PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rookie Mapu Already Playing Among the Starters

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Didn't see anyone mentioning this, but it's pretty impressive that he's already shown the coaches enough where he's running with the starters:

One thing that really stood out last week was the fact that third-round pick Marte Mapu was already front and center running with the starters.

The 6’3″, 216lb rookie third-round pick out of Sacramento State was known in college for his high-energy play and his tremendous athleticism, as well as his knack for being around the football.

Greg Bedard of BostonSportsJournal.com was among those who noted Mapu being out there and he believes, if last week was any indication, he’ll potentially be a factor this season.

“The other thing I really thought was notable, to me, was in the opening session to practice, Marte Mapu, the rookie draft pick was, despite being in a red non-contact jersey after going through surgery, was right out there with the starters as a sub-linebacker,” said Bedard. “To me, that jumped out. That’s something that you do not see very often and to me, that says they have big plans for Mapu moving forward.”

Clearly, Mapu gave the coaching staff plenty of confidence before the beginning of the workouts, where they felt comfortable putting him out there.

He’s definitely a guy who made a lot of noise in college. In 41 games, Mapu totaled 11 interceptions along with 94 tackles, including 13 for a loss. He also had 22 career passes defended.

Along with his athletic ability, he’s also a big hitter, and opponents often had a difficult time blocking him. His film was impressive, with Mapu frequently slipping past blocks and still making the play.

It’s still early, but given Mapu’s track record and how explosive he was in college, it appears like the Patriots may have some big plans for him in 2023.

At 216# some might think him too undersized. For comparison, Ted Hendricks - The Mad Stork - was damn good. He was listed at 6'7" 220# but if he was 220# it was in full kit.

Mapu is my binky. There's a handful of posters complaining that Gonzo isn't physical enough or a hard hitter, but that's not his job. Gilly wasn't known for that either.

Enter Mapu.. very hard hitter, very good nose for the ball.

At 216# some might think him too undersized. For comparison, Ted Hendricks - The Mad Stork - was damn good. He was listed at 6'7" 220# but if he was 220# it was in full kit.
Ted Hendricks also played at a time in which offensive guards weighed 260 lbs. Mapu is very slight for a traditional linebacker , he's fine if asked to play mainly off ball.

Shaquille Leonard 2.0

Mapu is 6'3" tall so I aassume he can put on 10 to 15 lbs. and play at 230 lbs. Lots of guys play at 230 lbs these days.

Ted Hendricks also played at a time in which offensive guards weighed 260 lbs. Mapu is very slight for a traditional linebacker , he's fine if asked to play mainly off ball.
Probably so but this
...along with his athletic ability, he’s also a big hitter, and opponents often had a difficult time blocking him. His film was impressive, with Mapu frequently slipping past blocks and still making the play.
suggests he's good at not allowing himself to be a target.

Matt Milano 2.0
I like my version better but yeah I see the similarity in play. I wouldn't mind either one.
I think Mapu can excel with all the biscuit eating motherlovers in front of him. He's got protection in front 6 to run wild. And he's taller/longer than Milano, which is really a big plus.

I like my version better but yeah I see the similarity in play. I wouldn't mind either one.
I think Mapu can excel with all the biscuit eating motherlovers in front of him. He's got protection in front 6 to run wild. And he's taller/longer than Milano, which is really a big plus.

Agreed. I think Mapu will be better than Milano but needs a year to fill out and make the jump from a small conference to the NFL.

Seems like we are drafting better faster guys. With next year's salary cap $$s we should keep getting better. Need Mac to shine for it all to come together.

Agreed. I think Mapu will be better than Milano but needs a year to fill out and make the jump from a small conference to the NFL.

Seems like we are drafting better faster guys. With next year's salary cap $$s we should keep getting better. Need Mac to shine for it all to come together.
It's great to hear he's out there running around. I didn't think he'd be ready for start of training camp or would be wearing the red shirt all summer. Maybe he's almost healed up. Looking forward to seeing how this draft class performs.

What I like is that I've been hearing this from just about everyone who was at the practice, so it wasn't just one guy getting hyped because it's a slow season (not that Bedard has that kind of reputation anyway). Seems like how active Mapu was so early was noteworthy to everyone who covers the team. Definitely something to watch when the pads come on.

I like the fact that he looks fast and good in coverage. As a lot of people are fond of pointing out, there's a lot of QB talent now in this division, and he looks like he really could be an athletic addition to the defense vs the passing game.

I like the fact that he looks fast and good in coverage. As a lot of people are fond of pointing out, there's a lot of QB talent now in this division, and he looks like he really could be an athletic addition to the defense vs the passing game.
LB coverage could use a huge improvement and we're definitely going to need to be able to chase down scampering QBs. He sounds like just the ticket.
Edit: TE coverage, not LB coverage

Last edited:
He’s tailor made for the Star position.

I do too. Matt Milano sucks.

Mapu has been compared to Fred Warner as well.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back