PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post mortem: stay or go?

I understand how many don't see Meyers as being worth the money, but he deserved what Agholor made in the last couple years. He's not flashy, but is the most consistent we've had at getting open AND catching the ball. I'm OK if we throw a ton of money his way....

Mac will be our QB next year. Along with the oline and OC situations this year, if we don't re-sign Meyers, we're paralleling the Jets tradition of ruining qbs....

Also, as an UDFA, Meyers has a reputation of exceeding expectations. He strikes me as a guy who will rise with his pay raise, while there are a lot of guys who become complacent and get worse.

Other than him, McDermott needs to stay as our line was at its best (not saying much) while he was playing. A valuable Karras-type piece at OT.

DMac is welcomed with open arms if he wants to come back at a reasonable salary, as he showed he still has the capability of being a good starting safety as well as a huge locker room presence.

Pay JoJones. We went into the season expecting a train wreck at corner, and had great play from him and 2 rookies.

Harris will probably be gone unless there is a VERY reasonable, short term deal. Just reality as far as RB shelf life and considering the draft investment in RBs on the roster.

In a world where Christian Kirk gets 4/72,000,000 with 37 million guaranteed, Meyers gets over 10 million per year, easily.

He is consensus best free agent WR.
Schuster is the top FA. If teams want to pay a guy like Meyers who can only get open off rub routes and a MLB biting off PA, then be my guest.

Schuster is the top FA. If teams want to pay a guy like Meyers who can only get open off rub routes and a MLB biting off PA, then be my guest.

The pundits I’ve seen disagree with you. They all think Meyers is the top free agent WR.

The pundits I’ve seen disagree with you. They all think Meyers is the top free agent WR.

I hope he gets offered a ton of money that Bill doesn't want to match.

Meyers separation against man coverage is in the top 5 in the league this year. He also makes plays in contested situations.

Meyers separation against man coverage is in the top 5 in the league this year. He also makes plays in contested situations.
Let me guess....PFF? You really think he's a top 5 guy against man coverage out of all the WR's in the NFL? Come on!

You're the GM, how much are you paying him?

Pay JoJones. We went into the season expecting a train wreck at corner, and had great play from him and 2 rookies.
I don't agree with that. People had questions about who would fill in for the players who left but it was answered quickly. Other people such as myself thought they'd be fine and they were.

In a world where Christian Kirk gets 4/72,000,000
I think the Kirk contract is not looking as bad now as when it happened.

Kirk is more explosive than Meyers and I don’t really know what is the exact market for Patriots possession receiver but he is very consistent so I expect to be able to get around 12M at the very least on the open market

That seems like a very strange thing to hope for.

As to the OP, no strong feelings other than Myles Bryant needs to be gone far far away.

Bryant fits the type of corner BB likes that understands his complex schemes, but lacks athleticism. Kind of like the Jordan Richards situation. Richard's went on to do nothing. Let's hope Bryant is gone. Everyone pray extra hard. Let's draft two more corners. Better yet sign a corner in FA and draft one.

Last edited:
Let me guess....PFF? You really think he's a top 5 guy against man coverage out of all the WR's in the NFL? Come on!

You're the GM, how much are you paying him?
I don’t think he’s a top 5 receiver, no. But I don’t think those stats are meaningless either. My point is I don’t think Meyers needs to be schemed open all the time to get the ball. They ran a lot of those same rubs for Edelman and welker.

In terms of money, I think we are all still coming to terms with the fact that $10 million + is the new norm for any starter level wide receiver play. Top players get 20+, any player deemed worthy of meaningful snaps and production will get 10 at least. It’s just a new norm and different market. I think if Meyers only motivation is money (which I doubt it is listening to him), he’ll get 12-14. That’s just the nature of the market.

I don’t think he’s a top 5 receiver, no. But I don’t think those stats are meaningless either. My point is I don’t think Meyers needs to be schemed open all the time to get the ball. They ran a lot of those same rubs for Edelman and welker.

In terms of money, I think we are all still coming to terms with the fact that $10 million + is the new norm for any starter level wide receiver play. Top players get 20+, any player deemed worthy of meaningful snaps and production will get 10 at least. It’s just a new norm and different market. I think if Meyers only motivation is money (which I doubt it is listening to him), he’ll get 12-14. That’s just the nature of the market.
I think Meyers is worth $10 Mill Tops I would not give him$12 Mill.

Is Nelson StinksGalore gone yet?? :mad: BB got hosed in that deal can't wait to move on from Jonno Smith and that ridiculous contract.:rolleyes:

Someone will offer Meyers a nutty contract..

Wish him well.

It would be financial suicide to pay Meyers anywhere over $10M dollars and make him your highest paid WR.
We paid Agholor more than that and in two years combined he had one more catch and 31 more yards with 1 less touchdown than Jakobi did in 2022.

We paid Agholor more than that and in two years combined he had one more catch and 31 more yards with 1 less touchdown than Jakobi did in 2022.
Thats why you don’t do it again.

Interesting to note that Meyers (as I predicted) quietly broke into the top 10 all time Patriots WR receptions list. He is now #9, right behind Randy Moss and ahead of Amendola. Pretty good company there considering that Moss and Amendola had Brady, and Meyers had Cam, a rookie QB and this dreadful season.

He is 95 catches away from passing Branch and Glenn which would make him 6th all time.

Not saying he is or is not worth a bazillion dollars but he has done a good job.

Thats why you don’t do it again.
I am all for having Jakobi back if we don't plan on making a big splash at receiver. If we trade or draft a true number 1 guy then I'd feel a little better about letting him walk but he's really been our only consistent offensive player outside of Rhamondre the last couple years and we've seen how hit or miss some of the new guys have been at receiver.

I think the Kirk contract is not looking as bad now as when it happened.

Kirk is more explosive than Meyers and I don’t really know what is the exact market for Patriots possession receiver but he is very consistent so I expect to be able to get around 12M at the very least on the open market
Absolutely. He had a career year going 84 / 1108 / 8 TDs. He also went 6 / 99 / 1 TD in the division winning game where they won by 4. Good pick-up by the Jags.

On Meyers, I agree. Folks saying he needs to take a hometown discount of $8M are insane. There's guys like Andrews and Brown that took a $1M/yr haircut to remain on the team. As much as Meyers wants to stay here, he's not about to take a $4M+/ yr haircut. I've heard as high as 3/$50M. Good luck to him.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back