PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My take on the draft and the Patriots search for a QB

"Trask also lacks the deep ball arm strength of an elite NFL quarterback. The majority of his success at Florida comes from short and intermediate passes that give the wide receiver the opportunity to make yardage after the catch. If he is to be considered a future starting NFL quarterback, that will need to be his main area of improvement."

Well hell that was Brady for 20 years
Brady could play any offense they wanted him to play provided you gave him the weapons for it. He was among the league leaders in average distance of pass traveled in 2007, 2009, 2017 and leads the league this year. That scouting report fits the perception of Brady coming into the 2000 draft, but not the player he actually was for most of his career.

Honestly if we are looking at Jones and Trask might as as well just trade for Jimmy G, Wentz, or get Mariota.
I’d rather have Trace Mcsorley than Trask or Jones.
If there is a QB who is in range this maybe the year you take a package and go get your guy.
I’m looking at Wilson and Lance.
I don’t think you can win in today’s NFL without a Uber athletic QB or a QB with a lightening release.

BB is 68 not 35. He has won 6 super bowls and is changing Shula for all time wins. IF he stays, I doubt he has the patience for a full rebuild with a rookie QB unless that rookie QB had Trevor Wilson like talent.
THe ONLY path that makes sense is to bring either Jimmy G or Brisset back as they are familiar with the system and trusted by BB. Obviously BB loves Jimmy G and therefore I believe Jimmy G will be the guy. If he can not get Jimmy G or Brissett, Mariottta would be his next choice.
He will use his best draft assets to get a strong DT , WR, TE and LB.

Unfortunately we are without a non compensatory third year pick this year.

UPDATED; John Lynch says niners expect Jimmy G to be their QB. He has usually been true to his word, so now I think the Jimmy G option is less likely
If that’s the case then he should retire. Brisett is not a starter and everyone knows it, Indy went and got a QB with a stacked roster because they knew Brissett isn’t leading any team anywhere. The Colts were not a playoff team last year simply because of their QB situation. Mariota is a failure who hasn’t translated in the league and his strengths are something Bill isn’t going to build around. Jimmy G is habitually injured.

Thankfully I doubt Bill is getting either of them. People just want the path of least resistance.

Honestly if we are looking at Jones and Trask might as as well just trade for Jimmy G, Wentz, or get Mariota.
I’d rather have Trace Mcsorley than Trask or Jones.
If there is a QB who is in range this maybe the year you take a package and go get your guy.
I’m looking at Wilson and Lance.
I don’t think you can win in today’s NFL without a Uber athletic QB or a QB with a lightening release.
Problems here:

1. Wentz is going to cost a fortune with his contract. Its going to seriously slice up our cap space. A rookie is better.

2. Jimmy isn’t coming cheap and I doubt the Niner’s let him go anyways even if they draft someone.

3. Mariota is mediocre as **** and has put up Cam like numbers with a superior offense to ours

At least if you draft you get them cheap for a few years.

Problems here:

1. Wentz is going to cost a fortune with his contract. Its going to seriously slice up our cap space. A rookie is better.

2. Jimmy isn’t coming cheap and I doubt the Niner’s let him go anyways even if they draft someone.

3. Mariota is mediocre as **** and has put up Cam like numbers with a superior offense to ours

Mcsorley?

I like Trask, but Im still holding out hope for Cam.

Plunkett to Vataha
Grogan to Morgan
Bledsoe to Glenn
Brady to Welker
Cam to Harry

The Pats have a lineage of great combinations. Lets keep it going.

Problems here:

The Wentz thing is just bizarre. This is the same guy who probably wins MVP over Brady if he finished the season just a few years ago.

Spend 3 years to rebuild the offense? C’mon now. If it takes them that long, Bill & Co. need to go. This league is built so that teams can turnaround quickly and be competitive. If we have that many QB’s taken ahead of us, it doesn’t really matter other than the fantastic talent that may fall to us. It all depends on what grades Bill has on what players. What you and I may consider the 5th best QB in the draft could be the Pats #1.
This is a good point. Rebuilding isn’t a multi year thing anymore. Really, all any team needs is one good draft to be a contender. It’s been that way for thirty years. Health and drafting are the quickest way to the playoffs. Not a franchise QB, not a stud TE, no other position. That said, you NEED a QB and kicker. Tie-rod Taylor or Ball-joint Baker aren’t going to get you very far.

Thoughts on Desmond Ridder? I love his development this season, has all the tools to be the new ERA qb of the NFL> Id much rather him than tray Lance, what do you guys think is he a third/fourth rounder?

Jake Dolegala is going to be our future star(ting) QB.
We just need a new bridge guy. Enter Phil Rivers. 2 final years of sweet vindication to get that ring.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back