PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sign me up for this interesting Deshaun Watson ESPN Trade scenario

With the exception of Isaiah Wynn, all of those players were taken after pick 25. The only eight players the Patriots have picked 25 or higher are:

Richard Seymour
Jerod Mayo
Nate Solder
Ty Warren
Vince Wilfork
Isaiah Wynn
Chandler Jones
Donta Hightower

On that list the WORST player you could claim is Wynn, and that's purely due to injury concerns. When he's on the field it's clear he's a very good LT. The picks after 25 have been more uneven, you're right, but even those have produced players like McCourty, Watson, and Graham. Even Michel hasn't been a BAD pick at 31 (you want more but he's shown he belongs in the league), and Malcolm Brown was a starter for another team in his second contract. Hell, he would have been a starter here last year given what we had inside.

If the deal was two first round picks that were guaranteed to be 32 overall, then sure, you're not giving up much. But a top 15 pick? I'd rather get the next Hightower, Jones, Mayo, Solder, Wilfork, Warren, or Wynn with that pick, AND still have a first next year. Let's not start rewriting Belichick's draft history because there are bad players picked at the very end of the first.
No rewriting at all. I just listed our last 5 1st round picks. In the NFL you can’t win without a franchise QB. The only way to get an established franchise QB is to trade a lot of draft capital.

Need to keep that 15th pick

Caserio could be like Kevin McHale in Minnesota sending the Celtics Kevin Garnett. Let's go Nick !!!

He would lose the locker room and the fanbase all inside of his first month.

Yeah but he'll have a job in waiting back here in Foxboro.

I would trade this in a heartbeat. Drafts are crapshoots.

I have been informed on here that Watson is a top 5 QB, and better than Tom Brady. Trade the house.

I don’t know, considering our last 5 1st rounds picks are N. Harry, I. Wynn, S. Michel, M. Brown, and D. Easley, maybe giving up 2 1st rounders for a franchise QB wouldn’t be such a bad move.
Cousin, Here-here! Excellent post.I agree with you. I would propose that even the Texans wouldn't trade all of those "first rounders", yes Nick, we are looking at you and Osse. Looking at a survey of Draft comparisons for NFL Teams the last few year, I can't believe we are mid-pack. That's too high.

To start this day, I had orange juice, coffee (still working on that) and a thick slice of blueberry lemon semi pound cake heated with a spread topping of crunchy peanut butter...."Ahh Remulak!". I am thinking about the Draft and how bad it is for many Teams. The Draft is comprised of 256 "definite maybees".

Every year Fans like us do mock Drafts. The pure fact is that most of us would have made a more successful Draft and we don't make 6 figures to do this annual "guess-a-rama". I have done the study. You know I did. In a fair term period of three years of eveluation, each Team per average has a 17% success rate that the player they chose in the Draft is still with their Team year three. Most are cut, traded because they couldn't fit in with their Drafted Team's need or lost to injury, drugs (you don't here that) or fringe speacial Teamers bouncing from the roster.. Yet we praise the .170 batting average "personnel" dudes.

O.K. Food for thought,....or two. BB is not a great Drafter. Trades and pick ups have been his forte. He has a little "George Allen" in him. Look up Allen. His success was with veteran players who were proven commodities.

For every Mahomes. Watson and Allen, there are Goffs, Haskins, Wentzs, Trubiskys. Jackson is trending towards a Cam career. Prescott might be up in the conversation because of a great O Line a few years ago and a RB who was superb for one great year, So in essence after Brady leaves we have Peyton and Tom version two with Allen and Mahomes and Watson as the Brees character.

The coach that the Texans hired? who???? Why bother. I would have hired Bieniemy just to keep Watson. But then that's me. What do I know.

The only way you get Watson is a three player trade (NBA here we come) . Nick is toast if he trades to BB for even five first rounders.

Here is a trade that most here will hate with pitchforks and torch disdain........This will require a bowling ball bag for a jock strap from each Team but here goes:

The Patriots swap 1rst round picks with the Washington (15th to 19th), trade their second round pick (#47) and fifth round pick plus send RB Sony Michel to the Washington for WR Terry McLaurin and QB Kyle Allen (who they tried to trade for last season)........ plus get back the traded Brandin Cooks in the Texans deal.

The "Football Team" trades stud Edge Rusher Chase Young and their #1 pick (15th from Pats) and the Patriots second round (#47) plus Michel (whom Nick Drafted) to the Texans for Watson and Cooks who is traded back to the Patriots (Cooks is only 27 years old Cousins. He knows Josh's system).

Washington still holds it's 2nd rounder and gets a Franchise QB. Plus a fifth Rounder. THEY ARE NOT MORTGAGING YEARS OF PICKS. To get something, you have to give something. They have CAP room galore to take Watson, and enough to get him a decent WR and an Edge rusher.

The Texans get Chase Young PLUS.............;a top 15 Draft pick in Round 1.; a top 50 Draft pick in Round 2 and serviceable RB Michel who would be automatically the Texans best AND STARTING RB. BUT.......BEST OF ALL Nick gets his picks back. Nick can go up and down the board now for maybe QB Mac Jones or trade for perhaps a Derek Carr (would Mayock trade him for a top pick? yes......He can resign Matiota.) All this in trade for for Watson and Cooks. This also helps the abysmal Texans CAP. Nick might not have a choice. He is $17mm underwater.

The Pats get a under the radar QB whom they have coveted and a great young inexpensive WR
"The former undrafted free agent took over for an injured Cam Newton in 2019 and appeared in 13 games, starting 12.
He finished with 3,322 passing yards and 17 touchdowns but ended with 16 interceptions. He was especially impressive in his first four appearances, throwing seven touchdowns with zero picks while leading the Panthers to a 4-0 record."
Before his dislocated ankle last year, at Washington he had almost a 70% completion record.

The Pats can now fill holes with huge CAP room and come away with a #1 WR that has been missing for years......CHEAP and speed! The still keep the 19th pick in round 1. Plus they get back Brandin Cooks who they liked and is still young. The WR room is set. With the rise of J.J. Taylor, Michel can be moved.

I can't see the Pats spending $30mm+ for an older QB and Nick C. ain't trading Watson here to another AFC Team. Maybe Fitzpatrick as insurance as a cheap FA signing..

I would go for Stafford because Bill needs an upgrade NOW before he retires but.........Allen is only 24.

It's a thought...Bring it on Cousins! Blockbuster?
DW Toys

Last edited:
With the exception of Isaiah Wynn, all of those players were taken after pick 25. The only eight players the Patriots have picked 25 or higher are:

Richard Seymour
Jerod Mayo
Nate Solder
Ty Warren
Vince Wilfork
Isaiah Wynn
Chandler Jones
Donta Hightower
I think you meant picked at #25 or lower.

No rewriting at all. I just listed our last 5 1st round picks. In the NFL you can’t win without a franchise QB. The only way to get an established franchise QB is to trade a lot of draft capital.

No doubt there. My only point was that there is a pretty big difference in their draft record when they pick earlier in the first round. Just listing their last five first round picks isn't telling the whole story on what they can do with top 15 pick.

Correct, sorry... "higher" as in better, but I realize now that's confusing verbiage.
After thinking about it, your verbiage makes more sense.

I think what could clinch this deal

is if we kept N'Keal

What does his opinion matter?

A better one was the idea my Steelers fans friends were talking about, except theirs involved ONE first, a second, and two thirds :rofl::rofl: hmm let me sleep on that one lmao

Last edited:

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back