PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some Thoughts On Cap Arithmetic

Far be it from me to forget the guaranteedness of Jonnu. I remember going into it when we did the Henry/Smith signings. Clearly they thought they'd get a good TE1/TE2 out of it, and we got a meh (for the money) TE1 and an invisible TE2. That said, evaluation isn't easy given all the other factors.

I'll watch and see, but you're probably right, based on memory of both those contracts being written to last.
I don't think the major problem has been the player. The team's use of him has been clunky at best.

In year one McDaniels didn't even want two TE sets, he wanted a traditional FB, we know that because he brought the position back after returning from coaching the Rams in 2012, and the first person he hired after taking over the Raiders was Jakob Johnson.

Our year two coordinator was nobody, it was whoever was standing nearby in the coaches room with nothing else to do. Matt was available to work the radio on Sundays. Obie should be able to utilize Jonnu and get the most out of him, he's good at his job.

The Pats save 8 mil cutting Trent Brown. Trent Brown Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

Hes OK, but what If you draft an LT? Its not like the rookie LT is replacing one of the 7 blocks of granite.

There is a savings of 10 mil parting ways with game show host Hunter Henry Hunter Henry Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

Id rather oust Jonnu, but his agent was too clever.
So you want to enter 2023 offseason with zero offensive tackles on the roster?

A former Pro Bowl LT at 11 million a season is a steal. The entire offensive roster had a down year, Brown was like everyone else... a lesser player because of the coaching disaster that was 2022.

So you want to enter 2023 offseason with zero offensive tackles on the roster?

A former Pro Bowl LT at 11 million a season is a steal. The entire offensive roster had a down year, Brown was like everyone else... a lesser player because of the coaching disaster that was 2022.
Plus Brown's commitment level seems to rise during contract years.

Plus Brown's commitment level seems to rise during contract years.
Brown plus a highly drafted rookie seems like a very reasonable solution at LT.

The issue for Brown at only $11M is motivation. Yes, being in his contract year should help.
===================
We should still look for a 3nd tier veteran RT. The alternative is to tender Cajuste. Also, we could draft a RT with a later pick.

I don't think the major problem has been the player. The team's use of him has been clunky at best.

In year one McDaniels didn't even want two TE sets, he wanted a traditional FB, we know that because he brought the position back after returning from coaching the Rams in 2012, and the first person he hired after taking over the Raiders was Jakob Johnson.

Our year two coordinator was nobody, it was whoever was standing nearby in the coaches room with nothing else to do. Matt was available to work the radio on Sundays. Obie should be able to utilize Jonnu and get the most out of him, he's good at his job.
From your keyboard to God's monitory. I've been toeing a similar line, and frankly, I don't much trust any tried and true reads from the last year (especially). Confounding factors abounded. I won't go so far to say I'm hopeful -- whatever Jonnu did, he didn't knock the socks off the coaching staff. He didn't MAKE them use him. That's a high bar though.

This is the sort of thing that makes it fun to see each year's new product. (Until it's less fun :D)

I think DMac qualifies got the 4 year active service discount that Slater has?

I don't think that is the case because of the void years from DMac's previous contract. Also, DMac isn't going to sign for the vet minimum.

Never trust future cap room numbers, because they assume absurd amounts of carryover. Whatever numbers you saw for 2024 assumed they they will spend none of their $30M+ in 2023 cap room.

That said, the Patriots do have extreme flexibility beyond 2023. Every veteran currently under contract in 2024 can be cut if they’re not worth it.
OTC doesn't assume ANY amount of carry over from previous years. The 155M is based solely on the projected cap and the contracts currently signed. OTC doesn't and can't project NLTBE to LTBE changes. That, along with the Performance offsets that the league pays out are the biggest reasons you see the numbers drop. You also have rookie contracts from 2023 that aren't in the 2024 number.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back