PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rookie Mapu Already Playing Among the Starters

I’m not buying he is like Eugene Chung. He’s a little quicker, thinner and might be a few years younger but will have to look that up.

Edit: Yeah this was bad humor

Last edited:
I’m not buying he is like Eugene Chung. He’s a little quicker, thinner and might be a few years younger but will have to look that up.
Kung Fu Wtf GIF by A24

From a draft site, without attribution. But it's also consistent with a game-speed measurement by one of the tracking companies. So might not be an "official" time, but seems plausible. It's very fast for a LB, but not so good for a FS. Comparable to Chung.

Like Chung, with tremendous foot speed.

Not like Chung because Mapu is instinctive, Chung wasn't. Chung was not good at FS but great covering TEs. Covering TEs is straightforward and did not require instinctive movement all over the field. Not similar guys.

The game has reached the point the 250lb LB is not competitive in coverage after 5-10 yards. Way too much speed and agility out there now in pass catchers and QBs.

Guys like Mapu are critical in pass defense these days and vs QBs who like to run.

My gut tells me Mapu running with the starters is more of a litmus test to see what he does/doesn't know or can pick up over the next 3 months as opposed some kind of anointment as a starting LB.
If he run with hurts or Allen to stop a 3rd & 9 conversion then I'm all in! I'll take all the speed more so than anything in this era of NFL. For the life of me anyone.. just anyone that isn't going to run BEHIND on 3rd and long I'll take!

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back