PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We're on to the OFF-Season

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
So, the Patriots ended the season 8-9. Only the 3rd losing season since Belichick became the Pats Coach. However, it IS the 2nd in three years.

What went wrong:
Patricia as the OC/OL.
Judge as the QB coach.
Having to us 5 different players at RT. (Wynn, Herron, Cajustel Cannon, McDermott)
Moving Wynn to RT and Wynn's regression.
Injuries plaguing the secondary (Mills, Jack Jones, Marcus Jones)
Mac Jones seeming to regress.
Jake Bailey hip injury.
Special Teams failing apart down the stretch. (Blocked punts, Penalties, Numerous TD returns)
Bourne seeming to be in the dog house most of the year.
Barmore's injury.
Trent Brown's move to LT. - Wildly inconsistent all year. something ridiculous like 11 penalties.

What went right:
Brendan Schooler on Special Teams
Team Defense was better than expected. (League lead in Ints. Numerous Pick 6s. Lots of sacks)
Josh Uche takes the next step as a situational pass rusher.
Matthew Judon is a beast.
Marcus Jones and Jack Jones showing up.
Jon Jones showing he's a legit #2 Outside Corner.
Kyle Dugger has arrived.
Pats have a good stable of RBs in Stevenson, K. Harris and Pierre Strong.
Michael Onwenu to RG. Only 1 sack allowed all season. Pats didn't miss Mason at that spot.

what should the Pats do going forward:

Get a new OC.
Get a new OL Coach.
Get a new ST Coach.

If rumors are correct, the team is going to have to replace Mayo. Personally, I want MAYO as the DC ad for him to take over as the HC long term.. But I don't see that happening.

Free Agents:
Nelson Agohlor - WR
Devin McCourty - S
Jonathan Jones * - CB
Jakobi Meyers * - WR
Isaiah Wynn - OL
Matthew Slater - ST
Cody Davis - ST
Jabrill Peppers * - LB/S
Marcus Cannon - OT
JoeJuan Williams - DB
Carl Davis - DL
Daniel Ekuale * - DL
Michael Palardy - P
Raekwon McMillan * - LB
Joe Cardona * - LS
Conor McDermott * - OT
James Ferentz - OG
Damien Harris - RB
Yodny Cajuste - OL
Myles Bryant - DB
Kristian Wilkerson - WR
Mack Wilson * - LB
Quinn Nordin - K
Scotty Washington * - TE
LaBryan Ray * - DL

Players on the PS:
Bill Murray - OG
Lynn Bowden - WR
Jamie Collins - LB
Garrett Gilbert - QB
Terez Hall - LB
Brad Hawkins - S
Quandre Mosely - CB
Tre Nixon - WR
Jeremiah Pharms - DL
J.J. Taylor - RB
Tristan Vizcaino - k
Hayden Howerton - OL
Matt Sokol - TE
Calvin Munson - LB

* = players that I think the Pats will bring back.

What pick are we gonna get? Washington winning vs. Dallas here would be huge. Think we can pick as high as 14 and as low as 16. Pitt will be above us no matter what.

What pick are we gonna get? Washington winning vs. Dallas here would be huge. Think we can pick as high as 14 and as low as 16. Pitt will be above us no matter what.
15th iirc

What do they do with Jonnu smith?

Need a quarterback upgrade or else that Brady vs Bills 30 something wins to 3 is going to be reversed in the Bills favour, how can you expect to win with Mac Jones in a conference with Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes and Joe Burrow.

I get there's people who still believe in Mac, a lot of people still believe in Kirk Cousins and he's almost 10 years in and a lot of money for not a lot of results.

Considering we don't have our own pick in rounds 3,5,7 it's going to be rough watching those picks go elsewhere.
But the consolation is that we have the following:

Carolina 2023 3rd round pick
Rams 2023 4th round Pick
Carolina 2023 6th round pick
Las Vegas 2023 6th round picks

Looking at the standings:
Chicago & Houston have the 1&2 picks, just not sure who has the tie breaker.
Arizona, Denver, and Indy will be at picks 3,4, & 5. Again, not sure the tie-breaker.
Rams & Raiders will have 6 & 7.
Atlanta, Carolina, New Orleans, Tennessee, Cleveland and NY Jets have 7 wins. so picks 8-13.
Pitt has the 18th pick by virtue of having a 9-8 record by missing the play-offs.

Picks 14-16 are in flux. It will depend on who the winner of the DET/GB game is and whether Seattle Wins.

Defense played really well which saved us from a very embarrassing record and just need a couple pieces.

I always believe STs are easy to fix - not worried about that. So we need to put most of our resources on the offense.

1) Get a new OC/QC and hire a few more coaches to refresh the pipeline

2) Get rid of the deadwood and replace with a number 1 WR and TE

3) Get some tackles

4) Extend Meyers

We have the money and draft capital for all this.

Not a believer in Mac but we should give him 1 more year before we make a decision.

Defense played really well which saved us from a very embarrassing record and just need a couple pieces.

I always believe STs are easy to fix - not worried about that. So we need to put most of our resources on the offense.

1) Get a new OC/QC and hire a few more coaches to refresh the pipeline

2) Get rid of the deadwood and replace with a number 1 WR and TE

3) Get some tackles

4) Extend Meyers

We have the money and draft capital for for all this.

Not a believer in Mac but we should give him 1 more year before we make a decision.

We have a #1 TE in Henry.
We need to give Thornton time to develop with a REAL OC. Not Patricia who was horrible.
Having a #1 receiver and a #1 TE doesn't mean anything without improved play on the O-line. That has to be the priority after the Coaches.

1) Improve the Coaching
2) Improve the OT depth.
3) find a safety to replace McCourty
4) Find 2 more Corners, though one may be Tae Hayes.
5) Find a back-up C/G though Hines and/or Russey could be the one there

@DaBruinz thanks for starting thread. I think one thing that went wrong for us that you missed was the horrible officiating that cost us at least two games this year.

I think our team has a bright future.

@DaBruinz thanks for starting thread. I think one thing that went wrong for us that you missed was the horrible officiating that cost us at least two games this year.

I think our team has a bright future.
As Bill Parcells once said, You are what you’re record says you are. I’m pretty sure Belichick in his review of the season isn’t making referee excuses.

Considering we don't have our own pick in rounds 3,5,7 it's going to be rough watching those picks go elsewhere.
But the consolation is that we have the following:

Carolina 2023 3rd round pick
Rams 2023 4th round Pick
Carolina 2023 6th round pick
Las Vegas 2023 6th round picks

Looking at the standings:
Chicago & Houston have the 1&2 picks, just not sure who has the tie breaker.
Arizona, Denver, and Indy will be at picks 3,4, & 5. Again, not sure the tie-breaker.
Rams & Raiders will have 6 & 7.
Atlanta, Carolina, New Orleans, Tennessee, Cleveland and NY Jets have 7 wins. so picks 8-13.
Pitt has the 18th pick by virtue of having a 9-8 record by missing the play-offs.

Picks 14-16 are in flux. It will depend on who the winner of the DET/GB game is and whether Seattle Wins.
Plus a 4th round comp for jc Jackson and a possible 6th for Kara’s, no?

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
Back