PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

so let's end this debate. wes welker or julien edelman?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

wes welker or julien edelman? who's better

• wes welker

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • julien edelman

Votes: 183 97.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wolverinejoe80

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
who's a better player? wes welker or julian edelman?

I don't want to get involved but when it comes to who can take more MDMA at the Kentucky Derby give me Wes Welker all day every day!!

my bad i spelled julian wrong. lol

Wes is better statistically but Julian has the big plays, clutch moments, and the rings. Its like comparing Peyton Manning to Tom Brady. Brady and Jules all day.

that's a great way to put it.

i can't fault everything on wes though. just too bad things didn't work out the way it was supposed to be. we would've embraced him as much as we are embracing jules. but things just went so sour very quick.

I don't think it's a competition any more. I mean no disrespect to Welker, his jersey is the only one I own, but Edelman is the clear winner here. Welker was better at getting open in the slot, but Edelman is much more dynamic. He's better after the catch, he plays outside as well is in the slot, is a talented punt returner, and dangerous when he occasionally runs the ball. Plus, he's a gamer who plays with so much passion.

Wes is better statistically but Julian has the big plays, clutch moments, and the rings. Its like comparing Peyton Manning to Tom Brady. Brady and Jules all day.

I just think people are prisoner of the moment. Welker made many clutch plays. He wasn't able to make a miraculous catch but it happens.

Fair or not, Welker will be associated with 18-1 & the " drop". Edelman will be associated with 3rd & 11 and the "Boston knee party" play.

Last edited:
hqdefault.jpg

People keep throwing shade at Welker but the guy had five seasons of over 110 catches and 1100 yards, something Jules has never done, the only time welker didn't do it was when he had torn his ACL in week 17 of the previous year. Jules and Wes don't even play the same roles anymore, obviously when he came into the league Jules was in the slot but we can all agree he doesn't do that now.

Correct me if I'm wrong but before SB 46 and then again against the Ravens the year after when did Welker ever have any huge drops? I thought he always came up pretty huge for us before that. I think Welker gets a bad rap around here cause of how and who he left to, but Welker was fantastic when he was here. He put up HOF numbers and produced every year. As far as between him and Jules they both have different strengths. Welker was better at getting open and I felt was the better route runner. Jules is better after the catch, has a much wider catch radius with better hands, and is the more versatile receiver seeing as how he can play outside the slot and catch some balls deep. At the end of the day I'd take Jules cause he came up with the huge plays in the playoffs and Welker didn't but that doesn't take away from what Welker did here. Its a shame he never got a ring with Tom.

I feel bad for Welker now. Left us to go to the Broncos and got a beat down in the SB. Then we won a SB without him. Broncos got rid of him and then won a SB. And now we won our 5th.

Must be torturous for him.

I love Wes. Probably deserved a ring more than anyone in the current era who had the misfortunate of coming up just short during the two near misses.

Wes is still arguably the best pure slot receiver in NFL history. Jules is the better all around player and probably a better leader, something that isnt discussed often.

Love Edelman. His personality just draws fans in. He's a better overall player because he can play multiple wr positions, can beat you short, deep, blocks etc.

Doesnt mean Welker was some slouch. Dude was a total badass and worthy of Patriots Hall OF Fame. Maybe the best slot receiver to ever lace them up.

Why this need to diminish Welker in order to praise Jules when Jules and the team succeed (and for the record, Jules was on the 2011 team, just like Welker, and didn't save that game either)? Welker's brains are scrambled eggs because of the number of catches he made for Brady in the middle of the field, many of those the clutch 3rd down receptions he was expected to make. Weird that Brady doesn't seem to bear any ill will towards him.

If Brady's offensive lines do their job against the Giants (unlike the games against the Hawks and Falcons, there were no points where Brady was not getting thrashed), then Welker is a two-time ring bearer and hero, just like Jules is now. And 672 receptions to Jules's 425 to go with that. His average was 112 receptions for 1243 yards per season (Jules hasn't done that in his best year). And that is not intended to take anything from what Jules has done (love the player). They were used very differently. Both were Brady's go to guys for very different offenses over the course of Brady's career.

It would likely be a closer comparison for Troy Brown and Jules than Welker and Jules (statistically and the general utility knife roles over their careers, but Troy was on 3 title winning teams, so there would be no need to do that). And as for those with selective memory suggesting that Welker did less/disappeared in the postseason, Welker and Jules have about the same stats lines, 88 to 89 receptions, both have 5 TDs, and Jules has about 120 more yards in 2 more games.

Although Welker has better overall stats, you can argue that DA has been more impactful when the games mattered most. DA was more clutch than Welker was imo.

Let us not forget that Jules learned a lot from Welker when he was here. Also let's not forget the first two seasons Jules kept getting injured.
Obviously at this stage Jules is better, but let's not discredit Wes, he literally refined joe to play the slot position at a high level. Wes was a very good route runner.

I appreciate both players because they both contributed towards this team success over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back