PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

<rant>When Exactly Did THAT Happen?</rant>

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't be in the GOAT club when you're in the tub........ durability is a component of a players ability

I find that people referring to Rodgers is that his "physical" attributes are what makes him the "best" player. He is very exciting to watch and as much as Favre was a "gunslinger" and also exciting to watch.

Personally, winning is exciting and if you were building the Frankenstein of QBs, to make the ultimate QB, you would choose Brady's brain as this is what separates him from the rest.

It's just lazy reporting and most media and people have pretty much confirmed Brady is the GOAT. I am at peace and they can be fan boys as much as they want. I've got my QB and that's all I need (well continued OL improvement helps too : )

People also put a premium on Rodgers' ability to scramble. Throwing ability + running = greatest player. But what's missing is that Brady moves in the pocket better + doesn't panic as much + can hit the short throws with players in stride.

So, what do you value more? Rodgers has it over Brady in throwing and running. But Brady does things that result in winning: not panicking, buying time in the pocket, making short throws that move the chains.

Rodgers has holes in his game. So does Brady.

Syntax error in title, missing closing tags for "rant" and "rant over"

Since the beginning of 2009, Aaron Rodgers has 281 TD, 61 INT, and a 105.8 passer rating to along with 21 rushing TD.

In that same time frame Brady has 272 TD, 68 INT, and a 100.9 passer rating and 12 rushing TD.

Is it really such a travesty to entertain the idea that Rodgers might be slightly better? (Personally, I would take Brady, but if I put him ahead of Rodgers he's ahead by a hair.)

I'm sure P Manning would beat Brady (& Rodgers) in statistics if you picked a 6-7 year window for him as well. Doesn't mean much.

Since the beginning of 2009, Aaron Rodgers has 281 TD, 61 INT, and a 105.8 passer rating to along with 21 rushing TD.

In that same time frame Brady has 272 TD, 68 INT, and a 100.9 passer rating and 12 rushing TD.

Is it really such a travesty to entertain the idea that Rodgers might be slightly better? (Personally, I would take Brady, but if I put him ahead of Rodgers he's ahead by a hair.)

People are going to be quick to scream "YEAH, BUT WINS!" or "YEAH, BUT SUPER BOWLS!", but Brady has the luxury of the best coach in NFL history. What would their resumes look like if the roles were reversed? (Brady spends his whole career with Mike McCarthey, Rodgers his whole career with Belichick?)

I hate how thin-skinned sports fans are. Go outside and get a breath of fresh air. It's like, at worst, someone thinks Brady is the second-best QB in the league, and it's now perceived as a giant slap in the face. Practically everyone has conceded that Tom Brady is the GOAT at this point. This isn't "disrespectful". Please, have some perspective.

Well, now you've done it. I'm going to have to bag on Rodgers even though I had no intention to do so, I think he's a great player and fun to watch and I'm sorry he's injured, was looking forward to Tom slaying that dragon this year. But...

No, sorry, it is a travesty. No, it's not "by a hair". You can cherrypick stats to make anything seem different than it is - why do you discard Rodgers' first year when he went 6-10 with 28 TDs and 13 Ints?

Rodgers makes some amazing plays, of the sort that you'll never see Brady make because he doesn't have those physical tools. But Rodgers ALSO doesn't show for some of the biggest games which is WHY he doesn't have the playoff victories and Super Bowl appearances - he tends to lose in the early rounds. He also doesn't actually deserve in any way, shape or form the reputation he has for being "clutch" and leading fourth quarter comebacks. He's very much a front-runner. When he has to take chances and make difficult throws into tight windows to win a game with no margin of error, he often fails - his best weapon is the most dubious of all, the Hail Mary where you basically chuck it and hope your guy comes down with it. Check out the list of 4th Quarter comebacks. Brady is #2 all-time with 40 (Peyton is #1 with 45). Rodgers? He's tied for #89 with 12 guys with 12. He's 9-7 in the playoffs (in games he actually played in), having only made it to the Division Championship 2x! That means he's made the playoffs 8x and only got to the Dance 1x. Brady? 25-9 record, 7 Super Bowls out of 14 playoff opportunities, 5x Champion.

Basically, Brady plays his best against the best opponents with the highest stakes and the highest degree of difficulty. Rodgers plays his best when in front and against lower quality opponents. That transcends the numbers.

As to your postulation that switching franchises would have changed things, I fail to see this. You can't change the kind of football smarts, determination and competitiveness that each man has. The one thing Brady has that puts him above everyone else is his brain and his unshakeable will to win. That's the difference in the stats between these guys. Brady overcomes whatever the situation is to succeed by doing what needs to be done, whether that means handing off the ball or putting his guys in safe positions to catch it rather than get lit up by DBs, or changing play calls to give his lineman the position to get to the blitz or taking the quick checkdown rather than running around waiting for something big to open up. That's what those wins and losses reflect. If Rodgers was on the Browns playing for a Jim Caldwell sort of coach, that would be one thing. But he's playing for one of the best managed franchises in the league and has had a trio of great wideouts for practically his entire career (Donald Driver, Jordy Nelson and Greg Jennings).

People’s perceptions have a lot to do with Rodgers being much more athletic than brady. On the other hand Brady looks more like a male model. People can’t get past that.

Rodgers has holes in his game. So does Brady.
Right. Semantics and I mostly agree, but I see it more like an added bonus if you can scramble well. Though, Brady either developed his pocket presence partly because he can't scramble or because he's just born with it. Either way, it has served him (and us fans) well.

Rodgers - and Peyton - can lay claim to being the best regular season QBs, but when it comes to being the GOAT that's not good enough. I'll take the guy who holds every meaningful postseason record, thanks.

GB were the main game on Sky TV here a couple of weeks ago (as they were last night as well), and they started with a montage of stats where Rodgers was ahead, declaring him the best of all time. They cut to the studio and asked the two pundits if Rodgers was the best, and they both instantly said: "no". No hesitation. No question.

There's no debate.

Well, now you've done it. I'm going to have to bag on Rodgers even though I had no intention to do so, I think he's a great player and fun to watch and I'm sorry he's injured, was looking forward to Tom slaying that dragon this year. But...
Playoff career:
Rodgers: 17 games, 36 TD, 10 interceptions, 99.4 passer rating
Brady: 34 games, 63 TD, 31 INT, 89.0 passer rating

The narrative that Rodgers doesn't show up in big games is inaccurate.

By the way, you know who also has an amazing win-loss record and has a stellar playoff career? Russell Wilson. I don't know about you, but I don't think that Wilson can sniff Rodgers/Brady's jockstrap. Brady has a better organization/coach than Rodgers does. It's not hard to see how people would factor that into their opinion.

Also, let me again emphasize in my original post that I think Brady is better. Getting upset about someone suggesting Rodgers is better is really insecure. Accept that other people are going to have opinion other than your own. It's not hard to see why someone might give Rodgers the edge. This constant victim playing by Patriots fans is really a bad look.

The only real edge I'd give Rodgers playoff-wise is the fact that Brady's never lost a playoff game where he's played great. He doesn't have a game like Rodgers did against ARI in 09.

Brady has 12 TD's and 12 picks in his playoff losses. Rodgers is 15-7.

I hate the argument people use to downgrade Brady by saying 'he's had Belichick his whole career'.

Obviously it's an advantage over any other quarterback in history but nobody ever mentions that Belichick is first and foremost a defensive genius (despite some of the pitiful defended the patriots have had in the last 10 years).
Nobody ever mentions that Brady has played under 3 different OC's in 4 different regimes.
Nobody ever mentions Brady has mastered so many different primary offensive stratagems.

Rodgers has pretty much played the same strategy for his whole career whereas Brady has used multiple different offensive stratagems.

Once again, I awake to the sounds of the veneration of Aaron Rodgers and lamentations over his being injured. And over and over again, I hear people call him "the best player in the league in the most important position". . . .

When is this ageism going to end? Brady is the best QB in the league, and still was long before Rodgers snapped his clavicle for the 2nd time.

Just a reminder - he's snapped his clavicle more times than he's played in a Super Bowl.

On the day when Brady tops the third most important statistical category giving him the trifecta, I want to hear NOTHING about this pretender other than how his career is basically a great big "if only..." Wouldn't have traded them straight up even before the injury.

Okay, glad I got that off my chest.

Beautiful man.

Rodgers is an incredibly gifted QB and easily one of the most talented we've ever seen. His achievements aren't as prolific as Brady is.... but with better coaching and a better system, who knows where he'd be now.

I see no reason to sh*t on Rodgers now... can we end the GOAT debates till he returns at least?
What GOAT DEBATE? Rodgers is barely in the top 10.

Playoff career:

By the way, you know who also has an amazing win-loss record and has a stellar playoff career? Russell Wilson. I don't know about you, but I don't think that Wilson can sniff Rodgers/Brady's jockstrap. Brady has a better organization/coach than Rodgers does. It's not hard to see how people would factor that into their opinion.

Also, let me again emphasize in my original post that I think Brady is better. Getting upset about someone suggesting Rodgers is better is really insecure. Accept that other people are going to have opinion other than your own. It's not hard to see why someone might give Rodgers the edge. This constant victim playing by Patriots fans is really a bad look.

People need to stop buying the hype about Rodgers. Just because a mediot says something it doesn't mean we have to believe it. Here's a list of active NFL QB's and their career 4th quarter comebacks:

Brady 40
Eli 30
Ben 29
Brees 28
Stafford 26
Ryan 28
Rivers 24
Cutler and Palmer 24
Flacco and Smith 19
Wilson 18
Dalton 15
Luck 14
Carr, Newton, Tannehil and Rodgers 12
Schaub 11
Sanchez 10
Cassel and Fitzpicksix 9

A vast majority of Rodgers' 12 4QC's were against losing teams, mostly the Lions and Bears. The two exceptions were an 8-7 Bears team at the end of 2013 and Dallas in a 2015 playoff game.

Playoff career:

How did Rodgers perform against Seattle in the 2014/15 playoffs vs. Brady? How about against Atlanta last season? One was a winner, the other wasn't.

As far as overall stats, much of Brady's career was prior to major rule changes helping offenses and QB's. Rodgers' career began after those rule changes. Plus, the Packers have always invested more in receivers than the Pats have.

Rodgers is great, but it's no contest.

As far as overall stats, much of Brady's career was prior to major rule changes helping offenses and QB's. Rodgers' career began after those rule changes. Plus, the Packers have always invested more in receivers than the Pats have.
And yet earlier in the thread I compared numbers from 2009 forward, when both quarterbacks were playing under the same rules and played in nearly an identical number of games. Rodgers compared favorably.

Playoff career:

So since Rogers doesn't have as good a history as Brady going deep in the playoffs suggest that he might have better stats because the opponents are easier. Actually making it to the next round means the defenses get better

And yet earlier in the thread I compared numbers from 2009 forward, when both quarterbacks were playing under the same rules and played in nearly an identical number of games. Rodgers compared favorably.

Rodgers is an oustanding QB, but he doesn't do all the things necessary to win that Brady does. Brady never quits. He perseveres. Comparing favorably is one thing. Winning is another. That is reflected in their comeback wins and game winning drives. Manning has more, but also a lot more losses. Rodgers isn't in the same category as either of them. His history of leading comebacks is actually quite poor despite his rep which is based on a few lucky Hail Mary's.

As I said, GB invests more into elite receivers than the Pats do which effects stats.

In Rodgers' fourth season he took over a talented team that had gone 13-3 the year before and won just 5 games. Brady took over a team that was supposed to be lousy and had gone 5-11 the year before and led them to a Super Bowl victory. No contest.

Brady, 11 conference finals in 15 seasons, 7 SBs, 5 SB wins. Rodgers, no where close to that. How many turnovers did his defense get against Seattle in the NFC finals? How many points did he put up in the 4th? Brady led two straight TD drives in the 4th against that same team which hadn't allowed any TDs (in the fourth) since mid season. Clutch. No contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick