PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

so let's end this debate. wes welker or julien edelman?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

wes welker or julien edelman? who's better

• wes welker

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • julien edelman

Votes: 183 97.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Edelperson for me. :D

I don't think it's a competition any more. I mean no disrespect to Welker, his jersey is the only one I own, but Edelman is the clear winner here. Welker was better at getting open in the slot, but Edelman is much more dynamic. He's better after the catch, he plays outside as well is in the slot, is a talented punt returner, and dangerous when he occasionally runs the ball. Plus, he's a gamer who plays with so much passion.

Wes was right there with Jules with Intensity.. Wes was the offense for a couple years and just like Jules if he went down, so did the Patriots.

Honestly we are talking about less than 10 plays that separate these 2 guys. And obviously I am referring to the playoffs.

I voted for Julian but Wes and Julian are almost equal.

We are all thinking about that amazing/lucky catch that Julian made to keep the drive going.. and thats the last thing we remember. Because Brady has actually gotten even better as the years have gone on, he has a more dynamic passing game with Edelman as oppossed to Welker.

Correct me if I'm wrong but before SB 46 and then again against the Ravens the year after when did Welker ever have any huge drops? I thought he always came up pretty huge for us before that. I think Welker gets a bad rap around here cause of how and who he left to, but Welker was fantastic when he was here. He put up HOF numbers and produced every year. As far as between him and Jules they both have different strengths. Welker was better at getting open and I felt was the better route runner. Jules is better after the catch, has a much wider catch radius with better hands, and is the more versatile receiver seeing as how he can play outside the slot and catch some balls deep. At the end of the day I'd take Jules cause he came up with the huge plays in the playoffs and Welker didn't but that doesn't take away from what Welker did here. Its a shame he never got a ring with Tom.
Excellent point on drops.

I went for Edelman. But not by much. Welker was phenomenal here

Why does it have to be an either/or situation?

Every time one of these threads comes up it makes me wonder why *some* people are so desperate to bring down Wes Welker - the dude was a legend.

Edelman is a fantastic player and a total warrior - ditto for Welker.

Edelman but without Welker there would never of been an Edelman.

Edelman is the evolution of Welkers amazing success at the slot role with this team.

I'm voting for Edelman and I'm a big fan of Welker. Much as I liked Edelman I thought Welker played like a Hall of Fame player when he was here, he was critical to Brady's success and expecting Edelman to fill his shoes was too much to ask. I haven't changed my mind about Welker play when he was here but I was dead wrong about Belichick decision to let him walk. Edelman turned himself into an exceptional player and he has been critical to their success and the two Lombardis they won the last three years. He's not the same player Welker was as Welker was really just a slot receiver whereas Edelman can line up anywhere and be effective, and Edelman is far more explosive and a threat to go the distance every time he touches the ball. The fact that he has surpassed Welker is all due to his amazing work ethic and his physical and mental toughness. Edelman is a Patriot Hall of Famer and another in the long line of exceptional player's they have had during this incredible run of success.

If you offered a third poll option "I abstain", I bet that would win.

I thoroughly enjoyed WW's time here and thought he was GREAT player for NE, but give me Jules.

I really don't know why we tip-toe around this issue. WW and JE both have a ton of sole. Both have ankle breaking moves and and made DBs heel. Both fought for that extra foot of yardage.

Nice. But doesn't pass the smell test.

Wes is an all-time great Patriot and he redefined the slot.

Having said that, if I were building a team, it would be impossible to say no to Jules because of his versatility. Slot, outside, punt returns, throwing, emergency DB (please don't ever need that again), and that fiery leadership which every team needs.

Hey, hey now their both great, and both contributed this year, how quickly we forget who helped keep our QB game ready during his bogus 4 game suspension :D lol

Love both, Jules has made some of the greatest play in our history.

However, I feel to choose one you bring down the other, and I have far too much respect for both who have contributed to 17 years of bliss.

Oh, Jules has never taken the piss out of RR in a presser....Welker all the way! ;)

I love Wes. Probably deserved a ring more than anyone in the current era who had the misfortunate of coming up just short during the two near misses.

Wes is still arguably the best pure slot receiver in NFL history. Jules is the better all around player and probably a better leader, something that isnt discussed often.

Another player who should have gotten a ring is Mankins. Drafted in 2005, traded before 2014...wow.

Edelman beat out Welker for the starting job in 2012. This was a thing that happened.

They were both great. I'm not going to decide on his SB drops, but Welker never made a move like Edelman did in superbowl 49 to score the winning TD. He made it look so easy. And then this year.

It is like Brady/Manning. Performances that bring championships break close debates.

You knew the good feeling from one of the 2 greatest wins in Patriots history could not keep this topic down for even a week.

It would likely be a closer comparison for Troy Brown and Jules than Welker and Jules (statistically and the general utility knife roles over their careers, but Troy was on 3 title winning teams, so there would be no need to do that). And as for those with selective memory suggesting that Welker did less/disappeared in the postseason, Welker and Jules have about the same stats lines, 88 to 89 receptions, both have 5 TDs, and Jules has about 120 more yards in 2 more games.

Yes. Edelman's career arc much more closely resembles Troy Brown's. Consider that both toiled on the bench for a couple of years, played defensive back in a pinch during a super bowl run.

I respect Wes. He definitely gave the Pats everything they could've asked for and then some, but c'mon. The difference is between making "that" catch and not making "that" catch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back