PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

<rant>When Exactly Did THAT Happen?</rant>

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEA_Pat

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Once again, I awake to the sounds of the veneration of Aaron Rodgers and lamentations over his being injured. And over and over again, I hear people call him "the best player in the league in the most important position".

So what exactly has he done to remove the GOAT from that pedestal? Won a 2nd Super Bowl? Nope, hasn't even BEEN to a 2nd Super Bowl. Meanwhile, what's Tom done? Won TWO Super Bowls in THREE Years!

When is this ageism going to end? Brady is the best QB in the league, and still was long before Rodgers snapped his clavicle for the 2nd time. Just a reminder - he's snapped his clavicle more times than he's played in a Super Bowl. On the day when Brady tops the third most important statistical category giving him the trifecta, I want to hear NOTHING about this pretender other than how his career is basically a great big "if only..." Wouldn't have traded them straight up even before the injury.

Okay, glad I got that off my chest.

Brady is only the GOAT when people want to disparage Belichick's contributions as a coach.

Belichick is only a great coach when people want to say Rodgers would be better than Brady if he had the same coach.

Sucks, but that's how it works in today's sports media.

I find that people referring to Rodgers is that his "physical" attributes are what makes him the "best" player. He is very exciting to watch and as much as Favre was a "gunslinger" and also exciting to watch.

Personally, winning is exciting and if you were building the Frankenstein of QBs, to make the ultimate QB, you would choose Brady's brain as this is what separates him from the rest.

It's just lazy reporting and most media and people have pretty much confirmed Brady is the GOAT. I am at peace and they can be fan boys as much as they want. I've got my QB and that's all I need (well continued OL improvement helps too : )

Once again, I awake to the sounds of the veneration of Aaron Rodgers and lamentations over his being injured. And over and over again, I hear people call him "the best player in the league in the most important position".

So what exactly has he done to remove the GOAT from that pedestal? Won a 2nd Super Bowl? Nope, hasn't even BEEN to a 2nd Super Bowl. Meanwhile, what's Tom done? Won TWO Super Bowls in THREE Years!

When is this ageism going to end? Brady is the best QB in the league, and still was long before Rodgers snapped his clavicle for the 2nd time. Just a reminder - he's snapped his clavicle more times than he's played in a Super Bowl. On the day when Brady tops the third most important statistical category giving him the trifecta, I want to hear NOTHING about this pretender other than how his career is basically a great big "if only..." Wouldn't have traded them straight up even before the injury.

Rodgers is an incredibly gifted QB and easily one of the most talented we've ever seen. His achievements aren't as prolific as Brady is.... but with better coaching and a better system, who knows where he'd be now.

I see no reason to sh*t on Rodgers now... can we end the GOAT debates till he returns at least?

It's ironic that the type of play that seems to make the media proclaim him the best and the most 'talented', the run away from the pocket as soon as option one is covered, ended his season.

Agree 100%. The league has shown time and again that being a mobile QB leaves you open to injury more frequently. If the reason you're so good also increases the potential you'll be out for the year, then maybe it's actually a liability. Durability absolutely factors in to the GOAT discussion.

I'd also say that the reason people are saying Rodgers is the best in the league right now is specifically because of the injury. They want the narrative to sound better. If God forbid, something happened to our guy, they'd absolutely begin each story with "Tom Brady, the greatest QB of all time, sustained a hand injury today when he tried to put all of his Super Bowl rings on at the same time."

(I didn't want to actually type out a real injury so I made that one up!)

Rodgers is an incredibly gifted QB and easily one of the most talented we've ever seen. His achievements aren't as prolific as Brady is.... but with better coaching and a better system, who knows where he'd be now.

I see no reason to sh*t on Rodgers now... can we end the GOAT debates till he returns at least?

Excuse me? NO!

The GOAT debate ENDED 9 months ago. It is over. Done. Dusted.

And when the hell did GB become a bunch of scrubs and McCarthy a clown of a coach? I've always thought of them as one of the better franchises in the league, consistently drafting well and putting together a solid defense to go with lots of weapons for Rodgers. You know who wins with whatever he is given to play INCLUDING this year when the defense is last in the league? Do I really need to ask?

Excuse me? NO!

And when the hell did GB become a bunch of scrubs and McCarthy a clown of a coach? I've always thought of them as one of the better franchises in the league, consistently drafting well and putting together a solid defense to go with lots of weapons for Rodgers. You know who wins with whatever he is given to play INCLUDING this year when the defense is last in the league? Do I really need to ask?

Yeah I think 2011 put to rest the idea that a great QB can't win unless his defense is good. How Brady dragged that corpse to the Super Bowl, I'll never know, and we were one Welker catch away from winning it too. Put Rodgers on that team and there's no way they get past the Ravens.

Excuse me? NO!

Brady's GOAT status was never in question for me... but unlike you, I would've never felt the need to make this thread after Aaron Rodger sustained what might be a season-ending injury. It just comes across as petty and immature.

Do you remember what 08' felt like losing Brady..... that's where Packers fans are now. And it casts an even larger shadow over an NFL season that has lost stars like OBJ, JJ Watt, and David Johnson

Brady is only the GOAT when people want to disparage Belichick's contributions as a coach.

Belichick is only a great coach when people want to say Rodgers would be better than Brady if he had the same coach.

Sucks, but that's how it works in today's sports media.

Not just with sports media. This is what fans of opposing teams do all the time. You definitely hit the nail on the head though! It's shameful and quite frankly, pathetic!

So you're saying coaching is the reason Rodgers pre-maturely leaves the pocket and misses the open receiver that came open from scheme, and him not having to escape the pocket?

I love Rodgers, he's the most athletically-talented QB I've ever seen in my life.

But he's not the better QB overall.

And Rodgers has no business in the GOAT conversation yet. He isn't even definitively the best QB in his franchise's history. He's got more talent than Bart Starr or Brett Favre, but he has yet to surpass either of them in terms of accomplishments, at least in my mind. You could argue maybe one or the other, but definitely not both.

What next? Are we letting John Brodie into the GOAT conversation even though he's behind Montana and Young on the 49ers all-time greats list? Might as well invite Jeff Garcia too.

Rodgers may one day be the GOAT. But he might not. And he truly does not deserve to even be a part of the conversation yet. Put him on the list with Michael Vick and JaMarcus Russell for the most athletically-gifted QBs, fine. But not the GOAT list, not yet, not anytime soon.

Brady's GOAT status was never in question for me... but unlike you, I would've never felt the need to make this thread after Aaron Rodger sustained what might be a season-ending injury. It just comes across as petty and immature.

Do you remember what 08' felt like losing Brady..... that's where Packers fans are now. And it casts an even larger shadow over an NFL season that has lost stars like OBJ, JJ Watt, and David Johnson

Let's be clear - I'm not criticizing Rodgers. If people were describing Rodgers as a tremendous talent whose loss is a detriment to the NFL, I'd have no issues whatsoever and this thread would not exist.

I guess, unlike me, you're not sick of hearing Rodgers described as the best QB in the league when the GOAT has won two of the last three Super Bowls and keeps getting up from crushing hits and playing through pain at age 40. Perhaps, unlike me, you don't get annoyed by people saying "Rodgers' career isn't over, he's only 33 and could be the GOAT depending on how the rest goes" when he would have to basically get to every Super Bowl from now until he retires and win 4 out of 6 to even get in the conversation. You think Rodgers' game based mostly on his athleticism is going to age well? Perhaps I'm too easily offended. But I don't care.

<rant>When Exactly Did THAT Happen?<rant over>

technically, your rant is still continuing because you didn't close that tag correctly. (</rant>)

;)

I love Rodgers, he's the most athletically-talented QB I've ever seen in my life.

But he's not the better QB overall.

And Rodgers has no business in the GOAT conversation yet. He isn't even definitively the best QB in his franchise's history. He's got more talent than Bart Starr or Brett Favre, but he has yet to surpass either of them in terms of accomplishments, at least in my mind. You could argue maybe one or the other, but definitely not both.

What next? Are we letting John Brodie into the GOAT conversation even though he's behind Montana and Young on the 49ers all-time greats list? Might as well invite Jeff Garcia too.

Rodgers may one day be the GOAT. But he might not. And he truly does not deserve to even be a part of the conversation yet. Put him on the list with Michael Vick and JaMarcus Russell for the most athletically-gifted QBs, fine. But not the GOAT list, not yet, not anytime soon.
He will never be in the GOAT conversation unless he wins at least three more Super Bowls (not happening) and even then it's only a discussion.

Since the beginning of 2009, Aaron Rodgers has 281 TD, 61 INT, and a 105.8 passer rating to along with 21 rushing TD.

In that same time frame Brady has 272 TD, 68 INT, and a 100.9 passer rating and 12 rushing TD.

Is it really such a travesty to entertain the idea that Rodgers might be slightly better? (Personally, I would take Brady, but if I put him ahead of Rodgers he's ahead by a hair.)

People are going to be quick to scream "YEAH, BUT WINS!" or "YEAH, BUT SUPER BOWLS!", but Brady has the luxury of the best coach in NFL history. What would their resumes look like if the roles were reversed? (Brady spends his whole career with Mike McCarthey, Rodgers his whole career with Belichick?)

I hate how thin-skinned sports fans are. Go outside and get a breath of fresh air. It's like, at worst, someone thinks Brady is the second-best QB in the league, and it's now perceived as a giant slap in the face. Practically everyone has conceded that Tom Brady is the GOAT at this point. This isn't "disrespectful". Please, have some perspective.

Let's be clear - I'm not criticizing Rodgers. If people were describing Rodgers as a tremendous talent whose loss is a detriment to the NFL, I'd have no issues whatsoever and this thread would not exist.

I guess, unlike me, you're not sick of hearing Rodgers described as the best QB in the league when the GOAT has won two of the last three Super Bowls and keeps getting up from crushing hits and playing through pain at age 40. Perhaps, unlike me, you don't get annoyed by people saying "Rodgers' career isn't over, he's only 33 and could be the GOAT depending on how the rest goes" when he would have to basically get to every Super Bowl from now until he retires and win 4 out of 6 to even get in the conversation. You think Rodgers' game based mostly on his athleticism is going to age well? Perhaps I'm too easily offended. But I don't care.

LOL... at least you're not denying it :DAppreciate the honesty!

Packers fans are notorious for bringing up Rodgers vs. Brady at random moments..... can't blame you for wanting to settle a score here. Just think it sucks to see him go down with an injury.

Are you serious dude?!?! Rodgers doesn't belong in the same sentence as Michael Vick and JaMarcus Russell. Not at all.

Rodger is not the greatest, but he's easily one of the best QBs ever to play the game. He needs to win at least one more Super Bowl to enter the GOAT conversation.... and we know winning multiple Super Bowls ain't easy. LOL
So you're saying coaching is the reason Rodgers pre-maturely leaves the pocket and misses the open receiver that came open from scheme, and him not having to escape the pocket?
No. And I'm not trying to under-sell Brady's greatness either.....but he's been able to develop a nice symbiosis with Belichick as his Head Coach and GM. Rodgers, with that same benefit, would probably excel further
.... and perhaps even have more Super Bowl appearances (and/or wins)

Last edited:
Rodgers' backers should be happy. At least they have an excuse for injury this year, rather than the one-ring wonder flopping in the playoffs again.

No. And I'm not trying to under-sell Brady's greatness either.....but he's been able to develop a nice symbiosis with Belichick as his Head Coach and GM. Rodgers, with that same benefit, would probably excel further than he has.... and perhaps even have more Super Bowl appearances (and/or wins)

Yeah, maybe. But If Belichick was able to carry Brady, HGH Sexual Predator, and Rodgers and let them compete, Brady wins the job every time. Hands down! No Contest!

I view it like this:

Rogers... the superior passer
Brady... the superior QB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back