PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

so let's end this debate. wes welker or julien edelman?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

wes welker or julien edelman? who's better

• wes welker

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • julien edelman

Votes: 183 97.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You misspelled Danny Amendola

I don't think it's a competition any more. I mean no disrespect to Welker, his jersey is the only one I own, but Edelman is the clear winner here. Welker was better at getting open in the slot, but Edelman is much more dynamic. He's better after the catch, he plays outside as well is in the slot, is a talented punt returner, and dangerous when he occasionally runs the ball. Plus, he's a gamer who plays with so much passion.

Welker was an outstanding punt and kick returner. Welker returned 264 punts in his career for over 2,500 yards, and 183 kickoffs for over 4,100 yards.

Welker has 50 regular season td receptions to edelman's 24. They both have 5 td receptions in the playoffs.

Do your homework.

Wes Welker Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Welker redefined the slot position and is the world's biggest bobblehead.

But I'd take the squirrel any day. Plays in all phases of the game. Offense, defense, special teams, cheerleader. When Belichick said he couldn't figure out why he drafted him (role), it's probably cos he could do so many things.

Why is this even a question

With the Superbowl on the line Wes dropped the ball, while Jules made the most spectacular catch ever

with the last 2 SB performances, have to give it to Jules. But I loved the years that Wes had here. He was a large part of the team's success - a first down machine. I'm just glad the Pats had both them

Why is this even a question

With the Superbowl on the line Wes dropped the ball, while Jules made the most spectacular catch ever

In TWO Superbowls.

His catch while getting concussed in SB 49 on a 3rd and 10 on the Pats final drive was even better (but less photogenic).

It's funny how one play can affect perceptions.

In 2007, Welker caught 11 of 14 passes for 103 yards. In 2011, he caught 7 of 8 passes for 60 yards. But that one drop (which still gives me nightmares) makes us think he was unclutch. That was his only target of the day that wasn't a catch.

In 2014, Jules caught 9 of 12 passes for 109 yards and the winning TD in a Super Bowl. In 2016, he caught 5 of 13 passes for 87 yards. But he made THE CATCH. And it was one of many huge plays (and a dozen smaller plays) that helped us come back from the largest deficit in a Super Bowl to win our 5th Super Bowl.

Each player played in 2 Super Bowls for us. Production was fairly similar. But the end result is different. And while Edelman made the hugest play, you could also easily argue that this year's Super Bowl was the worst of the 4 games. Jules had a ton of drops in the game. If he doesn't make that catch and we lose the game, he's one of many goats in the loss. Instead, we're using this game as the final nail in the Welker vs. Edelman conversation.

Football really is a game of inches.

• Winner
Reactions: PP2
I can't think of Welker without seeing Brady lob that softball pass to him in the Super Bowl, culminating in a drop. If he catches that pass, we have 6 now with a perfect season.

Honestly, every time I even read or hear the name "Wes", the memories come back...

I'm a glass-half-empty person. And there's nothing I can do about it.

Bill Buckner, Scott Norwood, and Wes Welker.
The Weller drop was 2011, not 2007.

In TWO Superbowls.

His catch while getting concussed in SB 49 on a 3rd and 10 on the Pats final drive was even better (but less photogenic).
I felt Jules should have been MVP of SB49. And yeah, that catch was insane and the fact that he was inexplicably allowed to play afterward (thank goodness) and the plays he made afterward were a big reason the a Pats were even in position to win.

It's funny how one play can affect perceptions.

In 2007, Welker caught 11 of 14 passes for 103 yards. In 2011, he caught 7 of 8 passes for 60 yards. But that one drop (which still gives me nightmares) makes us think he was unclutch. That was his only target of the day that wasn't a catch.

In 2014, Jules caught 9 of 12 passes for 109 yards and the winning TD in a Super Bowl. In 2016, he caught 5 of 13 passes for 87 yards. But he made THE CATCH. And it was one of many huge plays (and a dozen smaller plays) that helped us come back from the largest deficit in a Super Bowl to win our 5th Super Bowl.

Each player played in 2 Super Bowls for us. Production was fairly similar. But the end result is different. And while Edelman made the hugest play, you could also easily argue that this year's Super Bowl was the worst of the 4 games. Jules had a ton of drops in the game. If he doesn't make that catch and we lose the game, he's one of many goats in the loss. Instead, we're using this game as the final nail in the Welker vs. Edelman conversation.

Football really is a game of inches.

all true however, if in 11, if Wes makes that catch when the games in on the line on 4th down, we probably dont get to know who Jules is,

inches or yards, making the play when its all on the line is what seperates the best of the best from the rest of the pack, where legend are made

Cold.
Interesting look at how BB approaches his players. "Way to compete."
Welker seems out of it. Was he out for a concussion? Or, maybe he just didn't understand what Belichick was getting at.

That was a spectacular look into what was behind the departure of Welker. In defense of Wes, he might have been fooled by the grin on BB's face and thought he was joking or wasn't really prepared for a serious question. No matter what it was a bad look for Welker.

Jules has dropped his fair share of balls.

It's overlooked because.. well because Jules won 2 superbowls and Welker lost 2
No and No. You can have drops, but when it is time to be laser focused, the luxury of having drops goes away. Like Hightower said, from this point forward, no more mistakes, mo more my bad. You have to play perfect. Jules plays perfect when we absolutely need it. when the game is on the line. I respect Welker's stats but I will take Jules. BB will take Jules as well.

FWIW, if the D makes a stop in SB42, Welker is likely game MVP and is remembered differently.

That being said, give me Jules. For his first 4 years he struggled to snag a regular role in the WR packages. When Wes left for Denver and Amendola was brought onboard to replace him, Jules busted his ass, worked hard with Brady and became "the man ". I love that about him. The clutch play in the last 2 Super Bowls is just the cherry on top.

Regards,
Chris

That was a spectacular look into what was behind the departure of Welker. In defense of Wes, he might have been fooled by the grin on BB's face and thought he was joking or wasn't really prepared for a serious question. No matter what it was a bad look for Welker.

i think people are making way too much about that conversation, it happened during a preseason game. and i dont want the team's best players returning punts in a meaningless game.

Edleman, not even a question.

Welker really was the ultimate gamer though, god damn shame his entire career will be remembered for that drop. He was amazing here.

Now retired, the guy dosen't even really have a "team".

Didn't do that much with the Dolphins. Pats fans hate him for going to the Broncos/the drop and he didn't win the Broncos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back