PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post mortem: stay or go?

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score

Free Agents
D-Mac: Go :( I think he will retire though.
Slater: Stay but likewise.
J Jones: Go
Meyers: Go :( Will cost a lot IMO
Bryant: Go
Agholor: Go. Thank u next
Wynn: Go. Thank u next
McDermott: Go. I'm sure they can find depth that is better
Peppers: Stay
Ekuale: Stay
Cardona: Stay
Ferentz: Go
Cody Davis: Stay
McMillan: Go
M Wilson: Go
Harris: Go :( If there was a way he could guarantee he'd stay healthy then stay.
Cannon: Go. He done.
Cajuste: Stay
Carl Davis: Stay
Palardy: Go. Had a good game yesterday but he was terrible this season.
Slowjuan: Go. Thank u next
Wilkerson: Stay

I won't do the whole list, but I anticipate Jones and Harris being undervalued by other teams and potentially having a path back to the Patriots despite the presence of other younger players at their positions.

I kind of unironically believe Ferentz has a spot on the roster for as long as he wants one. Bryant's job security also appears to be better than it deserves to be.

Meyers sounds like a future Raider to me. He already passed the initiation with flying colors.

Free Agents
Harris: Go :( If there was a way he could guarantee he'd stay healthy then stay.
i would bring mcdermott in for depth and competition. He is better than Cajuste.
i agree with this list otherwise
Jonathan Jones i would not resign and chase some bigger outside CB to have Jack Jones on the other side, MJ in the slot and Mills Peppers Dugger Phillips as some sort of Safeties

Free Agents
Pretty much agree with you there.

I think that Meyers and J Jones could probably get 10+ millions year on the open market.

I think Jones playing on the outside this year helped him in that regard. Meyers apparently indicated that he wanted to stay so it probably cost him a couple million if he stays. I think the Pats could keep him with a contract around 8-10M/y.

Pretty much agree with you there.

I think that Meyers and J Jones could probably get 10+ millions year on the open market.

I think Jones playing on the outside this year helped him in that regard. Meyers apparently indicated that he wanted to stay so it probably cost him a couple million if he stays. I think the Pats could keep him with a contract around 8-10M/y.
10 million AAV for Meyers is a bargain. He is definitely going to hit 12-14.

I think Meyers needs to stay. He’s the only receiver on the roster that completely knows that slot role that is so important for this team. I also think he showed improved quickness and athleticism this year. With the craziness of the receiver market I think $10m would be a bargain.

Like many things with the 2022 Patriots, Myles Bryant was genuinely offensive to watch on a consistent basis. I'm just some schlub who catches ~20 games a year and it was plainly obvious to me. I can't imagine Bill's thoughts watching live or back on film each week.

I don't think he is on your list but Myles Bryant needs to go very far away.
He is on the list right under Meyers and I agree. Had himself quite the game yesterday.

Free Agents
Good luck to the Team who pays Jakobi Meyers a lot he's good not great.

Surprised you don't want McDermott. He filled in very nicely and should be cheap. Either starter or really good depth guy.

I wouldn't go more than 12M per for Meyers. Good player though.

Free Agents
Thanks for taking the time to list the players. I guess I would be open to McDermott sticking around as a depth option as I think he has helped to stabilise the line compared to what it was....worth a look.

It's going to be hard to keep Meyers, because everybody except this BBS knows he's one of the best route runners in the NFL. He is what he is and that is a valuable piece to have. You also need someone to throw to him, which, along with the O coaching, is the major issue in NE. (it's nice to have a superstar receiver, but that's not what's holding us back from where we need to get.... to competence. That's the "last piece you need" to become dominant when everything else is in place.)

Nelson Ahlgolong might not be much coveted around the league after his time here, and I would keep him if he carries a reasonable price tag going forward -- but you know he doesn't want that outcome, and people elsewhere might value him at what he's done in his best years, because now NE is perceived as breaking WRs. It's just what we do. You can discount bad play in NE to an extent.

Just think, it used to be that former NE receivers would go elsewhere and they would watch the numbers shrink. Now if another team is looking at N.A., they'll be thinking "well it's hard to tell how a receiver will do here, NE is a s****show in the passing game" (shrug)

Harris out. Remember a year ago when we'd never replace what Sony Michel provides? Stevenson has one more year before his payday, so we need to be on to a whole nother Harris soon. (unless we are okay with a smaller, fast-AF-guy carrying the load.... that doesn't sound like us.) Old Harris doesn't give us the same level of bulldozer that Rhamondre does, IMO, although for his size he packs a punch. Still, we can part with him comfortably. We stockpiled at the position and still have time before we have to feed the meter again.

I would be pretty butthurt to see J Jones go. He's got consistent chops in the defensive backfield/star chops at times. But we're deep at the Jones position, so it's unlikely we'll pay the man. I kid of course... but we are deep at CB and it is a pricey position.

However, hold the phone, using the age-old "who bought a house" theory of player movements, we've got him.

Are we holding Slater accountable at all for the disastrous ST play this season? He's the captain after all. I don't get the untouchable attitude toward this player.

Big mistake to let him go unless you're bringing in an elite WR1. Meyers is very good at his role for this offense, whichever way they're lining it up. If you let him go then you need to replace him and still bring in at least an ordinary WR1.

Are we holding Slater accountable at all for the disastrous ST play this season? He's the captain after all. I don't get the untouchable attitude toward this player.

Big mistake to let him go unless you're bringing in an elite WR1. Meyers is very good at his role for this offense, whichever way they're lining it up. If you let him go then you need to replace him and still bring in at least an ordinary WR1.
Agree Meyers athleticism on jump balls showed a lot this last game . The FA WR class this year sucks . If it is below 12 million get Meyers in .

Problem was paying 25 million for Tight ends and not knowing how to gameplan with them . That's what killed this team along with swinging the fences for agholor and Wynn . 50 million of cap space on 4 players watered away.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back