PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bennett doesn't think Brady is GOAT that he has played with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely a good chance of that. Any fan has their team colored glasses on.
.....and so it follows that rival teams fans have thier light blocking glasses and will grasp at straws to dismiss the accomplishments of players that are most threatening to their teams success.....past, present and future

But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if right now Brady got the most votes for goat. The real test will be if he still does 10 years after he retires.

He will get more. For two reasons.

1. He is not done yet.
2. He is right now still a very unliked player. When he is done that will fade and his accomplishments will speak louder since there will be less bias against him.

1. He is not done yet.
2. He is right now still a very unliked player. When he is done that will fade and his accomplishments will speak louder since there will be less bias against him.

Don't forget he undoubtedly has the benefit of being a current great. Much like people think that guy on Golden State is the goat. (Really I've heard it being discussed.)

It's hard for people to accept the best of their generation isn't necessarily the best of all time.

10 years from now I'd expect some new guys to be getting votes as well as some older guys (mainly Montana).

Maybe that's the big divide? How much someone values SBs.

I think it's an important piece of the puzzle, but certainly not the most important.

Hell, any legit list of best QBs probably contains Marino. And doesn't include Flacco.

No GOAT list has Marino on it. What a massive goal post moving statement that was.

No GOAT list has Marino on it. What a massive goal post moving statement that was.

Yeah, we really don't judge QBs the same.

Fyi, I think most lists have Mario ranked between 5th and 10th all time.

Don't forget he undoubtedly has the benefit of being a current great. Much like people think that guy on Golden State is the goat. (Really I've heard it being discussed.)

It's hard for people to accept the best of their generation isn't necessarily the best of all time.

10 years from now I'd expect some new guys to be getting votes as well as some older guys (mainly Montana).

Him being current is probably working against him. People will hate him less when he is gone.
Its cute that you seem to want to debate this. TB is the GOAT. He will never be surpassed in any of our lifetimes. Best of generations is irrelevant. All that matters is winning against your pers which TB has done more overwhelmingly than anyone has ever.

The only way Montana will get more votes is if he wins more superbowls. A future player will have to top TBs accomplishments, which is most likely not going to happen. I am sure there are people who think Rotherisburger , Eli Manning or JJ Watt are the best players ever.

It matters not. If Brady diddnt have resume and hardware that he has and NE fans were proclaiming him the GOAT everyone would use the lack of hardware and resume against them. Now that TB has that you have this frantic, and ridiculous garbage being posted how now there is new criteria for GOAT and some "in the moment" crap, and ERA nonsense (which is nonsense) and blah blah blah.

Its really pathetic that people just cant be genuine and secure and admit when someone has rewritten the book on what it means to be the greatest. And appreciate greatness like patriots fans did of Montanna all the years he was a football God.

And, something tells me that if Montana played for the Pats and TB for the 49ers you would be singing a different tune.

You have thrown out so many red herrings in this discussion its laughable. But seeing you are a Jets fan spending time posting on a Pats forum I guess the bar wasnt set very high to begin with.

Yeah, we really don't judge QBs the same.

Fyi, I think most lists have Mario ranked between 5th and 10th all time.

Fyi, 10th all time is not the GOAT. Best all time is the GOAT. There isn't 10 QB's on a GOAT list.

I know it's a bitter pill to swallow that the hated Brady plays for the hated Patriots and he is the greatest of all time but let go...let it go man.

1. He is not done yet.

Are we discussing the consensus of a bunch of fans? Or players themselves? Amongst players, former and current, including many Hall of Famers, there is an overwhelming consensus that Brady is the greatest quarterback, if not the greatest football player, of all-time. That has certainly not been a fickle statement with recency bias, as many of them had held onto Montana as the GOAT since 1989.

Amongst fans? Consensus is also Brady, but you also get the most adament haters out there, and they are the loudest. Almost every Broncos fan thinks that Elway is #1. Most Dolphins fans have Marino in the top 3, if not 1st. There's a lot less objectivity when it comes to fans.

blahblah blah, I am a bitter, biased, jealous, Jets fan who cant be objective and have nothing better to do than hang out on a pats forum because I am so obnoxious I was banned from my own teams forum

blah blah blah, Marino could be GOAT, blah blah blah, TB's accomplishments will fade, blah blah blah, pats fans are homers, blah blah blah, you cant compare eras.

It seems many here directly equate SBs to the goat. Fair enough.

I don't agree but to each their own.

That doesn't disqualify Brady, but it doesn't guarantee his spot either. And in no way does someone have to win more rings than someone else to be better.

Don't forget he undoubtedly has the benefit of being a current

That doesn't disqualify Brady, but it doesn't guarantee his spot either. And in no way does someone have to win more rings than someone else to be better.
What do you base it on? Stop trying to disqualify and qualify. Why is Montana or anyone else greater than Brady?

Are we discussing the consensus of a bunch of fans? Or players themselves? Amongst players, former and current, including many Hall of Famers, there is an overwhelming consensus that Brady is the greatest quarterback, if not the greatest football player, of all-time. That has certainly not been a fickle statement with recency bias, as many of them had held onto Montana as the GOAT since 1989.

Amongst fans? Consensus is also Brady, but you also get the most adament haters out there, and they are the loudest. Almost every Broncos fan thinks that Elway is #1. Most Dolphins fans have Marino in the top 3, if not 1st. There's a lot less objectivity when it comes to fans.

Don't forget Ken O'Brien. If Mario is on the list, Ken was drafted before him.

What do you base it on? Stop trying to disqualify and qualify. Why is Montana or anyone else greater than Brady?

Just read my previous posts about the eras and rule changes.

No question Montana would have better passing statistics and possibly a longer career had he played in this era, but what everyone conveniently forgets is that all quarterbacks play by the same rules. As you bump Montana's passer rating 6-8 points higher, you'll also want to do the same for Phil Simms, John Elway, and any other opponents he was facing on a weekly basis. Montana played in a physical league, but one where 250 yards passing was a big game. Let's not forget that the 49ers thrived on a great secondary and criminally underadvertised defense that took full advantage of those defensive rules and hitting the quarterback. Montana's offense, developed by Bill Walsh, capitalized in the physical secondaries by using short, high-percentage passes to gain YAC.

I don't see why winning percentage and championships are not the great equalizer here.

You cannot find a list from anyone that puts Marino as #1. What a crock of ****. Such a ridiculous argument.

I doubt you can find a current list from anyone that doesn't have either Tom Brady or Montana as #1.

The argument for GOAT was between Montana and Tom Brady. Brady won.

If it takes you "ten years" to process what everyone else has already acknowledged nationwide then you might want to think about changing your ridiculous grading system.

Read them before but wasn't impressed. Can't you see you've just disgualified everyone that has post Montana era and rules? Don't you think today's players would have adapted....especially a guy like Brady that is obsessed with perfecting his craft.....he's bigger and heavier than Montana and he always gets up. He is definitely tough enough to have shined in that Era. If he had the same team of players that Montana did his entire career you could easily surmise him duplicating his (Brady )accomplishments if not exceed them. You'd have the same Brady vs Montana arguments that we had with Brady and Manning and despite all that Montana did and despite all that Manning did, they wind up 2nd best. Dude Montana was my football idol. I have his football cards, a Montana jersey and a Montana Plack. I followed him religiously and have many of his games on VCR tape. I have a pretty good perspective.

No question Montana would have better passing statistics and possibly a longer career had he played in this era, but what everyone conveniently forgets is that all quarterbacks play by the same rules. As you bump Montana's passer rating 6-8 points higher, you'll also want to do the same for Phil Simms, John Elway, and any other opponents he was facing on a weekly basis. Montana played in a physical league, but one where 250 yards passing was a big game. Let's not forget that the 49ers thrived on a great secondary and criminally underadvertised defense that took full advantage of those defensive rules and hitting the quarterback. Montana's offense, developed by Bill Walsh, capitalized in the physical secondaries by using short, high-percentage passes to gain YAC.

I don't see why winning percentage and championships are not the great equalizer here.

The 49er's Def wasn't underrated IIRC. It was loaded with stars. Dallas Cowboys had a monster Def as well and usually the NFC championship games back then were must sees. I think the balance shifted to the Cowboys when Deion Sanders left SF and joined the Cowboys.

Anyways the rule change argument is just his silly attempt to shift Brady's GOAT status to Dan Marino or whatever QB he comes up with next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back