PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Ryan To Patriots? Speculation

Matt Ryan is a good player with the skillset to succeed in a Brady-style offense. If the Pats decide they didn't really like the Cam Newton/RPO/mobile QB experiment, he could be a really solid "back to basics" option. Of course, getting a guy like Ryan doesn't make the Pats contenders because the roster has holes all over the place and it'd just postpone having to find a young QB again, but I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in, getting some weapons and getting back to having a winning record before looking for the next guy at the position. I have to think he'd cost you less in picks than Stafford as well.

I love how picky we sound when all NE has is Cam Newton and Jarret "Apparently-No-Better-Than-Hoyer" Stidham

I would take Matt Ryan then trade by to San Fran for Jimmy G and a second

It's hilarious how bad Dan Sileo is at this. He doesn't understand that you can't report things from anonymous sources while also using supposed relationships with important people to boost your credibility. We saw the same thing in the 2019 season and 2020 offseason when he regularly referenced Don Yee (Brady's agent) when "reporting" Brady news.

I love how picky we sound when all NE has is Cam Newton and Jarret "Apparently-No-Better-Than-Hoyer" Stidham
One of the biggest disadvantages to how well we managed cap and having Brady is that you have fans who are wildly out of sync over what constitutes strong QB play and what are reasonable costs to acquire them.

Ryan is pretty much an even comp with higher upside than Phillip Rivers, in addition to being younger.

One of the biggest disadvantages to how well we managed cap and having Brady is that you have fans who are wildly out of sync over what constitutes strong QB play and what are reasonable costs to acquire them.

Ryan is pretty much an even comp with higher upside than Phillip Rivers, in addition to being younger.
And Ryan isn't retired ;)

We already had an old guy and didn't want him. Pass.

A Ryan trade with a post 6/1 designation would distribute the dead money hit over the next two years and save them 23m for next year.
Trades cannot be designated as post June 1 in the same manner that cuts can be.

"However, a club can’t designate anyone traded prior to June as a post-June 1 player."

If either he or Rodgers is traded it will have to be June 1st or later.

Didn't this same dude just say yesterday he heard Jimmy G to pats and stafford to niners

We gonna have Jimmy and Matt ryan?

It's not a matter of being picky. It is a matter of wasting draft capital on a QB that may not get the job done. It isn't like there aren't other options.

I don't want the Pats to be like the Vikings and Washington Team who seem to be every year or two trading for a middle of the road or slightly above average QB only to be an also ran team every year. You see very rarely trades like this working out for the team getting the quarterback.

Personally, if it is a choice between trading for Ryan or getting a short term QB on the cheap (say if Ryan Fitzpatrick comes available) and drafting a QB to develop as a starter, I would go for the latter. Ryan is already 35 years old and I don't see him making the Pats a contender. I would rather see the Pats suck for a few years to give them time to find the next franchise QB than trade for a Ryan and be just a playoff contender for the next 3-4 years with him.

It's not a matter of being picky. It is a matter of wasting draft capital on a QB that may not get the job done. It isn't like there aren't other options.

I don't want the Pats to be like the Vikings and Washington Team who seem to be every year or two trading for a middle of the road or slightly above average QB only to be an also ran team every year. You see very rarely trades like this working out for the team getting the quarterback.

Personally, if it is a choice between trading for Ryan or getting a short term QB on the cheap (say if Ryan Fitzpatrick comes available) and drafting a QB to develop as a starter, I would go for the latter. Ryan is already 35 years old and I don't see him making the Pats a contender. I would rather see the Pats suck for a few years to give them time to find the next franchise QB than trade for a Ryan and be just a playoff contender for the next 3-4 years with him.
Agreed. I don't want to keep chasing bridge guys to maybe get around 9-10 wins but never be a real contender. I want to rip the band aid off and get a young guy and start building for the future. Use the money you save on a young QB's contract to help fill the many holes on the roster. I really hope Bill doesn't just try and chase Shula's record and not sure up a long term quarterback solution.

Its possible to get a bridge QB and a great rookie all within a 2 year stint. The pats need a QB now. Hell they needed one last year.

Like I said before we are gonna lose draft picks to trade for a QB that will cost as much as Brady would have and is not as good.

Who keeps starting these numbnuts threads? The Pats can't afford him. Or Aaron. Or...

Who keeps starting these numbnuts threads? The Pats can't afford him. Or Aaron. Or...
planet of the apes eye roll GIF

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back