PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stafford, Winston possibilities for Pats in 2021?

Pass on both. but seriously, who can succeed without a viable tight end?

Not going anywhere.

I don't think you will see Carr in a Raiders uniform again. They can move on from him with only 2.5m in dead cap and Gruden gets an entire year to evaluate Mariota on a very favorable deal (10M).

Aren't we eventually going to need to pay someone though? Maybe having Brady so long has made us picky with quarterback play? Not a diss at you or anybody here, but eventually we'll need to pay someone even if they're not as good as Tom Brady.

To me it is a question of value. To get a 33 year old Stafford in March you'd have to send a couple of draft picks to the Lions and then also pay him at the very least 20m in salary on a 2 year deal. The entire deal to get him here is just too expensive for my taste. If he'd be cut -- which he won't be -- and you'd get him without any draft picks it would be a different story.

As much as many don't like to hear it but to me the most likely scenario going into next year is still Newton, Stidham, rookie QB. That is if Cam agrees to a team friendly deal. I get why a lot don't like the option as they want a more traditional QB who throws the ball more but at the same time I can see BB continuing to be fascinated by all the oldschool stuff he could pull out especially with a full offseason to prepare.

I would have loved to see Mariota work with McDaniels but I think he might be the starter for the Raiders next season. Carr might be among the best among potentially available QBs next offseason and he'd most probably require the same package as Stafford (assets + ~20m APY).

Either way it will be an interesting offseason..

Winston and Stid can battle it out in training camp to see who throws more interceptions. Winston really? Guess y’all wanna replace one garbage qb with an even worse one.

Can the north Atlantic ocean support enough Crabs for Jameis?

Winston will need to switch to Lobster.

Trubisky or Stafford: fine. No thanks on Winston: his mind is jacked beyond repair.

If I had to pick one, it'd be Stafford. He's good, and I think he might be the best fit for Bill World, where - let's be honest - not everyone can thrive.

Last edited:
If we trade for stafford are we just paying for his base salary? Ie 9.5m in 2021 and 12m in 2022

None of these players excites me. Yes, I understand that getting someone in Brady’s category is highly unlikely - but the thought of giving up anything (+ $) for Stafford seems counterproductive.

I’d rather NE invest in getting the pieces in place and try to tackle QB when they see an opportunity. To spend ressources on « ok QBs » doesn’t interest me. You can get a low level QB for very little. I’d rather a cheap low level WB than an expensive low level QB.

Brissetti is ..serviceable, which far more than you say about the stiff we've got starting now.
Serviceable for sure. Hopefully we can find someone even better than that.

Serviceable for sure. Hopefully we can find someone even better than that.
I do think there's some upside still in Brissett. It's a possibiulity, I think, that he could develop into a long-term solution, IF he does in fact continue to develop. Stafford I think is ready as he is (after adjusting to the underlying Patriot offensive philosophy) to be a legit, "franchise" qb for a few years, if we can afford him. My only worry is that we waste even another moment on the Cam disaster.

Winston is an interesting case because he finally got LASIK this past offseason to finally fix his questionable eyesight (astigmatism) which probably significantly affected his play because he refused to wear contact lenses. It begs the question, though: why didn't he get it sooner (besides understandable fear)? He was my choice of "take a flyer on a QB vet for pittance" in the previous offseason, but now I don't really have an opinion in the matter.

---------
"The offseason LASIK procedure is notable given Winston's historic interception woes last season, when he became the first quarterback in NFL history to throw 30 touchdowns and 30 picks. The surgery helped correct the nearsightedness that Winston has had going back to his days at Florida State, in addition to astigmatism, a defect in the curvature of the eye or lens."

"I can read license plates. I can read street signs, I think the precision in the vision is the biggest difference... No blurriness, and I think that's huge," Winston told reporters about his eyesight after the procedure. "Depth perception has increased tremendously and those are the big things. I didn't have bad eyes, I just had astigmatism. I had certain things that they had to fix to increase the precision and the sharpness of my vision."

I’m rooting for Aaron Rodgers to have his worst playoff performance and then BB offering the first for him.

He's going to be MVP. Little chance that he goes anywhere next year. I was hoping for your scenario prior to the 2020 season but my hopes have been dashed by how good he is performing.

None of these players excites me. Yes, I understand that getting someone in Brady’s category is highly unlikely - but the thought of giving up anything (+ $) for Stafford seems counterproductive.

I’d rather NE invest in getting the pieces in place and try to tackle QB when they see an opportunity. To spend ressources on « ok QBs » doesn’t interest me. You can get a low level QB for very little. I’d rather a cheap low level WB than an expensive low level QB.

I doubt they will get anyone in the draft like Zach Wilson as he is climbing up the draft boards. Kyle Trask may be someone they can look at. The other person I thought about was Daniel Jones, if Joe Judge decides to go in a different direction. He can throw the ball really well at times, but his pocket awareness needs a lot of work. Also, he holds onto the ball too long and is turnover prone. If you can work out those issues through coaching, he can become a really good QB.

Winston is an interesting case because he finally got LASIK this past offseason to finally fix his questionable eyesight (astigmatism) which probably significantly affected his play because he refused to wear contact lenses. It begs the question, though: why didn't he get it sooner (besides understandable fear)? He was my choice of "take a flyer on a QB vet for pittance" in the previous offseason, but now I don't really have an opinion in the matter.

---------
"The offseason LASIK procedure is notable given Winston's historic interception woes last season, when he became the first quarterback in NFL history to throw 30 touchdowns and 30 picks. The surgery helped correct the nearsightedness that Winston has had going back to his days at Florida State, in addition to astigmatism, a defect in the curvature of the eye or lens."

"I can read license plates. I can read street signs, I think the precision in the vision is the biggest difference... No blurriness, and I think that's huge," Winston told reporters about his eyesight after the procedure. "Depth perception has increased tremendously and those are the big things. I didn't have bad eyes, I just had astigmatism. I had certain things that they had to fix to increase the precision and the sharpness of my vision."
Winston is a dope. It's really that simple, and it affects everything he does, qb work included.

Winston is a dope. It's really that simple, and it affects everything he does, qb work included.
I guess I didn't really look into his non football past that much while evaluating him (not sure why). Seems like another Antonio Brown. I guess I can see why Bountygateland took a flyer on him. Then again, we picked up Clock Killin, AB, AH, RM and plenty of other players with pasts. Perhaps BB is tired of dealing with that crap.

Last edited:
I don’t think a Rodgers experiment would go well here. Rumored to be uncoachable. With gunslinger QBs like Rodgers you take the good with the bad and hopefully the good outweighs the INTs that make you throw your remote at the TV. I don’t think we have an offense to support a QB like that.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back