PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

so let's end this debate. wes welker or julien edelman?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

wes welker or julien edelman? who's better

• wes welker

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • julien edelman

Votes: 183 97.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an interesting question but like most of these kind of questions you have to define it further. Are you talking about best career? Best player at their peak? Who would you rather have for one game? Who would you rather have based on their role? Who was more valuable based on their role etc etc.

I am defining in as who would you rather have overall. And I'll say Edelman. My reasoning is the offense works better this way. Welker was a beast and the way our offense was designed in ran through him. What he did and how the defense reacted was the basis of our passing game scheme. There is no doubt that in the welker years our offense fell off in the biggest games. Not that it is his fault necessarily. the current offense isn't set up like that and it is now actually as good or better in the biggest games.

That is not just a welker vs edelman thing but I much prefer the Edelman years to the welker years.

This debate was over for me since about late 2013 and definitely in 2014 - Jules.

This thread reminds me of this clip.

Cold.
Interesting look at how BB approaches his players. "Way to compete."
Welker seems out of it. Was he out for a concussion? Or, maybe he just didn't understand what Belichick was getting at.

Lets end this debate, Birthday cake or saltines?
Are you asking me or Tom Brady? Come to think of it, Brady probably doesn't eat saltines either...processed flour.

Lot of Welker defenders in this thread but poll says something different.

I can't think of Welker without seeing Brady lob that softball pass to him in the Super Bowl, culminating in a drop. If he catches that pass, we have 6 now with a perfect season.

Honestly, every time I even read or hear the name "Wes", the memories come back...

I'm a glass-half-empty person. And there's nothing I can do about it.

Bill Buckner, Scott Norwood, and Wes Welker.

I think we should compare Welker and Dola, not Welker and Edelman.

I am probably one of the biggest Edelman fan on the board here. During the DA signing, i was all over mini-tron while people were bashing him. I think he's amazing, future Pats HOFer and if he continues he could potentially be a HOFer because of his versatility

What i don't like is polls like this that disrespect Welker. Wes gave his everything to the Patriots and was a great player for us. The one thing you can't question is his heart, so i prefer not to rip a player like that.

Julian has 2 SB rings and i am extremely happy for that.

I love Wes, love Edelman. People will always point at Wes for the reason we couldn't clinch SB 46. Maybe they're right, maybe they're not. But you can never question his heart and how much he put on the line for this team and how tough he was during his time here. Wish he could've gone out with a ring. Edelman made the clutch catches when we needed him to. Who knows. I'd rather not choose

I am probably one of the biggest Edelman fan on the board here. During the DA signing, i was all over mini-tron while people were bashing him. I think he's amazing, future Pats HOFer and if he continues he could potentially be a HOFer because of his versatility

What i don't like is polls like this that disrespect Welker. Wes gave his everything to the Patriots and was a great player for us. The one thing you can't question is his heart, so i prefer not to rip a player like that.

Julian has 2 SB rings and i am extremely happy for that.

I love Edelman to death and would choose him over Welker due to his intangibles. But I hate these continued threads. Welker was a GREAT player for us. He worked his ass off here. He was back in training camp 8 months after shredding his knee. He left NE basically physically broken. The comment above about comparing Welker to Dola is silly. The offense ran through Welker, just like it does Edelman. Dola is a role player who is great for us, but he is not Wes Welker.

personally the way wes made his exit left a bad taste in my mouth that i dont think ill ever get over.

I think we should look fondly at both players. They are both gritty, tough SOBs that have taken some huge shots over the years but continue to move the chains.

Welker gets a bad rap because of one drop and possibly b/c of the team he left us for, but he was great while he was here. It's too bad that people feel the need to look back at him distastefully.

There is no denying that Jules has surpassed him in Patriots lore though. He is just as productive but has the post season rings (and clutch plays) to boost him up. Not only that, but sometimes people forget that he is the prototypical Patriot much like Troy Brown. He started out with more of a special teams role, was mildly involved in the offense, and then was asked to play defense. THat's right, the WR that makes our offense go, was playing defense in 2011!

Not even close, edelman

personally the way wes made his exit left a bad taste in my mouth that i dont think ill ever get over.

Let it go - it is professional football. Ever notice how many players who get cut in NE end up saying how much they loved it here. It is the nature of the game.

How is this even a question

Let it go - it is professional football. Ever notice how many players who get cut in NE end up saying how much they loved it here. It is the nature of the game.

Ehh he left money on the table to leave and go to at the time our #1 competitive rival. It was the ultimate **** move.

Ehh he left money on the table to leave and go to at the time our #1 competitive rival. It was the ultimate **** move.

It was at the time similar to Ray Allen bolting for the Miami Heat. It wasn't about the money for Wes or Ray, they just wanted to stick it to their former clubs by joining the enemy.

Having said that, time heals most wounds and Wes showed up to hang out with the fans at Gillette at one of the games this year where 'fake Brady' was making the rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back