PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stafford, Winston possibilities for Pats in 2021?

Great so don’t waste time with Stiddy a soon to be 25 year old who hasn’t shown any progression and get someone here with a future in the league.
You're claim that Stidham "hasn't shown any progression" is lazy and erroneous. Your further claims that he "blew it" because he didn't immediately become the Starter during his 2nd year in the league is just laughable.

The OL is barely above average and I don't really care what meaningless stats are saying. Just gotta watch the game instead and see how they even screw up assignments where they have the numbers, **** up blitz pickups and with Eluemunor on the field even consistently screw up screens.

But then again don't let it ruin your biased narrative and crusade against a QB.

You're damning the O-line because of Eleumenor's play at LT? F***.. That's no better than saying that the O-line sucked ALL of 2019 because Newhouse played in 8 games at LT. When Eleumenor played RT, he was playing very well.

Maybe YOU should watch the games and see how it's just been Eleumenor at LT that has been the major issue. That the O-line has been very good at keeping Cam clean considering that he sucks as a passer. If you bothered to look, you'd know that Running QBs tend to take more sacks and pressures than Pocket QBs.

To me it is a question of value. To get a 33 year old Stafford in March you'd have to send a couple of draft picks to the Lions and then also pay him at the very least 20m in salary on a 2 year deal. The entire deal to get him here is just too expensive for my taste. If he'd be cut -- which he won't be -- and you'd get him without any draft picks it would be a different story.

As much as many don't like to hear it but to me the most likely scenario going into next year is still Newton, Stidham, rookie QB. That is if Cam agrees to a team friendly deal. I get why a lot don't like the option as they want a more traditional QB who throws the ball more but at the same time I can see BB continuing to be fascinated by all the oldschool stuff he could pull out especially with a full offseason to prepare.

I would have loved to see Mariota work with McDaniels but I think he might be the starter for the Raiders next season. Carr might be among the best among potentially available QBs next offseason and he'd most probably require the same package as Stafford (assets + ~20m APY).

Either way it will be an interesting offseason..

Why would you have to pay Stafford? His deal runs through 2022.

Nope to both. Can't win a super bowl with either. The ways in which you are most likely to win a super bowl are with a top end QB or with a QB on his rookie deal/for low money. Very few exceptions to this rule. You are so much better off drafting a rookie and hoping he gives you great value or getting that true top end guy and paying him 5-10M more than you'd pay everyone else cause they just change the game for you that much.

The rules of QBs that win are these

Rule 1 : Have a HOF level QB
Rule 2: If you can't have the above, get a player on his rookie contract or otherwise on the cheap, hope he can at least manage the game and build an awesome cast to carry him. Maybe he gets hot for a while too!
Rule 3: Assuming 1 and 2 aren't possible.... Ummmm.... anything can happen I guess.... lol? Maybe? Possibly?

That's pretty much how it works. Particularly in the cap era. I think since the cap came into play just about every team that has won has had a HOF QB or paid well under market for their QB. The loan exception perhaps being the 2011 Giants but Eli's contract was cheap that particular year.

Both Brady and Cam have suffered under our piss poor pass blocking the past 2 years. Until we fix that it won't matter who we put under center if the GOAT and 6'5 250lb wall of muscle can't overcome it.

as i posted in the other thread, pats shouldve signed rosen from the bucs PS. As good as a rookie and see what he can do.

as i posted in the other thread, pats shouldve signed rosen from the bucs PS. As good as a rookie and see what he can do.
Yeah I saw that transaction too...Good move first by TB to bring him into the building, and then by SF to give him at least a 2-week eval.

Considering all the negative press about Rosen in the lockerroom, not just in AZ, but in Miami, I think that there is a reason BB never made a move to sign him. Now, maybe he's learned something, but he's on his 4th franchise in 3 years.. That's not typically a good sign..

You're damning the O-line because of Eleumenor's play at LT? F***.. That's no better than saying that the O-line sucked ALL of 2019 because Newhouse played in 8 games at LT. When Eleumenor played RT, he was playing very well.

Maybe YOU should watch the games and see how it's just been Eleumenor at LT that has been the major issue. That the O-line has been very good at keeping Cam clean considering that he sucks as a passer. If you bothered to look, you'd know that Running QBs tend to take more sacks and pressures than Pocket QBs.

Yeah, no. The pass blocking has been pretty inconsistent the last two years with Brady and Newton both not really having much time to execute. I am not sure what games you are watching but it was certainly not the Pats. Hell, even Stidham got destroyed recently behind that line in those 10-12 snaps he played despite going immediately to his checkdowns.

Sometimes they have a series where everything works out great and then they have series where the simplest blocking assignments fail like last week when Herron was so incompetent that he got beat outside twice despite inside help from Thuney. Or a couple snaps later Andrews being driven 3-4 yards into the pocket by a bullrushing interior Dolphins player. There are plays in each game that are just bad.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back