PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rookie Mapu Already Playing Among the Starters

Bill Belichick with a 4th consecutive flawless draft.

The guy is still dangling his nuts all over the rest of the league even at 71 years of age.
How You Doin Kiss GIF

LB coverage could use a huge improvement and we're definitely going to need to be able to chase down scampering QBs. He sounds like just the ticket.
Edit: TE coverage, not LB coverage
A cover LB who can stick with TE or RB? Sign me up. I hate that sense of dread I feel when I see a jersey in the 50's rumbling outside to cover a back on a wheel route.

A cover LB who can stick with TE or RB? Sign me up. I hate that sense of dread I feel when I see a jersey in the 50's rumbling outside to cover a back on a wheel route.
The game has reached the point the 250lb LB is not competitive in coverage after 5-10 yards. Way too much speed and agility out there now in pass catchers and QBs.

Guys like Mapu are critical in pass defense these days and vs QBs who like to run.

My gut tells me Mapu running with the starters is more of a litmus test to see what he does/doesn't know or can pick up over the next 3 months as opposed some kind of anointment as a starting LB.

Last edited:
Mack Wilson played about 25% of the defensive snaps last year as a sub backer. Could easily see him taking those at the very least and coming in on 3rd down.

I think it was SS but I could be wrong.
That would certainly make more sense given his tackling and build. But there is this from Lazar:

Along with the three safeties McCourty mentioned in his tweet, New England is rotating at safety to fill those big McCourty-sized shoes. Veteran defensive back Jalen Mills is moving from corner to safety, third-year DB Joshuah Bledsoe is in the mix, and rookie hybrid linebacker Marte Mapu has taken reps at safety and linebacker in the two open OTAs.

(Edit) - He did in fact play FS today:

The third-round rookie played linebacker in last week’s open practice, but he saw action at free safety on Tuesday, showcasing the multipositional ability that made him an FCS standout at Sacramento State. Mapu showed off impressive closing speed when he chased down running back Pierre Strong on a swing pass.

Yikes if Mapu plays FS. I thought Bill learned from his mistake with Chung.

At 6'3" and 220lbs Mapu would be a hell of a FS if he is fast enough. At 230 lbs. Mapu would be a scary FS. He can cover TEs, they say he is very instinctive so he is not a Chung, and can chase down RBs - he chased down Strong today who is a 4.3 guy.

At 6'3" and 220lbs Mapu would be a hell of a FS if he is fast enough

He isn't really fast enough - 4.59 40 yard vs 4.4 for McCourty.

But then I always remember that Ed Reed ran a 4.57 time, and nobody called him slow.

I can see us playing some (or a lot of) 3-safety packages - his versatility would serve us well there, perhaps playing the star.

That would certainly make more sense given his tackling and build. But there is this from Lazar:

(Edit) - He did in fact play FS today:

I’m still surprised by this. I don’t think anyone else has reported it. Maybe they aren’t expecting to play him at FS but want him to get an understanding of how the Pats play the position and want to see how smart he is and how much he can absorb. Maybe it’s a smoke screen with reporters watching today. Maybe he will actually play FS. A lot of maybes.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Mapu does in the Pre-season. If the Pats use him as a "Joker" the way that his college team did that could be a very good thing and allow the Pats to really switch up coverages and rushing the QB.

It IS interesting to note that he ran down Strong in practice considering how fast Strong is.

I’m still surprised by this. I don’t think anyone else has reported it. Maybe they aren’t expecting to play him at FS but want him to get an understanding of how the Pats play the position and want to see how smart he is and how much he can absorb. Maybe it’s a smoke screen with reporters watching today. Maybe he will actually play FS. A lot of maybes.
Based on his film, he covers the field effortlessly, and he hits like a truck. He is going to quickly close holes, if he adapts to the NFL and can stay healthy (big ifs for almost everyone drafted).

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back