have been if Tom just trained and practiced with the young guys and taught them how he wanted it done from the start. Jakobi is a young Sanu, they could be brothers. Gunner has similar athleticism to Amendola. Neither is amazing, either could have been serviceable.

And let me put this here so some other crackpot doesn't repeat it as truth. The Patriots didn't trade a 2nd for Kony Ealy! The Patriots sent their second-round pick (No. 64 overall) to Carolina for Ealy and got the Panthers’ third-round pick (No. 72 overall) in return. That means the Patriots barely moved down in the draft and got him for what amounts to a 6th round pick in compensation. Just like the larger cap spending understanding over the last five years here, the moaners here simply don't understand it.

The last five years the Pats have had the best defense, special teams, offensive line and some good weapons... these guys didn't play for free. Gilmore reworked his deal twice in in the two years prior to 2020 to give the Pats more cap space, it pushed more cap money down the road so they could sign players. Brady and Gronk were signed to deals which had them paid through incentives because the team was mortgaged to the hilt.

The Patriots have one of the best offensive lines and defensive backfields in the league, and will again next year. They have young talent everywhere on this roster who the Negative Nancy's are writing off as "busts." Considering most of these same posters were crying "no talent" and "bad drafts" in the midst of unprecedented winning, I didn't expect it to get better now in what is a reloading year. We never have talent, that's what this crowd has said in 2014, 2016 and 2018... why would we have talent now?

Take your antidepressants or go out and get some sunshine, add a great QB prospect to this roster and immediately they're competitive again... they'd be that now if Cam paid off as a long shot, oh well. We have to wait a season. Many Patriots fans are entitled, a few of us have still kept our heads. In BB We Trust... or you should.
“Young talent everywhere on the roster”? Please tell us where. JC Jackson, Onwenu, Harris... who else? Who else has shown that they can be better than average?

BB didn't have to trade for anyone, he did it because he was giving Tom what he wanted. I don't remember a lot of handwringing when BB traded for AB. It only sucked because it didn't work, same as Bennett, not because the player was bad but because they were bad humans. Harry missed last year with injury, when he came back Brady was injured and not practicing... hard to build chemistry at that point. The starting three WR's being better is why Meyers wasn't playing, he is a good not great WR. Ealy cost them nothing, you said they wasted a 2nd... typical negative nancy hyperbole and declaring doom.
We haven’t drafted a WR who has worked out since Edelman in 09.

But that doesn't guarantee future winning. Live in the moment and enjoy what you can. We get so little football, I'd rather take the little wins.

Just throwing in the towel means you cannot derive any enjoyment from the game itself, what's the point in that type of Fandom?

I remember cheering first downs because the patriots were so ba. Some people need to recalibrate their expectations. Tom Brady is not walking through that door and the roster lacks talent...1 good draft or even 3 good drafts may not fix it. You are gonna have to deal or leave.
What makes you think that not "living in the moment" is what folks who think like me are doing? I am living in the moment and there is zero upside to winning more games this year long term. Thinking about the future doesn't make a person a bad fan. Just like you have zero right to tell someone to leave. Its complete BS on your part.

But the point is finishing in the middle of the pack only hurts our future. The Krafts will never allow this team to be a loser, especially long term. So no real need to get used to it. This year is what it is. From here on out it should be about next season. Get the young guys experience, see what you have. Hit FA hard, hopefully have a high draft pick, score some talent. And then start building version 3.

You can still enjoy the first downs. While acknowledging the team needs an overhaul at several key positions. QB is number one on that list.

Bill is wholly unqualified to conduct a 2-3-year rebuilding process without Brady.
I don't think Bill stays here for 2-3 years for a rebuild. No way does he having losing seasons post-Brady.

We haven’t drafted a WR who has worked out since Edelman in 09.
Malcolm Mitchell was good until he was injured. N'Keal could be good and has shown production, he has nobody to pass it too him.

The Pat's typically don't draft WR's except late round projects, they have preferred to sign value vet free agents. This is a lot of hemming and hawing for a team that annually was one of the best passing offense's in the league.

They need a QB.

“Young talent everywhere on the roster”? Please tell us where. JC Jackson, Onwenu, Harris... who else? Who else has shown that they can be better than average?
Most of the young players are playing for the first time. Annually the Patriots have been one of the toughest rosters to crack in football. They have placed more young players on the IR with the Foxboro Flu then any other team in the league.

Bad teams absolutely need rookies to play, rookies have to earn snaps on the Patriots. BB said it a week ago, this year they have more young players than any time in the past.

They have a lot of young talent that needs experience. I'm not going to rattle off the entire roster.

So it's Tom's fault because Bill couldn't stand up for himself? Or it's Tom's fault that Bill drafted the skill positions so poorly that he needed help to bail out a struggling offense?

No one traded for AB. Bill signed him and paid him $9 million for one game. AB was a risk who at the time I was fine with but if it blows up in Bill's face you can't just ignore it. I am no Bennett fan but he is nowhere near in the same category as AB as far as being a bad human being. Also he was another well known character risk and not only did Bill trade for him he gave him more money. That once again is on Bill.

Harry didn't look good with Brady who can clearly still play. He doesn't look good with Cam. How much rope is he going to get? Your previous post you acted like Meyers is some hidden gem. He isn't. He is a practice squad level guy who plays out of necessity once again due to free agent whiffs, bad trades, and poor drafting. As for Ealy please show me where I said we wasted a 2nd on him. You can't.

Typical "it's all someone else's fault and not Bill's" nonsense declaring we just need a better QB and this group of superstars will really be firing on all cylinders.

So it's Tom's fault because Bill couldn't stand up for himself? Or it's Tom's fault that Bill drafted the skill positions so poorly that he needed help to bail out a struggling offense?

No one traded for AB. Bill signed him and paid him $9 million for one game. AB was a risk who at the time I was fine with but if it blows up in Bill's face you can't just ignore it. I am no Bennett fan but he is nowhere near in the same category as AB as far as being a bad human being. Also he was another well known character risk and not only did Bill trade for him he gave him more money. That once again is on Bill.

Harry didn't look good with Brady who can clearly still play. He doesn't look good with Cam. How much rope is he going to get? Your previous post you acted like Meyers is some hidden gem. He isn't. He is a practice squad level guy who plays out of necessity once again due to free agent whiffs, bad trades, and poor drafting. As for Ealy please show me where I said we wasted a 2nd on him. You can't.

Typical "it's all someone else's fault and not Bill's" nonsense declaring we just need a better QB and this group of superstars will really be firing on all cylinders.
BB takes the blame for everything, the buck stops with him. He also gets credit for 3 Super Bowl wins, 4 appearances, a top 5 defense, top 5 special teams and offense over the last 5 years. Brady wasn't making tackles, he wasn't playing gunner on kick offs, he wasn't blocking or catching.

This is a rebuilding year, BB said it... their salary cap back when Brady needed to be signed screamed it. They overspent to win those ^ rings. You can disagree where the money went but can hardly complain about the results.

Meyers is playing because Cam threw N'Keal a guillotine ball... Cam is the only person who seems to get a free pass here. "Weapons" don't play in a vacuum.

Malcolm Mitchell was good until he was injured. N'Keal could be good and has shown production, he has nobody to pass it too him.

The Pat's typically don't draft WR's except late round projects, they have preferred to sign value vet free agents. This is a lot of hemming and hawing for a team that annually was one of the best passing offense's in the league.

They need a QB.
Mitchell had injury concerns coming out of college and lasted a year. Harry has done nothing to warrant his 1st round selection. Once again, we haven’t drafted a WR of note since Edelman in 09.

What makes you think that not "living in the moment" is what folks who think like me are doing? I am living in the moment and there is zero upside to winning more games this year long term. Thinking about the future doesn't make a person a bad fan. Just like you have zero right to tell someone to leave. Its complete BS on your part.

But the point is finishing in the middle of the pack only hurts our future. The Krafts will never allow this team to be a loser, especially long term. So no real need to get used to it. This year is what it is. From here on out it should be about next season. Get the young guys experience, see what you have. Hit FA hard, hopefully have a high draft pick, score some talent. And then start building version 3.

You can still enjoy the first downs. While acknowledging the team needs an overhaul at several key positions. QB is number one on that list.
Wanting them to tank is no way to go through a football season, you are doomed to be forever disappointed.

Most of the young players are playing for the first time. Annually the Patriots have been one of the toughest rosters to crack in football. They have placed more young players on the IR with the Foxboro Flu then any other team in the league.

Bad teams absolutely need rookies to play, rookies have to earn snaps on the Patriots. BB said it a week ago, this year they have more young players than any time in the past.

They have a lot of young talent that needs experience. I'm not going to rattle off the entire roster.
So you say we have loads of young talent, but won’t (or can’t) name them. The fact is we have some young players who we don’t know how they’ll turn out, and about 3 (Jackson, Onwenu, Harris) that look to be good. And the most glaring thing is that we don’t have a QB.

BB takes the blame for everything, the buck stops with him. He also gets credit for 3 Super Bowl wins, 4 appearances, a top 5 defense, top 5 special teams and offense over the last 5 years. Brady wasn't making tackles, he wasn't playing gunner on kick offs, he wasn't blocking or catching.

This is a rebuilding year, BB said it... their salary cap back when Brady needed to be signed screamed it. They overspent to win those ^ rings. You can disagree where the money went but can hardly complain about the results.

Meyers is playing because Cam threw N'Keal a guillotine ball... Cam is the only person who seems to get a free pass here. "Weapons" don't play in a vacuum.
The thing that you need to understand is that no one is saying Bill sucks. No one is taking credit away from him for all he has done. What people are saying is that we are where we are right not solely because of Bill. He mismanaged the cap and the roster and now wants to make excuses for it. He "sold out"one year and that was 2019 and he had to "sell out" due to his own ineptitude. Not because Brady wanted more weapons or more money. Not because he won a bunch of Super Bowls. Because he has drafted poorly and made some very poor personnel moves. It is okay for Bill to get credit for winning Super Bowls as long as he is willing to take credit for the current state of the team but he seems to be making excuses which to be is embarrassing to say the least.

So you say we have loads of young talent, but won’t (or can’t) name them. The fact is we have some young players who we don’t know how they’ll turn out, and about 3 (Jackson, Onwenu, Harris) that look to be good. And the most glaring thing is that we don’t have a QB.
He has been giving Bill credit for "talent" that has been either injured or healthy scratches all year.

Hmmmmm....
A meaningless win over the Jests in a covid year......
Or
Two decades of Trevor?

Recalibration complete.

Go Jests !!!!!!!

It's been a very long time since anyone here has had to think about rooting for Pats losses in order to improve draft position...Not since before Bledsoe...Because after he & Parcells arrived we always fielded competitive teams, even during the non-winning seasons of 1993, '95, '99 & 2000...And one of the reasons that we remained competitive and why we all rooted so hard for wins and felt so much pain during the losses was because we had our QB - or in Bledsoe's case thought we had - in place already so the rest was more hole-filling than Holy Grail-searching, and that our time could literally be just one year away...

We need a Franchise QB, and the fastest, most cost-effective ways to acquire one - Tom Brady being the exception proving the rule - is at or near the top of the first round of the draft...And which teams are at or near the top? The ones with the most Losses...

Let's face it: This is 1992, and right now I'd settle for a Bledsoe at QB for 2021 and hope that Bill & Skippy & Fisch can coach his bad habits out of him before they become too deep-seated; though I also see nothing wrong with doing whatever it takes to grab the possibly next Great One, including losing games during a season that's going absolutely nowhere for us...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes