PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sign me up for this interesting Deshaun Watson ESPN Trade scenario

Someone really got paid to brainstorm some lopsided hypothetical trades.
And we paid him by reading even if it was paywalled

• Winner
Reactions: PP2
Again, this all comes down to if Watson wants to come here. In addition, as another poster said, It would be Caserio's death wish trading Watson to his former team. With that being said, the trade is too much. In addition, Texans have little to no leverage trying to get kings ransom for a guy that wants out and has a no trade clause. Teams would be fools, especially the one that knows he wants to go to, offer up a ton to get him.

Last edited:
Ew. No. Watson is a very good QB but reminds me of Rivers in that good enough to give you hope but not Elite in that he single handedly adds 4-6 wins every year. Was it Watson or just that he was throwing to Hopkins? I am not giving up two firsts AND Jackson for him.
I don’t know, considering our last 5 1st rounds picks are N. Harry, I. Wynn, S. Michel, M. Brown, and D. Easley, maybe giving up 2 1st rounders for a franchise QB wouldn’t be such a bad move.

I don’t know, considering our last 5 1st rounds picks are N. Harry, I. Wynn, S. Michel, M. Brown, and D. Easley, maybe giving up 2 1st rounders for a franchise QB wouldn’t be such a bad move.
It wouldn’t be a bad move but it would be impossible to get a franchise QB for 2 1st round pick. Jamal Adams required 2 1st.

obviously caserio is going to try to keep watson but, if he cant, after being a loyal employee to the patriots for almost 20 years would he trade a franchise qb to the enemy in our division or try to trade him out of the conference.

obviously caserio is going to try to keep watson but, if he cant, after being a loyal employee to the patriots for almost 20 years would he trade a franchise qb to the enemy.

Imagine how it would look if you are a Texans fan or player and your new GM trade your most important player to his old team

That's a good point. It's the same reason why I say don't trade talent like Gilmore because I'm 99.9% confident Bill will not be able to get anywhere close to equal value from that pick.

Except it’s not just 2 firsts its also JC Jackson who is the best #2 corner in the league or a top 15-20 #1 corner. For him alone I would want a high second low first as those guys don’t grow on trees and Gilmore is getting older. Plus those first round picks besides Harry aren’t awful. I see 3 solid starters and one injury risk that if it would have worked out would have given us a Gronk like 3tech. worth the risk IMO unfortunately just rolled snake eyes. For a franchise QB I would trade two firsts, let me know when one is available for trade.

The only interesting nugget here is that the Texans do desperately need CB help.

Jackson is a low cost option that is playing at an elite level.

This is the 4th thread on trade speculation for Deshaun Watson that ignores the same important detail as the other three.

Houston is already $18 million over the cap, and this trade pushes that number up to $24 million. The Texans would have to do a lot of restructuring and cuts just to get to where they need to be to have a complete roster. What next, trade fan favorite J.J. Watt to save some money as well?

The new management team would be signing their own termination papers. Ownership, fans and the media would never let them forget.

I'm surprised at how many posters are saying Texas wouldn't be interested. Two first rounders+ ; a young solid CB for a player that doesn't want to be there ? As a NE fan I'd not be all that excited about giving up this much for Watson - but I will acknowledge he'd be a huge upgrade over (most likely) anything BB can find...

If the argument is "Texas is sure to get more on the market", then - I guess I could agree with that. If teams are willing to give up more than that, it's their life/problem. But to suggest a pouting player who's never done much of anything in the postseason isn't worth giving up for two 1st rounders and more ?
Farn, I agree that with two 1st rounders, JC and a 2nd, that they are getting a lot of quantity back, but if I'm a Houston fan, if I trade Watson, I want to make sure that I get a QB in return or someone in the draft that I really like and can build around going forward. With the number 15 pick, I'm not getting that and now I don't have a qb going forward.

Imagine how it would look if you are a Texans fan or player and your new GM trade your most important player to his old team

i was asking, if after working for the pats for the past 20 yrs, would caserio trade watson to the enemy meaning miami or new jersey... not to the pats.

fantasy-island-screengrab

Also, here's half of a cold 7-11 hot dog I'll give you if you let me have sex with your wife from now on.

Interesting trade potential, imo
Gotta be a whole dog, plus use of the microwave...

obviously caserio is going to try to keep watson but, if he cant, after being a loyal employee to the patriots for almost 20 years would he trade a franchise qb to the enemy in our division or try to trade him out of the conference.
Little Nicky Caesar has already shown where his loyalty lies...He's had his eyes on the Houston gig for over a year & one half now while still drawing checks from the Patriots ...He would absolutely LOVE to screw them by trading Watson to either Miami or the J-E-T-E.

With the exception of Isaiah Wynn, all of those players were taken after pick 25. The only eight players the Patriots have picked 25 or higher are:

Richard Seymour
Jerod Mayo
Nate Solder
Ty Warren
Vince Wilfork
Isaiah Wynn
Chandler Jones
Donta Hightower

On that list the WORST player you could claim is Wynn, and that's purely due to injury concerns. When he's on the field it's clear he's a very good LT. The picks after 25 have been more uneven, you're right, but even those have produced players like McCourty, Watson, and Graham. Even Michel hasn't been a BAD pick at 31 (you want more but he's shown he belongs in the league), and Malcolm Brown was a starter for another team in his second contract. Hell, he would have been a starter here last year given what we had inside.

If the deal was two first round picks that were guaranteed to be 32 overall, then sure, you're not giving up much. But a top 15 pick? I'd rather get the next Hightower, Jones, Mayo, Solder, Wilfork, Warren, or Wynn with that pick, AND still have a first next year. Let's not start rewriting Belichick's draft history because there are bad players picked at the very end of the first.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back