PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stafford, Winston possibilities for Pats in 2021?

Not being able to win in Detroit is not a great fact. Does not matter if it's the playoffs or who plays WR. I copied one stat that does stand out.

“(Since 2014) Brady, Brees, Big Ben in fourth-quarter, two-minute kind of game-changing drives, they’ve done it 11 times (each), where they’ve taken the lead. Matt Ryan’s done 13. Matthew Stafford’s done it 20 times. 20 times. That’s a third of the games he’s played in, in that span. That’s nuts. The greater stat: He’s had 24 chances to do it, he’s done it 20 out of 24, and one of those times was Calvin Johnson’s fumble in Seattle.”

Wrong.

Wynn-Thuney-Andrews-Mason-Onwenu on the season

11 Sacks allowed
38 pressures allowed

As a unit they are allowing less than a sack a game and 2.9 pressures a game

Not their fault Newton is bad, they don't have a true #1 WR and there is no production from the TEs.

The OL is barely above average and I don't really care what meaningless stats are saying. Just gotta watch the game instead and see how they even screw up assignments where they have the numbers, **** up blitz pickups and with Eluemunor on the field even consistently screw up screens.

But then again don't let it ruin your biased narrative and crusade against a QB.

Would rather get Mariota. He won a playoff game in Arrowhead. And is getting paid less than 1/2 of what Stafford would make.

You don't have to sell Mariota on me. I have been saying this since the moment Brady decided to leave.

My point was that people around here have a warped opinion what a "good QB" is because they have been watching the most consistent QB in NFL history for a long time.

Stafford is a good QB -- not elite but absolutely fine -- and the entire narrative that he is not a winner is just based on some nonsense idea that QBs have some magical powers to carry badly coached/constructed teams to success. If winning was that easy then Rodgers and Brees would have had a lot more championship appearances than they do.

No QB has ever carried a team to anywhere. It has always been and always will be a team sport that requires contributions from all units at the right times.

Stafford Is a large improvement over what we're getting out of the QB (passing quarterback, not running QB) position right now. Was never a huge fan of his, but I'd welcome him with open arms right now.

Wrong.

Wynn-Thuney-Andrews-Mason-Onwenu on the season

11 Sacks allowed
38 pressures allowed

As a unit they are allowing less than a sack a game and 2.9 pressures a game

Not their fault Newton is bad, they don't have a true #1 WR and there is no production from the TEs.

It's even better considering Herron is not great and Eleanorn only ok in certain spots, and they've started before.

I work for a company that buys bad ideas, and I listen to people pitch hundreds of ridiculous, terrible, idiotic ideas every day. Each is worse than the last.

This is the worst idea I’ve ever heard.

Here's the thing everyone should understand. There are going to be a ton of somewhere south of elite QB's that could be available this off season and Stafford is just one of them.

The way people here scoff at Stafford goes to show how delusional some are about what "good" QB play actually looks like.

He'd be a fine QB but for my taste too expensive given where we are.
Aren't we eventually going to need to pay someone though? Maybe having Brady so long has made us picky with quarterback play? Not a diss at you or anybody here, but eventually we'll need to pay someone even if they're not as good as Tom Brady.

Do you guys think that Carr is an option?

So in 2014 with a a top 3 defense, Calvin Johnson and Golden Tate for WRs, he accomplished what? One and done in the playoffs.
Lame argument. You cherry picked ONE year & omitted the other factors that played into his lack of success. It’s not like DET was beating SEA, GB or DAL that year anyway. To be fair, Stafford does leave a lot to be desired, but he is a very capable QB (does this season not attest to that?) He is smart, accurate, semi-clutch, has a strong arm & can move. I believe Stafford has had the worst running game throughout his entire career of any QB outside of Marino & Archie; maybe even worse actually. You cannot win in the NFL without a defense & running game (unless your name is Tom Brady lol) Anyway, I believe with GOOD COACHING, A STABLE ORGANIZATION & a few weapons on O & D, he’d do well here. Hell, I think we’d be at least 8-5 with Stafford and this current roster.

You can say that about the packers. He has stunk the joint up in big games. Has never won a division title. Think about that.
It’s not even a comparison, bruh. Rodgers is head and shoulders above Stafford...also...
Lame argument. You cherry picked ONE year & omitted the other factors that played into his lack of success. It’s not like DET was beating SEA, GB or DAL that year anyway. To be fair, Stafford does leave a lot to be desired, but he is a very capable QB (does this season not attest to that?) He is smart, accurate, semi-clutch, has a strong arm & can move. I believe Stafford has had the worst running game throughout his entire career of any QB outside of Marino & Archie; maybe even worse actually. You cannot win in the NFL without a defense & running game (unless your name is Tom Brady lol) Anyway, I believe with GOOD COACHING, A STABLE ORGANIZATION & a few weapons on O & D, he’d do well here. Hell, I think we’d be at least 8-5 with Stafford and this current roster.

Not being able to win in Detroit is not a great fact. Does not matter if it's the playoffs or who plays WR. I copied one stat that does stand out.

“(Since 2014) Brady, Brees, Big Ben in fourth-quarter, two-minute kind of game-changing drives, they’ve done it 11 times (each), where they’ve taken the lead. Matt Ryan’s done 13. Matthew Stafford’s done it 20 times. 20 times. That’s a third of the games he’s played in, in that span. That’s nuts. The greater stat: He’s had 24 chances to do it, he’s done it 20 out of 24, and one of those times was Calvin Johnson’s fumble in Seattle.”
has any qb ever won in detroit?

Aren't we eventually going to need to pay someone though? Maybe having Brady so long has made us picky with quarterback play? Not a diss at you or anybody here, but eventually we'll need to pay someone even if they're not as good as Tom Brady.

Obviously eventually they are going to have to pay someone, but the how much makes a difference.

Are we better off with Ryan Fitzpatrick or maybe even Matt Ryan at half the price of Stafford, and draft a QB?

As mentioned there are a few sub elite QB's coming available, and cap will be a consideration.

Obviously eventually they are going to have to pay someone, but the how much makes a difference.

Are we better off with Ryan Fitzpatrick or maybe even Matt Ryan at half the price of Stafford, and draft a QB?

As mentioned there are a few sub elite QB's coming available, and cap will be a consideration.
I think we should get Matt Ryan...

However I heard a report that Indi should trade for him. Think they will?

I think we should get Matt Ryan...

However I heard a report that Indi should trade for him. Think they will?

Is that a tradeable contract for Matt Ryan at this stage? Maybe others know. I thought he might be cut.

Does Rivers retire? This seems to have been a successful year for them.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back